Container work

Hi, I am going to start a new driving job next week witch will be doing container work out of Felixstow. What I would like to know how do you enter the port, and how do you found where you pick up your containers, and do you get a delivery.

vikinglord:
Hi, I am going to start a new driving job next week witch will be doing container work out of Felixstow. What I would like to know how do you enter the port, and how do you found where you pick up your containers, and do you get a delivery.

All quite simple, you need to get a Rhides card first (this will probably get sorted out when you turn up first day). This involves going into the border office (I think that’s what it’s called) and you’ll get a card. You hold this card on the machines when you enter & exit the terminal.

At most terminals you need a VBS, it stands for vehicle booking system, it doesn’t really make sense if think about it when you say it but everybody does. Just get one from the company you work for, they are usually 1 hour time slots (they are at Felixstowe).

Felixstowe has two terminals, Landguard & Trinity, Trinity being the bigger of the two. To get to Landguard, enter the port at gate 2, cross the roundabout & level crossing (disused) and when you get to the second roundabout go straight across (2nd exit) then immediately bear left, that’ll take you to the entrance. Hold card to reader and follow the on screen instructions, it’ll eventually print you a ticket. I just did a big clear out so I can’t say exactly what it should say but it’ll list the terminal, row letter and slot no in one line in bold. The same goes for Trinity. It’s best to ask for a map as I can’t remember it all, it’s been a while.

To get to trinity terminal, enter at gate 1 and turn right at the roundabout, bear left after about 200m and it’ll take you to the machines, again it’ll print you a ticket.

If you’re picking up a box, it could print THA, it stands for temporary holding area, these are quite well signposted.

On your first day you’ll have to go to Pass office for a temp Rhides card (lasts 12hrs and you only get a maximum of 3 so make sure the company have added you to their system so you can get a permanent)

To get to the Pass office follow the A14 all the way to the end roundabout then follow the signs to go through Gate 1 continue straight and go over the roundabout (you’ll see Trewalny building to your left)
Next you reach a small railway crossing you’ll see the Police building- this is where the Pass office is on your left just beyond and on the curve is the entrance to the HGV car park which is reached through a few aisles of containers. Once you have entered the Port with a box on don’t try to leave it again as the Police gate will not allow you. The roundabout mentioned earlier also has the road that joins the two terminals

Follow the instructions on the booking in screens and double check your numbers against the paperwork- don’t worry about it taking time for your first visit- don’t be surprised if the hand scan thing doesn’t work with a Temp card mine never did, just collar one of the guys with the hand terminals they’ll set you right.

On your slip if your given a location straight away don’t panic- you have been given a map from the Pass office that covers both terminals just remember that between the boxes it’s a one way system.

One tip- you might find you have a delivery at one terminal and collection at another, if your leaving with an empty skelly use the far right lanes for getting out and into the next terminal don’t wait in the queues with the boxes on.

Also watch your twist locks, the terminal areas are quite bumpy and more than one time I’ve had a twistlock ‘drop’- they won’t actually fall off the trailer but will be out of position when the box is put on and you need the box re-lifted to put it right which may cost you an hour if you go all the way to the exit gates before you notice.
It’s a bit of a no-no to get out of the lorry but once in the wire lift area you normally have a few minutes to yourself before they kick into action so I tend to do a quick walkround to re-check the twistlocks

At the exit gates when you park the barrier will automatically lift- don’t take this as a sign you’re free to go, you need to get out and scan the Rhides card again twice (the gate agent needs to sign the job# off on your printed slip first though so have this to hand) then proceed to the Police checkpoint at the exit gate and they will let you go on your way

I hope this is of help