Container Bods

Hello

Start back on the boxes tuesday, can someone remind me what height a standard box is and a hi-cube as i cant remember.

Thanks

Oh, and height of a FH12 Globetrotter please :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

DONT TELL HIM! HE`S SUPPOSED TO BE ON HONEYMOON! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . get of the pc gurner and attend to your new wife :wink:

LOL alright mate, ive spent the morning sorting the motor out, im riding in a Fh12 Globy, plate WX51 CCU, White with a red stripe, and Brian Rayner Transport up the side, but it will be a topliner in a couple of weeks :slight_smile:

8ft 6 & 9ft 6

paul

So about 12’6 and 13’6 then coupled up.

NO Gurner.
On a normal skeletal trailer and a standard 5th wheel heigh of 1250mm you would expect to be 13’ 6’’ and 14’ 6" with an 8’ 6" and 9’ 6" container respectively

Thanks kindly

milky bar kid:
NO Gurner.
On a normal skeletal trailer and a standard 5th wheel heigh of 1250mm you would expect to be 13’ 6’’ and 14’ 6" with an 8’ 6" and 9’ 6" container respectively

Depends which country you’re in! In the USA just in case anyone may be interested an 8’ 6" box will put you at 12’ 6" and a 9’ 6" at 13’ 6" with 48" fith wheel height.

I know it can’t be anymore than 13’ 6" cuz I just got under a 13’ 6" bridge yesterday, was’nt to sure I was gonna make it :open_mouth: , so I slowed down and ducked, phew! :wink:

cliff, 48 inches is 4 ft, 8 ft 6 box plus 4 ft fifth wheel = 12ft 6, does the box sit on the fifth wheelâ– â– ?

regards
paul

Ha, Ha, No not quite!, but the chassis’s (skelly to you) are very different and very basic to what we have in the UK, the way the box sits on the chassis (remember the grooves on the underside of the box?) well, that is where the two frame rails of the chassis sit inside, which effectively has the box sitting at the same level as the fith wheel (give or take a 1/2 inch or so) The chassis’s over here have the two pins on the front that slide horizontally into the twist lock hole on the front of the box, with actual twist locks on the rear.
When I have a box on my back I usually have no more than about 3-4 inches clearance between the top of my tyres and the bottom of the box! but don’t quote me as saying that 's an exact distance because I have never got a tape out and measured it, although I will now and I’ll come back on here with the exact measurements, I could have done it right now except for the fact I bobtailed home today.

It’s kind of hard to explain, without close up photos but as I am still working on an article for T&D which will be all about Container work over here I’ll be sure to include some close up photos with it and an explanation of how US skellys differ to ours.

Gurner:
LOL alright mate, ive spent the morning sorting the motor out,

That’s no way to talk about your wife. :smiley:

I have to admit, I didn’t think there was much in container-work that I hadn’t come across…until I started my latest job last Wednesday!

To cut a long story short, we also have some trailers just like Cliff uses…they are known as “swan-necks” ('cos of the shape) or “Tinsleys” ('cos that’s who makes them), and are actually a pleasure to pull compared to a standard skellie.

For starters, they are fixed frame, so no rattling and clanging of the subframe (although also no good for back-door only 20fts)…the weight sits lower, which makes a real difference to the stability of top heavy boxes, especially hi-cubes…and, as Cliff says, you get that bit extra clearance on bridges. :grimacing:

Only one thing to watch…the front locks fasten from the front of the trailer, with the pins going in the same way, which isn’t immediately obvious…don’t ask me how I know this…suffice to say that Ivecos look quite stylish when viewed from underneath!!! :blush: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Cliff, I knew there was more to it :smiley: :smiley:
Glad to hear youre still writing for T & D

Paul

flatbedman:
Glad to hear youre still writing for T & D

Paul

I’m glad to hear I’m still writing for T&D too! :laughing:

Actually had alot on my plate since the start of the year (never enough hours in a day or enough days in a week) Also had a bit of writers block, plenty to write about, parts of articles written, just could’nt get it all together.