Containers Liverpool docks

Doing a run to collect a container from Liverpool docks. Not done containers before.

Can anyone give me a run down of best way to get to the docks entrance and then what to do where to go once inside, dos and donts etc

Thanks

Straight down the A5036 following signs for the docks. Go under the A565 flyover, second exit off the roundabout. Then follow signage.
Important thing is to make sure your vehicle is registered on their port system or you’ll be turned away.
As your driving up to the barriers you drive over weigh sender’s. Crawl over these, or again you’ll have to exit and go in again.
If you haven’t been before you’ll need to get a pass. Push the help button on the console customer services will tell you what to do. They tend to be helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I can’t remember…

But you might have to get out of your motor when the lifter gets to you. If you don’t know that and you remain in your cab, after about two minutes your box will go back in the stack and then take lord only knows how long to come back again.

I’m sure more frequent L’pool drivers will be able to tell you.

Do you get told where to drive to after the gatehouse or is it totally obvious? How do you know where to be for the crane? Or again is that obvious?

There’s two docks. The nearest is the lifters similar to Southampton and year you have to set your twist locks and then reverse into bay. When lifter comes you have to get out of the veh.
The other dock is automated similar to gateway. Here you do not get out of your vehicle. Doing so is punishable by death.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On your first visit you need to go to customer services.

You book in via auto gates go straight across the roundabout and park up in front of where the lifter drivers are, think its Container Terminal 1.

Customer services will help you out. 1st visit is on a temporary pass, second visit you need to buy one I’m fortunate enough to have only been once

A temporary 1 time only pass is £20 I think and a 2 year card is £10.

So make sure you can put it on expenses before you go in!

emptyskel:

Me: “Hi, I’m here to collect a container”

Scouse docker: “You’ll have to pay £20 to get in”.

Me: “goodby”

emptyskel:

That price structure makes perfect sense doesn’t it. £20 for one time or £10 for 2 years…

the nodding donkey:

emptyskel:

Customer: failed collection we ain’t paying for the wasted trip and/or failed service/carriage contract.

You: I’m not paying £20 to enter the dock.

Customer : we assume you put the £20 on the rate for the job.

You : no I forgot/expected to get in the dock for no charge delete as appropriate.

Customer : good luck with that in your future container haulage operations.

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:

emptyskel:

Customer: failed collection we ain’t paying for the wasted trip and/or failed service/carriage contract.

You: I’m not paying £20 to enter the dock.

Customer : we assume you put the £20 on the rate for the job.

You : no I forgot/expected to get in the dock for no charge delete as appropriate.

Customer : good luck with that in your future container haulage operations.

Unless things have changed drastically, the last time I pulled boxes, you were only paid if loaded, (despite being expected to bring the empty container back to dock/take empty to collection) you were not paid waiting time, and turn over time in the docks was hours.

I haven’t pulled boxes since 1996.

Your first visit IS free. At this point you are registered on their system and told that you will be charged for a card on your second visit.

It’s only like Immingham and Teesport where they have recently upgraded their port pass systems, your planner should be leaving ample time to sort this stuff out if he knows it’s your first visit or they are making changes.

So, let me get this clear. The dock charges you (the transporter) to get into the docks, so that you can move the container.

Was this dream.mt up by the little tykes who would ask you for “a pound to watch your car mister”…?

And as usual, every company has simply bend over, spread their cheeks, and lubed up… what next, Tosco charging to get into their RDC?

the nodding donkey:
So, let me get this clear. The dock charges you (the transporter) to get into the docks, so that you can move the container.

Was this dream.mt up by the little tykes who would ask you for “a pound to watch your car mister”…?

And as usual, every company has simply bend over, spread their cheeks, and lubed up… what next, Tosco charging to get into their RDC?

Just let the ships come in for free as well like,
let the ports load and unload them for free.

The difference between this and others is the driver is paying and claiming the money back whereas others may charge the haulier direct. It’s really a non issue.