Content insurance in Cabs

OK, who would be interested ?

I will try and see if we can get a decent amount of drivers who’re interested, then I’ll try and phone around and get us a quote. No commitment.

I will be looking at a content insurance only, not personal damage etc.

I need to know what you recon the avarage value is on the content in your cabs. Anything from curtains, TV, laptop, cooker, knickers… etc

This is posted to various online forums.

■■
Jo

SURELY this is covered by your house insurance ,when i had a fire in the cab my insurance paid up in my case with out any aurgument at all,

Then you were lucky to have an insurance that would cover your belongings when it isn’t in the house. Not all insurances cover your stuff under transport or in this case while being kept in your work place.

■■
Jo

I successfully claimed on my house insurance (Direct Line) when my Sat Nav kit was stolen from my van recently. I have extra Personal Effects away from the home cover which paid out. Theft is only covered if the vehicle is physically broken into.

I think that is probably the best way of covering your belongings and would be surprised if any company offerered cover just for personal effects, but good luck in your quest.

Calv

Yes, you’re right Calv, it’s the best way of getting your stuff covered. I was just thinking since people have mentioned this problem, that if there were a need for getting your stuff in the cab insured we should look into getting a good deal somewhere. But perhaps most drivers are covered by their home content insurance anyway.

■■
Jo

The union I am with, URTU, set up a cab contents insurance scheme for their members. It got such a poor take up that they dropped it after about 5 years, and it looked like a good deal.