Container work

Hi guys,
Normally I do curtainside work going to RDC’s but tomorrow I’m on the containers. I have never done this before so was just wondering what to expect, especially when at the docks.
Any advice, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Alot easier than curtain side work! and the dock procedure would depend on which one/ones your going to, because no two are the same!

Plenty of info on site if ya do a search. Most common boxes are 40ft high cubes (9" 6’ high). If you pick up an import, take it easy for a bit as boxes get loaded unsupervised so can be top heavy, also watch for loose items falling out when you open the doors.

Which dock are you operating from?

Not sure which docks, but as I’m with Sparks in Glastonbury I’m guessing it’s gonna be Avonmouth.

Beef:
Not sure which docks, but as I’m with Sparks in Glastonbury I’m guessing it’s gonna be Avonmouth.

they also go into Southampton, iirc.

Well any advice for either of those docks would be great.

Beef:

Cant help you with Avonmouth, but Southampton is pretty straight forward, you will need dock gate 20, once youve been through pre ingate, which is were you will enter your VBS number, make sure you get one and make sure you arrive ontime you have a 2 hour window from the start time.
If you are going there you will also need to take a driver awereness assesment, which is done online on there web site, which is here http://www.dpworldsouthampton.com/vbs/vbs-intro/driver-engagement-video/ the video is very informative of there procedure from entering the port to going to the lift areas which are all marked and sign posted and leaving, once you have watched the video you can then do the test, which if you pass you will be able th7o print out, you will need this pass certificate to go on the terminal!

I see them at So’ton frequently. So’ton is fairly easy to navigate as most is on signs. TA 1 & 2 turn right at the roundabout by the security hut & TA 3 to the left. Entrance to TA1 & 2 is a couple hundred metres up on the left you can’t miss it. For area 3, follow the main road past the carrier crossing, bend right, immediately bear left and then turn right at the roundabout you get to (almost doubling back on yourself).

DJC:
I see them at So’ton frequently. So’ton is fairly easy to navigate as most is on signs. TA 1 & 2 turn right at the roundabout by the security hut & TA 3 to the left. Entrance to TA1 & 2 is a couple hundred metres up on the left you can’t miss it. For area 3, follow the main road past the carrier crossing, bend right, immediately bear left and then turn right at the roundabout you get to (almost doubling back on yourself).

Do you actually need to have the certificate to go on, not been since I did it, was going in there regular.

weeto:

Beef:

Cant help you with Avonmouth, but Southampton is pretty straight forward, you will need dock gate 20, once youve been through pre ingate, which is were you will enter your VBS number, make sure you get one and make sure you arrive ontime you have a 2 hour window from the start time.
If you are going there you will also need to take a driver awereness assesment, which is done online on there web site, which is here http://www.dpworldsouthampton.com/vbs/vbs-intro/driver-engagement-video/ the video is very informative of there procedure from entering the port to going to the lift areas which are all marked and sign posted and leaving, once you have watched the video you can then do the test, which if you pass you will be able th7o print out, you will need this pass certificate to go on the terminal!

If you turn up without the pass certificate can you do it there?

DrivingMissDaisy:

weeto:

Beef:

If you turn up without the pass certificate can you do it there?

I’ve not been in since they brought it in, so can’t help you.

weeto:

DJC:

Do you actually need to have the certificate to go on, not been since I did it, was going in there regular.

Yes, I think they’ve started checking now

DJC:

weeto:

DJC:

about time these docks got their act together. they should all run the same system doing tests here and there ffs as bad as doing induction at sainsbugs Tesco asda etc they all run basically the same.

To work on containers you need to have an IQ of a gnat,drag your knuckles on the floor and point at planes when you see them pass overhead whilst dribbling. :laughing:

Just ask captain spanky he will walk you through everything you need to know! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

DJC:

weeto:

DJC:

about time these docks got their act together. they should all run the same system doing tests here and there ffs as bad as doing induction at sainsbugs Tesco asda etc they all run basically the same.

At least its free, and to be fair its only southampton who has it, and it isnt a hard test!

Thetaff2:
To work on containers you need to have an IQ of a gnat,drag your knuckles on the floor and point at planes when you see them pass overhead whilst dribbling. :laughing:

Just ask captain spanky he will walk you through everything you need to know! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hahaha

Sent a PM your way, Beef. As far as I know, you can’t sit the test at the docks and needs to be done beforehand. It’s terribly thought out though, just a piece of paper with your name on it, no unique identifier or anything like that.

Have not been asked to show certificate for ages, if you get pulled in to search bay they may ask to see it.
That said doing the online test will give you a good list of the do’s and don’ts.

Now if i can get my knuckels off the floor i have some dribble to mop up. :smiley:

Thanks for all the replies guys :wink: will let you know how I get on.

Some containers come from exotic places and may have to fumigated or gassed to kill insects and spiders.Some have had snakes in them.
Some get vented to allow varnish or paint fumes to escape before they tip the box.
It can take a few hours.Some take 6 to 8 hours to tip if it is a hand ball load and lazy goods in staff on breaks every hour.