container help

is it legal to run with an empty twenty foot box, in the shortened position slot A, or does it have to be in slot C. thanks

steviebyday:
is it legal to run with an empty twenty foot box, in the shortened position slot A, or does it have to be in slot C. thanks

Top right of screen is a search button which will throw my many many threads regarding this. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The last debate regarding the exact same issue… I think it was the last one!

No its not the pins are normally shown as 20 foot/40 foot Loaded, since your load is the container then you must run in the correct configuration. It doesn’t matter whether your load is (the container) full or empty.

It’s not illegal but it’s very silly.

steviebyday:

Why?

Are you too lazy to set the trailer correctly after you have tipped?

It’s legal with a lifting front axle and an empty box. The positions on most trailers say laden 20ft position, not laden with a 20ft position. You need the lifting front axle to maintain the distance between drive axle and first grounded trailer axle. I suppose you would be ok with a lifted tag axle

As Ovlov has pointed out, it depends on what’s printed on the side… C+U (construction + use) regs…

I’ve refused to take an empty 20’ on the arse end of a trailer with nothing on the front because it was snowing, it may only be 2t, but it’s 2t in the wrong place, and the company I was working for would’ve given you the boot if you’d run with it like that, even though they asked me to do it :unamused: (most people know that firm)

Personally, for the time it takes, run by the book, why not, seriously■■?

steviebyday:

It is legal.

Yes, as far as I’m aware it’s legal, although weight distribution and therefore safety and ride quality would be very poor.

I’ve delivered containers to places to tight that the only way to get in is to shorten the skelly to 20’ for the last hundred yards or so, but if the ground is wet then there is virtually no traction.

As long as its mt, then your fine

Yes it is legal - as long as you dont overload any axle (with an empty box thats not an issue)- there is nothing under C&U regs that outlaw it

wether it is sensible to do is a different matter, Personally I would go for max stability and have the trailer extended.