Containers, unloading and handball

Can anyone let me know the conditions on containers today. I drove out of Tilbury many years ago but only for a few months.
I only remember unloading a few times out of the many boxes I dragged around but each one was hard going and I’m beyond that amount of hard work today. A 20 footer took me 7 hours one time and thats not a possibility anymore just from health and fitness point of view.
Do you still get in the back sometimes or is the client responsible for getting it off now?
I heard different things from different drivers.
Thanks …Tom

We’ve never got in the back (except 45ft short sea boxes) and if a customer or your employer has managed to get you in the back, they took you for a mug. If you work direct for a big company, i.e. the hauliers with direct work, you’ll usually only get quick tips or reloads. The only time the big boys do the handball tips is when there’s a reload right on the doorstep, or the vehicle is contracted to the line. If you work for a subby to one of the big boys, expect lots of long tips

Today drivers do not unload the contents of a container or load it, the receiver does it while you have a sleep.
Containers is a Marmite job , either hate it or love it.
Handball of small packages can take up to seven hours, then some boxes need fumigation for tropical insects and reptiles, some have had deadly spiders.
Some need venting off due to paint or varnish products as staff won’t tip til it’s clear of fumes.
Advisable to take lots of books to read, I used to cycle off for a few hours and they call me when nearly tipped.

Get a mixture of short and long tips only been asked to get in the back twice. First time I politely explained how I wasn’t allowed etc, second occasion I was asked a bit more rudely and just acted daft saying I didn’t feel like it but thanks for the opportunity.

As above though I’ve heard short sea loads are driver assist sometimes.

Course for cash up front on a house move I can be a little more accommodating. :wink:

It can be a little frustrating as somedays I wouldn’t mind getting stuck in. I won’t see anyone struggle though so may assist at ground level if I open the doors and some of the stuff falls out.

Thanks Jay.
Is there any particular outfit that’s good to work for. Preferably who don’t handle short sea 45 footers :smiley:
It’s not laziness. Just my knees are buggered as I’m getting on a bit and suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Can drive ok but if I carry any weight, my knees are agony for a few days…It was 15 years ago when I was on the containers but everyone said you had to unload sometimes. By everyone I mean other drivers in the queue…Thanks.

All depends where you are and how much wages you’re looking for

Short sea boxes, as in from euroland driver may be expected to tip/load the container usually palletised, deap sea boxes it is customer tip/load but they can opt for and pay for a driver assist for pallatised load, you will never be expected to help tip a handball load, last time I did that the rate was £30 for the driver but greedy bosses may not pay it to their driver.

So it seems that generally you don’t get in back but sometimes you do?

Tom55:
So it seems that generally you don’t get in back but sometimes you do?

Only on short sea, and if the customer has paid for it. Like Dipper said, if you’re at a personal effects and the customer is holding, then it’s up to you. I’ve done it the once, but the fella was that shafted for labour, saying no would’ve cost me hours sat there and it was a Friday

You are not insured to go into the container,

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Last question, don’t mean to be a pain with this but I’m afraid of getting out with a box and having to handball heavy stuff off as I just can’t manage it now at 64 and with the arthritis…

Do certain operators get more short sea stuff than others or is it just the luck of the draw for everyone regarding what boxes you get on a given day…

Cheers

Some do it exclusively, others won’t touch it. Some do it during quiet times. Just ask the individual conducting the interview and make it clear that you’re looking at boxes due to ill health and that you won’t be entertaining self tips. You wouldn’t get a handball box anyway. The worst it gets is a Lidl/Aldi tip with electric barrow

Thanks Jay. I appreciate all your advice.
Tom…

The usual suspects, Wincanton, Maritime etc handle a lot of deep sea stuff for say MSC, Stinkers and other smaller hauliers also do it.
[Fork me I tried to type stobarts and stinkers came up on the auto spell :wink: ]

The age old argument of hours worked vs rate can kick in about now but horses for courses, I just love to truck so don’t care… :wink:

I enjoy boxes but then I spend more time on the A14 than I do in the wife, not difficult really as I’m struggling with a bit of premature ■■■■■■■■■■■ at the moment, but I’m waffling now …

Good luck even at 64 you should have no issues on boxes, shutting a stiff un is the hardest part (that’s what she said etc).