Containers

Hi all, looking for some help as usual please.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on setting up a container trailer to carry a 20’ box from a 40’ box setting. I’m ok with the twistlocks, its just the sliding of the trailer and locking the pins correctly.

Or alternatively a video link.

Thanks.

Trailer brake on.
Locking pins button in.
Reverse slightly. (Might need to rock it)
Locking pins button out.
Pull forward gently and they’ll lock into place (you’ll hear it).
Release trailer brakes.

Some have a system where you use the red air line instead of a locking pin button.

Make sure to check where the 20’ setting on the trailer is, it’s usually 6 inches ahead of the 40’ setting but can be a few feet forward as on SDC trailers I’ve used.

[album]4408[/album]

Also good practice to flip over the arms for the 40’/45’ boxes as you don’t want to be sliding into them and in most cases you’ll need to slide to the rear for loading/unloading anyway.

not being funny but your boss should really be showing you …
If not when your at your pick up point as a driver as you’ll find the old hand will pretty much take time to help you out

well they use to :wink:

Must say, whenever I’ve worked on boxes, help was always forthcoming from other drivers. Don’t know why, but there ya go. I’m always happy to help others, but box jockeys seem to be extra helpful. Probably because they don’t want a newbie screwing up a dock pad :wink:

DJC:
Trailer brake on.
Locking pins button in.
Reverse slightly. (Might need to rock it)
Locking pins button out.
Pull forward gently and they’ll lock into place (you’ll hear it).
Release trailer brakes.

Some have a system where you use the red air line instead of a locking pin button.

Make sure to check where the 20’ setting on the trailer is, it’s usually 6 inches ahead of the 40’ setting but can be a few feet forward as on SDC trailers I’ve used.

[album]4408[/album]

Also good practice to flip over the arms for the 40’/45’ boxes as you don’t want to be sliding into them and in most cases you’ll need to slide to the rear for loading/unloading anyway.

+1 on this.

Also some newer trailers with a control box on the rear offside will also have air dump button for airbags on front trailer wheels making manouvering a 20’ box in position 1 (unloading position) easier but still not the best practice with a loaded 20’ box. These trailers may also have the 20’ box position in position 2 (as opposed to 3) and wil say for 20’ & 30’ boxes. Not all have this so always refer to what the trailer instructions say if unsure as usually a 20’ box is position 3 as DJC says.

If the air is down the pins may not release so wiggle backwards and forwards a bit if needed. If in doubt and at the dock find a quiet spot (usually THA) and take your time. Oh and check pins on both sides are in place and never put your fingers near the holes.

Also dont forget to drop your rear twistlocks and support arms out of the way and set the 20’ ones which are normally by the trailer legs and middle axle of the trailer.

The Sarge:
Must say, whenever I’ve worked on boxes, help was always forthcoming from other drivers. Don’t know why, but there ya go. I’m always happy to help others, but box jockeys seem to be extra helpful. Probably because they don’t want a newbie screwing up a dock pad :wink:

Suppose its because the job looks simple but theres so much that can go wrong, I’m always happy to help and will always tell newbies to take their time, don’t let yourself be rushed as we are usually driving round the docks with the twistlocks open.

As said above theres an air dump button for the front suspension on newer trailers but if you have on old one just lower the suspension all the way down when your trying to slide it with a heavy 20 ft box. It’ll make it slide real easy, especially if the rollers are worn

Thanks for all the replies. Had a go tonight and succeeded after taking my time. Noticed whilst in a queue today that some trailers have letters instead of the marking of 20’ 40’. Is the C slot for 20’ boxes?

rookie07:
Thanks for all the replies. Had a go tonight and succeeded after taking my time. Noticed whilst in a queue today that some trailers have letters instead of the marking of 20’ 40’. Is the C slot for 20’ boxes?

If it doesn’t explicitly say, there should be a chart/drawing type thing near the legs explaining which each slot is for.

make sure your on level ground when you shrink or extend the trailer it can make it hard work if you aren’t

Chewyboy:
make sure your on level ground when you shrink or extend the trailer it can make it hard work if you aren’t

Yep, and also, especially with a heavy box, try and get all manoeuvring done before shrinking it, because you WILL lose traction on your drive axle, and if you try going around corners and stuff, can get yourself into a little bother.