Containers...Who's responsible?

I’ve been thinking this for ages but never bothered to ask anyone.

I’ve read on here that with some containers, as they’re sealed, the driver is forbidden to open to back doors to have a look inside…so if the trucks rolls over because of an insecure load…who is responsible? I’ve got a feeling it’ll always be the driver…but I’m just curious as to whether the driver could be absolved of this responsibility if he’s not allowed to check the load.

I was told the driver is not allowed to open the doors.

BIGRIG:
I was told the driver is not allowed to open the doors.

Hence my question…If the driver isn’t allowed to open the doors to check the load, how can they be held responsible if something goes wrong?

i dont think a container driver would be prosecuted for an insecure load for the very reason you state, now if you had been responsible for loading it and taking it back to the docks then that might be a diferent matter. the rule i work by on boxes is if you dont know whats in it then drive as if its stacked to the roof, works for me anyway

chaversdad:
i dont think a container driver would be prosecuted for an insecure load for the very reason you state, now if you had been responsible for loading it and taking it back to the docks then that might be a diferent matter. the rule i work by on boxes is if you dont know whats in it then drive as if its stacked to the roof, works for me anyway

That’s a good rule of thumb and to be honest is common sense. But as I said, I was just curious as to who would be blamed and also shed some light as to who actually says the driver ca’t check the load…is it a company thing or some sort of law?

Having just recently started doing boxes, I have taken heed of the advice given on here in the past insofar as because you don’t know what’s inside, nor how it’s stacked, then take bends and roundabouts s-l-o-w-l-y.

Ken.

Quinny:
Having just recently started doing boxes, I have taken heed of the advice given on here in the past insofar as because you don’t know what’s inside, nor how it’s stacked, then take bends and roundabouts s-l-o-w-l-y.

Ken.

That is the problem I have envisaged, the small amount of containers I have done have come with either little or zilch paperwork and unless you know that the consignor or consignee only sends bulk loads loaded to the roof, easy as you go is the way.

I have mentioned, and been shot down in flames for it, that UK trailers have a higher centre of gravity. Corner castings and bottom rails are “much” higher than the Europeans with their blanket 4.0m rules

The problems of lifting a loaded 12m without a spreader bar :laughing:

But EU Law states that the Driver is fully responsible for the Safety & Contents of the load

At least two of our drivers have rolled due to poor loading and haven’t been prosecuted. The weights on the paperwork seem to owe more to fiction than fact.

I swapped container notes with a more experienced guy one night when in Felix as my return box was where he was taking his off. He came out of the docks and threw the trailer and in turn the truck, straight on it’s side. It turned out that the box contained a press that only weighed 14 ton, but 12 of that was the in the flywheels touching the top of the box.
Another guy I know rolled over because the notes simply said steel, it was actually 4 coils that were not anchored down properly.
Boxes scare me mummy… :blush:

The closest I’ve ever come to losing a box was 1 loaded with coat hangers.

Must admit, bit of an arse twitching moment.

Drive all like they’re full of liquid and you can’t go far wrong.

I’ve no idea how many miles I’ve done with containers, but it’s a bloody lot, and on some ■■■■■■ roads too, and only had that 1 problem.

Strange thing though, some container places have the worst roads you’ll see in the full journey, Isle of Grain anyone?? F/L / RCL Leeds?

You can get permission / someone to observe you open doors if you think there’s a problem with the load, but I don’t know anyone who’s done it to tell me how or who to ask, but if I was in doubt about my cargo, I’d be ringin’ my firm and refusing to move until it’s checked. Sod responsibility, it could kill you.

Technically the driver, although the fact that you were unable to check the load would be a large mitigating factor. I believe the loader and transport manager can also face prosecution along with the driver on dangerous load offences.

waynedl:
The closest I’ve ever come to losing a box was 1 loaded with coat hangers.

Must admit, bit of an arse twitching moment.

Drive all like they’re full of liquid and you can’t go far wrong.

I’ve no idea how many miles I’ve done with containers, but it’s a bloody lot, and on some [zb] roads too, and only had that 1 problem.

Strange thing though, some container places have the worst roads you’ll see in the full journey, Isle of Grain anyone?? F/L / RCL Leeds?

You can get permission / someone to observe you open doors if you think there’s a problem with the load, but I don’t know anyone who’s done it to tell me how or who to ask, but if I was in doubt about my cargo, I’d be ringin’ my firm and refusing to move until it’s checked. Sod responsibility, it could kill you.

I’d agree with that. While drivers have no business removing a customs seal, if, when heading for the outgates (be fair most boxes will be collected from a major port) it feels dodgy, get the old bill/gate staff to authorise it’s removal in their presence.

As for load security, afaik the container forms the load. 4 twistlocks secure them to a trailer. Endex.

However, it doesn’t mean you can’t think for yourself on this issue. If it feels wrong, don’t take it till you’ve seen otherwise!

I’d love to see the chaos that’d ensue at Trinity outgates if this happened… :laughing:

Goaty:
As for load security, afaik the container forms the load. 4 twistlocks secure them to a trailer. Endex.

Thats exactly how i understand it too.

tofer:
Technically the driver, although the fact that you were unable to check the load would be a large mitigating factor.

This is the correct answer!

However, an unsympathetic (or bloody-minded) magistrate or judge could still take the view that you should have insisted that the box be opened to check for yourself :unamused:

I’d agree with that. While drivers have no business removing a customs seal, if, when heading for the outgates (be fair most boxes will be collected from a major port) it feels dodgy, get the old bill/gate staff to authorise it’s removal in their presence.

I very much doubt that they have the authority to authorise the removal of a customs seal.
I would imagine that if you were that worried you would need to get Customs to remove it and re-seal it.
Certainly in terms of weight, drivers have been prosecuted successfully for being overweight because of discrepancies in the available paperwork.

Mmm the old road through the houses to the isle of grain was the one but it was well worth it when you got there to check in at the old portakabin especially if that young lady with the enormous knockers was wearing her bingo top!!!,wahay!!!
But no,unless it was a regular customer and I knew what was in it,id take it very steady for the first few miles till I’d got the gist of it.
I reckon they couldn’t do you for it though if you haven’t loaded it,suppose the same may apply to those that do un-accompanied trailers if their sealed up.

It was my understanding your load is the box, not what’s in it. If all the twist locks are on and secure then that should be that for the driver. I would just heed caution on bends and that and just overall take it easy.

Stuff the company rules, if the trailer is sealed I want to look inside it :wink:

i took a box full of wine to a wharehouse just before xmas.
when i got there some of it was leaking out, when the guy opened the doors,
yep the box wasnt loaded correctly. and no blame at me.lol

like what has been said, if you make sue the 4 twistlocks are secure then you have done your job.
as for rolling your load and or motor, then you have only yourself to blame… go steady.