Container work - the pros and cons

I am thinking of trying out container work for the first time, have a few years class 1 experience but only really done general haulage, working with curtainsiders and recently i have been doing fridge work.

I fancy a change and trying something new.

Looking to see what are the pros and cons are really, is it pretty straight forward easy work?

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You get fat very quickly. :smiley:

Lots of time resting, turn up to a job they insist get trailers in all the time & you’d struggle to turn a car in the yard

You must be comfortable driving at 56mph 3feet behind the truck in front.

You dont touch the load,that would be the main attraction for me.Sometimes the doors can be hard to close fully but I used to always carry a tyre lever.That was enough if you whack it with that

Sploom:
You dont touch the load,that would be the main attraction for me.Sometimes the doors can be hard to close fully but I used to always carry a tyre lever.That was enough if you whack it with that

Is that actually correct , I could of swore I saw containers being tipped at a Aldi / Lidl by the driver ?

Which port ?
I do Southampton and that can be chalk and cheese , 1 day busy as heck next day same VBS time dead as door nail :unamused:
Loads of brain dead monkeys driving on containers as well :laughing:

Sometimes,you see container lorries with only one handle secured.The other 3 he couldnt be bothered to close.No way would I do that.Presumabley he was empty

dozy:

Sploom:

Is that actually correct , I could of swore I saw containers being tipped at a Aldi / Lidl by the driver ?

Nope. I went to Lidl to collect cardboard for china. They loaded whilst I drank copious amounts of coffee

dozy:

Sploom:

“Deep sea” containers, from USA, Far East, etc arent tipped by drivers. Containers used by ECS etc (purple 45ft ones) coming from Europe are often tipped by the driver. Its down to an old agreement when dock work was first containerised.

We used to get an extra hours paid break for self tipping Lidl/Aldi and a bonus night out (money taxed). It is what it is- all palletised and electric pallet truck.