Container work

I am looking to do subcontracted container work for two subcontractors. If I have completed one shift for one subcontractor and in the next shift the shift is from another subcontractor. Do I need to get two VBS? One VBS to drop an empty container and another VBS to pick up a container from another subcontractor.

I suspect so

Thought every container movement had its own VBS Best to ask the companies that you work for what is the crack

Scania2020:
I am looking to do subcontracted container work for two subcontractors. If I have completed one shift for one subcontractor and in the next shift the shift is from another subcontractor. Do I need to get two VBS? One VBS to drop an empty container and another VBS to pick up a container from another subcontractor.

It all depends where the empty or loaded box is going to. If it goes into a depot it is different to needing a vbs to get container on/off.

If you are planning on working both places with 1 truck I can’t see that being liked by the companies you are sub contracting for. I would think they would want you dedicated to them, but I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason why I’m with two subcontractors is that the first subcontractor pays very good money. However, they don’t offer regular shifts. So that’s the reason why I will use another subcontractor. If I need two VBS codes and two different RHIDES card for the drivers. It will be a complete headache.

Why is it a headache? Sounds nothing serios to me… and why two rhides cards?

Scania2020:
The reason why I’m with two subcontractors is that the first subcontractor pays very good money. However, they don’t offer regular shifts. So that’s the reason why I will use another subcontractor. If I need two VBS codes and two different RHIDES card for the drivers. It will be a complete headache.

The easiest way to do it is get your own access to the vbs system and do it yourself that way it can be done on one vbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just going to say surely as a haulier you can access the vbs system and make your own bookings, company i sub to do it that way, they take the dock jobs on then do the vbs to suit themselves, i often drop and collect from 2 different shipping lines on the same vbs
(Well i say often, in fact i only do containers once or twice a month and thats more than enough)

Scania2020:

I presume you’re working from Felixstowe?

Some hauliers are awkward gits, some are realistic. Take some advice, open your own account with POF and you’ll be able to do your own VBS’. It’ll Give you a get out of jail card.
It’s fairly straightforward and after a few goes it’ll become self explanatory. One of the main issues tends to be boxes not being booked on or imports released. It’s the first step to finding your own box work too. Dedicated subbing off other hauliers makes you no better than a skivvy in their eyes.

The RHIDES Card is unique to each driver, only one will be in commission at once.

Go to the port website and read through it. Not riveting but important to a container haulier.