Container rates

Over a six week period we’ve worked it out to be……

£1.07, and no mars bars

What a crock of ■■■■ :imp:

mine worked out at £1.54 per mile last week :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

and yes, it is on the boxes

not worked it out for the other two trucks yet :blush:

how do u make anything on rates like that. backload rates. u need £2 a mile upwards to make money.

shuttlespanker:
mine worked out at £1.54 per mile last week :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

you neeeeeeeeeeeed new batts in ya calculator ■■■■■ spanky what wi maritime :unamused: :unamused:

globby 480:

shuttlespanker:

you neeeeeeeeeeeed new batts in ya calculator ■■■■■ spanky what wi maritime :unamused: :unamused:

i agree globby he must ov been doin locals all week to get the millage rate up… :open_mouth:

hes been putting the deciy point to further foward think hanky kiny nawty spanky means 15.4 pence per mile i guess its a easy mistake to make to make figures look a little better :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: ,but i must get one of em calculators kiny spanky has and then i may be able to show a mega profit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

just for your info Gobby 480, my truck is not on Maritime any more

i do have one on there, one on another job, then there is mine on a third job :wink:

and no, it was not a typo, it was £1.54 per mile or if you would prefer in in PPM, it was 154ppm

shuttlespanker:

i do have one on there, one on another job, then there is mine on a third job :wink:

and no, it was not a typo, it was £1.54 per mile or if you would prefer in in PPM, it was 154ppm

Just to echo what shuttle has said: I averaged 151.9 ppm this week, mixture of locals and distance, all box work ex Fxt.

I find my own work, agents, merchant hauls and some subbed. It works for me. :smiley:

There are some good rates about but you do have to look.

Plenty of toe-rags down there will gladly pay you ■■■■ all and sadly, plenty of muppets will pull for 'em ! :imp:

shuttlespanker:

but you (all, not just shuttlespanker) can quote mileage rates all day long, if you only billed out 1000 miles it’s no good at all, is it?

jj72:

shuttlespanker:

but you (all, not just shuttlespanker) can quote mileage rates all day long, if you only billed out 1000 miles it’s no good at all, is it?

that is a very valid point

all i will say on this point is that i did enough miles to cover the costs of running the truck (inc. a wage for a driver) and leave some (not saying how much) left over :smiley:

Goaty:

shuttlespanker:

Just to echo what shuttle has said: I averaged 151.9 ppm this week, mixture of locals and distance, all box work ex Fxt.

I find my own work, agents, merchant hauls and some subbed. It works for me. :smiley:

There are some good rates about but you do have to look.

Plenty of toe-rags down there will gladly pay you [zb] all and sadly, plenty of muppets will pull for 'em ! :imp:

Your right goaty i agree with you theres always some owner driver that has’nt got a clue about rates willing to do the next job and get ripped off…

You need to be getting around the 150ppm rate at reasonable mileage for it to be worth the effort. At 107ppm you or your firm really needs to think about knocking it on the head or doing different work.

I just worked out my ppm for this year so far and it is £1.42 and that is for every mile that my truck has covered. Im on for one of the major players in felixstowe have been on for them 8 years now and it works for me. I have capped my weekly mileage at 1250. You wont do any better on general haulage these days the major players in the industry have swallowed up what work is left and they are running for some ridiculous rates.

Not wanting to state the obvious but ppm is only one of several aspects as to being profitable or not.
I’ve had a pound a mile and a hundred pounds a mile, made money at both rates and lost at both rates.
The burning question is locals or distance, and are there enough hours in the day? Are we well enough paid for demurrage? Personally I think not.

It isnt what you have managed to earn at the end of the week that matters, its what you have done to earn it.

Based on 1500 miles in a 5 day week (a sustainable working week - with a life) you need to be on about £1.40 pm - or you may as well pack up now and save yourself a few years of misery.

If youre not on something similar - you will go out of business eventually.

There are many company’s that pay this but I doubt if anyone will name names (I won’t). .

Having hauled boxes for over 14 years i ve found it to be quiet profitable provided you watch your costs and stand your ground. Some owner drivers have a quiet spell and take on bad jobs just to keep the wheels moving. The cost of doing those cheap jobs will wipe out the profit from the good ones. The agents and large hauliers who sub work out know that most drivers love trucks and love driving and will take full advantage of that fact. What ever job you r on its not about the system they use to pay you , it s about how much profit you make and how fast you can make it.

so what do your rates seem to be on the boxes now? coz ours are [zb] in my eyes…

1644FAN:
Some owner drivers have a quiet spell and take on bad jobs just to keep the wheels moving. The cost of doing those cheap jobs will wipe out the profit from the good ones. The agents and large hauliers who sub work out know that most drivers love trucks and love driving and will take full advantage of that fact. What ever job you r on its not about the system they use to pay you , it s about how much profit you make and how fast you can make it.

Never truer words have been said. I refuse to work for crap rates, insults my capabilities.

The amount of people running round for crap money just because they want to drive their own truck is shocking. Go drive for Tesco and pretend it’s your truck! :smiley:

Rates on containers are worse than usual due to the downturn, it’s all down to supply and demand, the lack of business meant that the shipping lines cut their rates to attract what work they could to cover the cost of operating and in turn offered the work to hauliers at the lower rates, it’s a case of you 1)taking the cut and continue to cover your overheads until rates increase, 2)finding other work for your trucks (not much about) or 3)calling it a day.

Some subbing to larger container hauliers think that they’re being ripped off by the bigger player, that’s not the case as most of the larger firms have sacrificed own trucks and drivers and retained subbies, admittedly at lower rates but that’s only because the pain is being shared, it’s either that or the big player takes the hit and subs the work at more than he gets and puts his business in jeopardy and sometimes the business of the subcontractor.

Times are crap all round unless your the person actually importing or exporting the goods.