Containers on days Trafford park

Hi all been doing general haulage/curtain sided work for the last 4 years. So I’m ready for a change and there’s a great possibility that I will be starting on containers on days out of Trafford park within the next couple of weeks. So any general advice about doing containers on days and the procedures of the container terminal at Trafford park would be very much appreciated as I have zero experience on containers.
Many thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Who you going to be working for a large or small firm,
Freightliner Trafford park can be a nightmare queuing all the way down Westinghouse road,DB shenker next to it not so bad,
Quite a few empty container storage yards around Manchester where you collect or drop emtys…
I left general 3 years ago for it and haven’t looked back it’s easy as pie,in fact we sometimes get a bit of general work during quite periods and it makes you appreciate how easy containers is,once you master the terminals your laughing,
Also if you get your own truck kit it out like your a tramper bedding etc because anything can happen and your need plenty to keep you occupied during long tips.

if its the company i’m thinking of[shiney black trucks full of tattoes] don’t fall into the trap of spending half of your wages on polish just to keep up with the jonese’s, Seriously as previously said container work is a doddle dont get in a faffle when you are in ques and learn to snooze and become lazy… money for old rope good luck

Hi thanks for the replies I think there a fairly big firm but no there not the ones with fancy graphics all over the trucks. I’m looking forward to it after doing general haulage and multi drop work for the last 4 years.

keepthefaith:
if its the company i’m thinking of[shiney black trucks full of tattoes] don’t fall into the trap of spending half of your wages on polish just to keep up with the jonese’s, Seriously as previously said container work is a doddle dont get in a faffle when you are in ques and learn to snooze and become lazy… money for old rope good luck

Yes very good advice although I do spend a little on polish as I get board and polishing passes the time,if near a town centre I also go for walks,it’s great.

yorkshire terrier:

keepthefaith:

Yes very good advice although I do spend a little on polish as I get board and polishing passes the time,if near a town centre I also go for walks,it’s great.

do plenty walks misen yt along with a snooze or two when on a three hour tip always find time to stock the fridge up with fresh food and park where i want compared to rag siders
its a doddle of a job

keepthefaith:

yorkshire terrier:

keepthefaith:

do plenty walks misen yt along with a snooze or two when on a three hour tip always find time to stock the fridge up with fresh food and park where i want compared to rag siders
its a doddle of a job

Anyone who says they can’t do with the sitting around is not doing it right…
You just have to be careful not to get too lazy as some container lads do…

Baldy91:
Hi all been doing general haulage/curtain sided work for the last 4 years. So I’m ready for a change and there’s a great possibility that I will be starting on containers on days out of Trafford park within the next couple of weeks. So any general advice about doing containers on days and the procedures of the container terminal at Trafford park would be very much appreciated as I have zero experience on containers.
Many thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Three places of interest…

Freightliner - This is the main one. Over the bridge next to Maritime’s yard and to the left. See a queue going down Westinghouse Road and it’ll be for this place, as another poster has said it can be a nightmare. You’ll be given a placard to put in your windscreen at the gate, on the back is a map which shows everything, just go to the area it says on the ticket you get given. Need any help, ask another driver once through the gate because the staff aren’t usually the most helpful. Just watch out for the stacker drivers presenting your box with the doors facing the wrong way, they expect you to do a u-turn.

DB Schenker - Other side of the roundabout from Freightliner, you can normally drive past any queues on Westinghouse Road to get to this place. They have coloured tyres dotted around the yard, you just park next to the colour they tell you at the gate & the lifter attends. If lifting on you have to find your box in the yard and park behind it & wait.

Maritime Containerbase - May be printed on your notes as Roadways. On Barton Dock Road behind the Trafford Centre. They won’t serve non-Maritime trucks till after 8am. Place is a dump, but its easy enough… just drive in (no need to stop at gate), turn left & park up and go in the office for instructions. Staff are usually helpful.

One final note, anywhere when a stacker driver presents the container for loading, the standard procedure is to position yourself in front until they beep their horn to signal you to stop.