Contiki and TopDeck

Just wondering since I know there’s some coach drivers and ex-coach drivers here.

I have interviews soon with both these companies even though I don’t have my Category D yet. Was hoping someone could give me a bit of info about the interviews and what to expect.

I know there is a least one TopDeck Driver on here because I read a diary he posted a while ago but I can’t find it again.

Thanks

Citycat ?

Franglais:
Citycat ?

Thats the guy thanks.

Looked through his post history and found some good info there to :smiley:

somefeen:
Just wondering since I know there’s some coach drivers and ex-coach drivers here.

I have interviews soon with both these companies even though I don’t have my Category D yet. Was hoping someone could give me a bit of info about the interviews and what to expect.

I know there is a least one TopDeck Driver on here because I read a diary he posted a while ago but I can’t find it again.

Thanks

I’ll PM you with what to expect at the Topdeck interview.

my mate used to work for a similar company: Encounter Overland.

you are expected to learn fast, be flexible, and not be a crybaby. Mechanical ability is important, as are ‘people skills’. The more languages you can speak the better.

If you’re single, free of commitments and have some wanderlust you’ll absolutely love it. The training is quite intense. It’s pretty much a crash course on doing things “their” way while leaning your way around the main cities of Europe. After that you’ll generally be teamed up with a tour guide and will be let loose so to speak. It’s a young crowd on there so bear that in mind. Plenty of booze swilling around. Keep the bottle and the throttle well away from each other and wait for your rest days.

The pay is slightly complicated and depends on earning yourself your fair share of tips from the punters. Passengers are usually p*ssed up Aussies but a pal of mine who worked on Contiki for a fair few years reckons he did ok in terms of remuneration. Believe you’re expected to go self employed with most of these firms. All gets explained at the interview.

Coach driving is a life I left behind a few years ago. Coach drivers are much more inclusive than (most) lorry drivers in my opinion. Get chatting with some of the lads on the ferry, and most will inform you of the many kickbacks available all across the continent to supplement your income. Take that into account when adding up potential wages etc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

talknonsense:
If you’re single, free of commitments and have some wanderlust you’ll absolutely love it. The training is quite intense. It’s pretty much a crash course on doing things “their” way while leaning your way around the main cities of Europe. After that you’ll generally be teamed up with a tour guide and will be let loose so to speak. It’s a young crowd on there so bear that in mind. Plenty of booze swilling around. Keep the bottle and the throttle well away from each other and wait for your rest days.

The pay is slightly complicated and depends on earning yourself your fair share of tips from the punters. Passengers are usually p*ssed up Aussies but a pal of mine who worked on Contiki for a fair few years reckons he did ok in terms of remuneration. Believe you’re expected to go self employed with most of these firms. All gets explained at the interview.

Coach driving is a life I left behind a few years ago. Coach drivers are much more inclusive than (most) lorry drivers in my opinion. Get chatting with some of the lads on the ferry, and most will inform you of the many kickbacks available all across the continent to supplement your income. Take that into account when adding up potential wages etc

Good post. If you go into it with the right frame of mind beforehand, you’ll have a great time during summer 2020 and beyond.

Also worth noting that Contiki is more of a guided holiday whereas Topdeck is more of a scheduled bus shuttle around Europe for backpackers. Your experience as a driver would vary greatly between the two. With Contiki the tackle is top notch, Topdeck not do much. You’ll be expected to keep your motor up to Tang levels of cleanliness inside and out.

Dragoman is another one the OP might want to look at.

dragoman.com/

Harry Monk:
Dragoman is another one the OP might want to look at.

dragoman.com/

Expat and Alpybus are others that do a similar kind of thing.

citycat:

somefeen:

Thanks

Thanks very much. I would really appreciate that

somefeen:

citycat:

somefeen:

Thanks

Thanks very much. I would really appreciate that

Sent you a PM.

Harry Monk mentioned Dragoman over landing all over the world , to be realistic expect a few months in the UK at HQ learning the ropes on basic mechanics before you hit the high road on a full tour .
I did a tour with Dragoman on a four and a half months tour beginning in Cape Town ending in Harare Zimbabwe .
One fact to bear in mind is , be careful of your chosen team mate .
Choose carefully of the work rota dictated by the tour leader , some daily chores are easier than others , which leads to jealousy and amnesty in the tour group .
With taking anti malaria pills , expect reactions to these pills .The co driver is learning the ropes to become a tour leader .
It says on the Dragoman website that the driver and co-driver do not have outgoing expenses .
On my Dragoman tour , my money went missing ,with some tour members having a luxurious meal at my expense and flying home first class ,so as the beginning of my post , trust nobody .