Container Work info

Got a start on containers next week, sounds a good number. but ive got to learn how to use the trailers and stuff on monday as i have’nt not done this type of work before any info would be good. :wink:

What part of the world you running from?

Who you starting for? Most new trailers will be one button for pins so hand brake on push button to realise or lock pins, they will have position marked where the pins got to be for different size container, docks are a bit tricky if you never been specially Felixstowe but once you done it few times is easy.

Easey job mate only complcated by the differing rules at railheads and ports.

Three main boxs you will come across are 20’ - 40’ - and 40’ highcube, you do 45’s but not so common and in five years I have never carried a 30’.

Traile should have an instruction plate on it explaining how to set it up for each size box, if not sure wsk some one.
Tip, never try and move a heavy 20’ foot with traile shrunk up!!!

Take your time at first, be safe.

bazstan009:

Been there, done that :blush:

Containers are simple enough, make sure it goes on the right way round and make sure you’ve got seals on you. On a normal skel you’ll be running at 13’ 6" with a standard box or 14’ 6" with a high cube, always good to make sure though. Lots of handball jobs which can take 4 hours or more to tip. Trailers can be slid two ways, one by pushing a button and another by connecting the red airline to a connector which releases the pins. Pay attention to the slots, a 45’ or 20’ will usually be in slot 3 but a 20’ can occasionally be in slot 2. It will always be printed on the side.

Containers can get loaded in funny ways so watch the corners as they can roll a bit, also there’s a lot of scrap metal / waste paper export so you might well be running at 44t a lot of the time. Also don’t be alarmed by a load bang when turning, as sliders get older the rollers inside get worn out so it slips sideways slightly.

Where you based at?

bazstan009:
What part of the world you running from?

working for a subby running out of trafford park going to carlise he said

DJC:

bazstan009:

Containers are simple enough, make sure it goes on the right way round and make sure you’ve got seals on you. On a normal skel you’ll be running at 13’ 6" with a standard box or 14’ 6" with a high cube, always good to make sure though. Lots of handball jobs which can take 4 hours or more to tip. Trailers can be slid two ways, one by pushing a button and another by connecting the red airline to a connector which releases the pins. Pay attention to the slots, a 45’ or 20’ will usually be in slot 3 but a 20’ can occasionally be in slot 2. It will always be printed on the side.

Containers can get loaded in funny ways so watch the corners as they can roll a bit, also there’s a lot of scrap metal / waste paper export so you might well be running at 44t a lot of the time. Also don’t be alarmed by a load bang when turning, as sliders get older the rollers inside get worn out so it slips sideways slightly.

Where you based at?

Thanks for the help, will i have to watch for over weight.

sweeper1gg:

Not usually, I’ve not been to one yet that doesn’t have a weighbridge, scrap and waste paper that is. Oh, watch for falling boxes on imports, I usually ask if it’s boxes or pallets. If it’s not pallets then open the door and keep clear of anything that falls out.

Put a bycycle on the back of the cab or on the passenger seat for long handball tips that can take five hours or more.
I gave goods in my phone number to ring when empty.
Some boxes get fumigated for foreign insects and bugs.
Paint and varnish products get vented off for a few hours.
A good rear door lock is needed.
Free parking anywhere as nobody can cut the sides like a curtain sider.
You get to go to unuasal places.No two days are the same.

DJC:

bazstan009:

Where you based at?

why can you not move a 20ft with the trailer shrunk up?

:wink:

DJC:

sweeper1gg:

Not usually, I’ve not been to one yet that doesn’t have a weighbridge, scrap and waste paper that is. Oh, watch for falling boxes on imports, I usually ask if it’s boxes or pallets. If it’s not pallets then open the door and keep clear of anything that falls out.

:wink:

bazstan009:
Easey job mate only complcated by the differing rules at railheads and ports.

Three main boxs you will come across are 20’ - 40’ - and 40’ highcube, you do 45’s but not so common and in five years I have never carried a 30’.

Traile should have an instruction plate on it explaining how to set it up for each size box, if not sure wsk some one.

Take your time at first, be safe.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Because all the weight goes onto the trailer and lifts the unit. Meaning there is no traction to the drive axle. It’s always best reverse into position as straight as possible then shrink trailer.

sweeper1gg:

DJC:

bazstan009:

Where you based at?

When you shrink them with heavy 20’ no load left on pin so traction becomes difficult.
Ok if flat dry and slow but tricky if not. When prepping to tip a 20 get inline and close to bay before shrinking.

There as some video about dp Southampton and dp London gateway will give you idea what to expect if you go there in future

Oh yea, you need certificate bo to do southampton container terminal, test online :slight_smile:

bazstan009:
Oh yea, you need certificate bo to do southampton container terminal, test online :slight_smile:

To give you an idea of how a trailer slides, check out this video. youtu.be/pirfGpMScJc

Because of weight distribution a 20 goes in the middle and slides to the back for unloading. With up to 30t on the trailer wheels you could end up getting stuck, if you forget and this happens, try using the diff lock.

Also, add an o to the end of bazstans link :wink:

When you get used to it it’s quite simple, taking it all at first however…

I found the video for DP World to be more confusing than it actually is!!

mikeshe:
I found the video for DP World to be more confusing than it actually is!!

Isn’t it just. These ‘certificates’ aren’t exactly difficult to fake, there’s nothing unique about them and you could just use somebody elses. Pointless IMO. I assume you’re based at so’ton mikeshe, who you with if it’s not too much of a personal question?