Construction and Use - Re-plating

I thought I’d post this here for maximum visibility - not sure where it sits best though.

My rigid has a GTW of 30000kgs which, considering it’s a 26 tonner, is pretty rubbish. I looked at the process for replating which is simple enough. But it doesn’t say much about how to achieve higher plating weights.

Now, I’m sure it’s all hidden in the construction and use regs (which I’ve not read in about 16 years); I would guess we’re talking mainly about braking and pulling power; and axle design weights…

But I seem to recall that some manufacturers simply downplated their models on manufacture, for whatever reason, and that it may be possible to upplate, without modifications.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject (helpful ones)…?

Ta! :smiley:

el_presidente:
I thought I’d post this here for maximum visibility - not sure where it sits best though.

My rigid has a GTW of 30000kgs which, considering it’s a 26 tonner, is pretty rubbish. I looked at the process for replating which is simple enough. But it doesn’t say much about how to achieve higher plating weights.

Now, I’m sure it’s all hidden in the construction and use regs (which I’ve not read in about 16 years); I would guess we’re talking mainly about braking and pulling power; and axle design weights…

But I seem to recall that some manufacturers simply downplated their models on manufacture, for whatever reason, and that it may be possible to upplate, without modifications.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject (helpful ones)…?

Ta! :smiley:

We sold on a couple of ejector trailers a few years back which the manufactures had downlplated allowing a GVW of 40tons. The chap who bought them uprated to 44tons without any adjustments been needed to the trailer.

I’m fairly sure that you will find that if the vehicle has not had a high design GTW assigned by the manufacturer when new.it will be very difficult and expensive to obtain the higher weight later, if it is at all possible.

This is what makes tractor units converted to rigids an attractive (to some) option, as the converted vehicle inherits the design weight of the original chassis, and permits operation at 44tons (with a suitable trailer)

This method avoids the high upfront cost of factory built rigid prime movers.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I think I’m pretty well on the money with this one

surely you get what you pay for when you buy a new wagon , if you want a 26 tonner with a higher gtw then you get a drawbar spec, bigger engine/clutch/gearbox , heavier chassis etc and higher ulw

SV Tech at leyland will know all the answers .

Punchy Dan:
SV Tech at leyland will know all the answers .

Thanks for the tip Punchy. I emailed them over the weekend and had an optimistic reply: It’s possible that the GTW was only plated to the over run braked towing allowance.

So, potentially, could be simple and feasible…

Could…

:laughing:

What have you ended up buying anyway ?

Punchy Dan:
What have you ended up buying anyway ?

I’m not a badge queen, honest…but a Scania. It was the right truck at the right time at the right price. I was thinking draw bar spec early on, but thought it best to see how things develop first of all.

That would be nearly my last choice ,but best of look m8 .

Punchy Dan:
That would be nearly my last choice ,but best of look m8 .

Nearly last…!! Back of the net! :grimacing:

Ok ,Erf first choice ,Volvo ,Foden merc ,iveco last last last every time ,the rest. I can’t decide .

Punchy Dan:
Ok ,Erf first choice ,Volvo ,Foden merc ,iveco last last last every time ,the rest. I can’t decide .

Volvo would have been my first choice for the job if I could have found the right chassis at the right price!