Container tips info etc

Hi I’ve not really done much container work only a few days years ago, and im thinking i may have a start doing so, I know it’s prob the easiest work out there but I was just after any long term tips etc that exp cont guys have learned over the years with boxes skellys etc

do a search there is plenty of info on here about boxes they are easy hardest thing is getting used to how each port/railhead works if unsure just ask lads nearby they wont put you wrong
i carry a short peice of scaffolding helps to open/shut doors when they are stiff

Alrite m8 . Containers are easy enough but its the company you work for that matters . I done 9 month of containers & if i knew that the company i was working for was trying to make me choose them rather than my family.
Realistically its long hours crap pay and expect you to be yes man & accept that they rule ur life.
no idea when you get finished , tell you just to park up at anytime . Then you have the ■■■■■■■■ office people that are the same .knife out & in ur back soon as u turned.
the container job that i had made me ill , having to sweep boxes out when u dont know what sort of chemical etc was in it.
High cubes 40ft 9ft6
Standard 40ft 8.6
the trailers are easy enough just need to make sure the pins release if ur stretching it. Never drive with it at 20ft with a 20 fit box alway stretch it out to 40ft.
boxes 8ft 6

Davy85:
Alrite m8 . Containers are easy enough but its the company you work for that matters . I done 9 month of containers & if i knew that the company i was working for was trying to make me choose them rather than my family.
Realistically its long hours crap pay and expect you to be yes man & accept that they rule ur life.
no idea when you get finished , tell you just to park up at anytime . Then you have the ■■■■■■■■ office people that are the same .knife out & in ur back soon as u turned.
the container job that i had made me ill , having to sweep boxes out when u dont know what sort of chemical etc was in it.
High cubes 40ft 9ft6
Standard 40ft 8.6
the trailers are easy enough just need to make sure the pins release if ur stretching it. Never drive with it at 20ft with a 20 fit box alway stretch it out to 40ft.
boxes 8ft 6

how do you work that out never drive with a 20ft in the 20ft setting if you have a heavy 20ft and its not in the right position it can damage the trailer

Thats what i was trying to get at but im on my fone & its wasnt allowing me to put that in

Get the boss to buy a quality rear door lock,Bulldog is a reputable brand,I enjoyed containers,took my bike and told them to phoneme when it was tipped,handball can be six hours or more.No worry of curtain slashers with a box on,park anywhere.You get to go off the beaten track and no two jobs are the same.Beware of unstable loads or top heavy loads inside the box that there is no warning of until it turns over on the first round about out of the docks.

A lump hammer can be very useful , so can a short steel solid tow pin for added persuasion to anything that doesn’t want to ‘move’ when you need it to :smiley:

make sure the box is on the right way :smiley:

Park in the right place Trannies don’t take prisoners

Davy85:
Thats what i was trying to get at but im on my fone & its wasnt allowing me to put that in

got ya :sunglasses:

Dont forget to undo the twist locks :sunglasses:
Make sure you get the seal number off the first box before the second box gets put on :smiley:

Slightly off topic but why don’t UK firms use the same skelly’s as the Dutch and Belgians which have the container sitting at the 4m mark surely this would improve mpg massively as you wouldn’t have a the container sitting at least a foot above the unit?

mazzer:
Slightly off topic but why don’t UK firms use the same skelly’s as the Dutch and Belgians which have the container sitting at the 4m mark surely this would improve mpg massively as you wouldn’t have a the container sitting at least a foot above the unit?

too easy that pal :sunglasses: we’re thick as ■■■■ here! Too easy :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

mazzer:

I pull containers full time mate and wonder the same thing every day.

Keep the weight lower, better mpg and looks better IMO.

At our place we have a Dutch generator Skelly for hauling Reefers, box plugs into trailer to keep engine running, thats sat lower down and is 100% better when pulling it. It just sits slightly different on the front pins, you don’t use the twist locks.

I’ll try and source a picture

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379273441.212842.jpg

Bit of a ■■■■ pic but that’s the foreign trailer with box on. Looks better and it’s all tucked behind the cab

PremiumTrucker:

Bit of a [zb] pic but that’s the foreign trailer with box on. Looks better and it’s all tucked behind the cab

What do you mean it doesn’t sit right on the front pins ?

Smoggie89:

PremiumTrucker:

Bit of a [zb] pic but that’s the foreign trailer with box on. Looks better and it’s all tucked behind the cab

What do you mean it doesn’t sit right on the front pins ?

The container doesn’t sit on top of the twist lock, instead a pin slides through from the front.

:slight_smile:

bonnie lass:
Dont forget to undo the twist locks :sunglasses:
Make sure you get the seal number off the first box before the second box gets put on :smiley:

I thought the box number be ok but aren’t they pretty quick loading them

Fatboy slimslow:
too easy that pal :sunglasses: we’re thick as [zb] here! Too easy :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

+1^^^^^^^^