Container work

seen a few jobs lately for class 1 container work done fridge work but would like to expand into another field. Can anyone tell me the pro’s and con’s. ie is there less drops to do and more driving or is it pretry much the same. not really bothered about the hours or staying away just means more money would idealy like to get somewhere where its like 4 nights away 5th being an option.

Big hours, low pay, lots of nights out, lots of arse chasing and lots of sitting about while being tipped. But, it’s easy-peasy and you do [zb] all apart from open and close the back doors.

That’s for Deep Sea boxes. If you’re doing Short Sea boxes like the 45s, then you’ll do all of the above except the last bit, because you’ll be expected to load and unload the box yourself.

That about sums it up.

So no different to fridge work :laughing:

I think Sir Rob has pretty much summed it up,emphasis on the chasing your arse and long hours.
pay is reasonable depending who you work for.but you’ll never make the rich list :wink:

Big hours, low pay, lots of nights out, lots of arse chasing and lots of sitting about while being tipped. not where i am it isnt although last night was an exception not the norm though normally do trunking nights hull to wigan
But, it’s easy-peasy and you do [zb] all apart from open and close the back doors. that bits true :smiley:

After all the years I have been at this job I am now well on the way to hanging up my keys and as I have been through the mill of the dirty / s***** jobs of roping & sheeting in all weathers and handball loads etc. it is now time to take things easy and let the other people do the hard bit and just read my books or the paper and generally have an easy time to my retirement that is why I chose container work plus a little help from my redundancy position. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks i’ve managed to get myself another fridge job so i’ll see how that goes before i make any decisions as to a change might even do my adr later next year

Well mate I would say that fridge work i.e. no loads to tip / load etc except at certain drops can be the next step to containers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

As I said I have done my fair share (and others as well me thinks sometimes) of the hard graft that is why I now have arthritis in all my joints :cry: :cry: :cry: and that is another reason I went for the easy life of containers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Where does the “chasing your arse” bit come into it ■■

I resisted the call to go on boxes, but in the end it was either that or go look for another job.

Now I’ve (more or less) settled into it, it’s (more or less) one of the most relaxed atmoshperes I’ve worked in.

I very rarely have to put up with the RDC ■■■■■■■■. In fact, even when I have to tip at an RDC, it somehow doesn’t stress me as much as it used to (maybe RDCs have changed ■■?)

I don’t have to rope and sheet, in fact - no more faffing around with curtains in the ■■■■■■■ down rain and howling wind.

Boxboy and (more or less) loving it.

Since when do you have to tip “Short Sea” boxes…■■

There are only two “Self Tip” places that we go to (Aldi &Lidl) and thats because they cover us under their Liability insurance. Otherwise we don’t get in the back…

Easy peasy and boring, but the money isn’t too bad for the ease of work.

Best you don’t ever pull for us then Paul, because you’ll be getting a shock. It’s been the case for oooooo…about 40 years! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It isn’t by any means every box, but if the customer needs you to get in, you get in. It’s in the contract. Geest (now Samskip) always used to be “Driver Assist” as well. It’s because both of these are competing with the unaccompanied trailer market , so have to provide more flexibilty to the customers.

Not that I would know or anything, being as how I work directly for a shipping line on Short Sea. :sunglasses:

Hey Lucy, That’s funny… I’m on contract with Samskip, both Hull and Tilbury…

They usually tell me that If I get in the back then its on me if I get hurt…

■■? :confused:

Must’ve changed then, because I know when I did it from Hull for TEPS a few years ago DA was the accepted norm. Maybe it altered with the takeover.

I’m on for Containerships (which now includes Kursiu Linija as was, KL also being DA where required), and run Tilbury quite a lot. See you in the queue at 43 berth. :wink:

That’s funny Lucy… I’ve just had an email from David Heys offering me a job with your crowd… Any good…■■?

Depends on the detail, to be honest. Out of where? On what basis? I can say that I’ve been on here for nigh on 4 years now and have no intention of leaving, which is unusual for me (I normally get bored after about 18 months), but it depends on what you want from a job etc. really.

Probably best to PM me.