Container Loading

Any chance someone could walk me through loading a container onto a skelly?

I’ve done containers before but they’ve always been loaded onto skellys for me. Not had any training on it, and loading up 5am Monday morning.

Cheers fellas

Where are you loading and is it a 40,45, or 20,
Sapper

40 mate and loading out of Immingham dock

someone did talk me through it a while ago but can’t remember. I’m just panicking a bit and obviously need to be 100% certain its secured properly

1Drive to dock or were ever.put brake on get ■■■ out of cab.2 walk down what ever side you like check twist locks are at 90degraes with skell, if not turn the bar that looks like handle so all are faceing the same way,4/or8 ,8 if getting 2 20’ boxes, carrie on all around lory untill your happy that they are straight with each other, return to lory and wait,a big thingy will bring big box, wounce the big thingy puts the big box on get ■■■ back out of cab , goto the things that look like handles and turn um opposite way as in number 2 above.get back in cab release brake and drive off,with practise you can do it after the first time. Good luck

Don’t know if I can help, never been to Immingham, so don’t know theur procedures, but I’m sure you will see someone in the queue in front, just ask, guys are usually keen to help, failing that, just ask when you book in, they will usually help you.

Sapper

A bit sad that your employer doesn’t train you in this. :frowning: :frowning:

Don’t blame yourself if anything goes wrong > if your boss can’t be arsed to show you it’s his loss :wink:

May be have a look on Youtube.

Otherwise containers r easy. The front of the container to the skelly gets locked with hooks instead of twist locks. Twist looks in the front are normally used to secure a 20 Ft.

The back locks are Twist locks.

Do you know what kind of skelly you drive?Koegel, Broshuis, Schmitz etc.■■?

You probably need to extend the back aswell.

But don’t be too shy to ask any fellow trucker.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

sapper:
Don’t know if I can help, never been to Immingham, so don’t know theur procedures, but I’m sure you will see someone in the queue in front, just ask, guys are usually keen to help, failing that, just ask when you book in, they will usually help you.

Sapper

+1 for asking another driver in the queue.

Not so sure about asking the booking in bod though, in my experience most have no interest whatsoever in helping and just expect you to know everything!

OP - 40 foot boxes are a doddle. It’s a bit of an essay to explain how to set up skels for different boxes, especially given the different types, but a 2 minute demonstration one to one.

There are 3 places at Immingham you could be loading. Exxtor, Dockside or Humber Sea Terminal (known as HST or Cobelfret)…don’t think it will be DFDS Dockside as they only start lifting at 0600.

If it’s exxtor pull up at gate and make sure your twist locks are set to receive the box. When you get to front of queue, go into the office with your box number and release reference. Tell them it’s your first time there and they’ll talk you through it. If you’re sent to lane A or B it will be an overhead crane…pull up to the lane number you’ve been given then drive forward a trailer length. The crane will lower the box to just above skelly height and you reverse under it…he’ll sound his horn when you’re back far enough. Stop and let him position the box and he’ll put a green light on and sound his horn again when you can move off. Drive round to the gate and do your locks up and book out with security. Any lane other than A or B and it will be a toploader (which is easier). Exxtor is ■■■■ and they’re lazy so you might be in there a while if it’s busy!!

Cobelfret is easy. Pull up to check-in give them box number and pin and they’ll send you to container compound which is through the gate turn right. Left at roundabout then over railway line then first left. Pull up at compound gate and set locks. Drive round the outer lane (keep left) and join container queue (right lanes are for ISO tanks) when you get to front the toploader will load you. Blast his horn and you’re clear to go…stop at compound exit and do your locks. Drive to site exit (where you came in) and hand in your paperwork. Job done.

Hope it runs smooth mate.

OK thanks for all the advice fellas, I’ll ask other drivers while I’m down there but being 5am they could be in a right mood or just don’t speak English

not sure which type of skelly. You’re right about my gaffer as well, they’re unbelievable.

Don’t forget to undo the twistlocks when you drop off the empty box.

The big thingy [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk