Containers - Shipping Line Rates

Would any of you Ladies & Gentlemen have some ideas on what rates the shipping lines are paying the likes of Maritime, Hanbury Davies (Wincanton), DHL etc?

I gather they’re all on a similar rate of about £1.22, plus fuel surcharge?

If anyone has an idea on the fuel surcharge % rate, that’d be great!

I’d be interested to know.

Thank you in advance.

You’re having a laugh right?

Those firms would be charging direct customers a fortune for the work subbies and owner drivers get peanuts (£1.22) for, reputation and ability to guarantee delivery command a hefty premium. I can’t hazard a guess but a wild one would be they are probably on at least north of £2.50/3 per mile and probably more.

Thanks for your post Silver Surfer.

I’m not having a laugh; it’s what I’ve been told. It seems very low to me, which is why I’m asking the question.

Your figures would seem to stack-up more than mine.

Any other contributions gladly received.

I got a rate last year off maritime of £1.43 per mile loaded or empty. I don’t recall any mention of a fuel surcharge.
Let down by DAF for 2 new units so didn’t take it any further.

Last time I had a container brought up from Southampton, it cost £1.51 per mile, round trip. That was sorted out by our forwarder, rather than direct from the shipping line, or through maritime, so I assume that the rate direct from the Shipping line would be higher than that.

Worked on container side for over 10 years now. All the big hauliers, Maritime etc., take about 30% of original rate before paying subbies.

schultz:
Worked on container side for over 10 years now. All the big hauliers, Maritime etc., take about 30% of original rate before paying subbies.

bugger, doing this wrong !! on the rare occasions when I sub work out I only take 10% :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: