Consoladated land services. Scunthorpe

Trawling through junk on my laptop and found this picture of one of North Lincs (CLS) Guys, its in poor condition but its still nice to see pictures from this era in colour. Looks like its outside the wire mill in Scunthorpe.

Any one know if this Direct motor is the same company that was Davisons at Shildon,then Direct,then took over by CLS and ran by George Renolds

Scammell_Direct.jpg

steptoe:
Trawling through junk on my laptop and found this picture of one of North Lincs (CLS) Guys, its in poor condition but its still nice to see pictures from this era in colour. Looks like its outside the wire mill in Scunthorpe.

That’s a grand photo steptoe,just how I remember them,charging down the A18 with wide plate on,coming at you out of the sun when heading east towards Scunthorpe. :smiley:

Hiya … just while were talking CLS i don’t seem to have noticed any Clugston photos… did CLS and Clugies merg.
John

3300John:
Hiya … just while were talking CLS i don’t seem to have noticed any Clugston photos… did CLS and Clugies merg.
John

Clugston are still going as far as I know John,still based in Scunthorpe. They made road materials and airfield runways out of slag before the war.They had tippers all over the show around Scunthorpe and about two years ago I passed a Clugston powder tanker at Sparrowpit.
I asked our lass to get a photo of it but she told me to grow up!! :laughing:
I don’t think they had owt to do with CLS though.

Chris Webb:
I remember Consolidated Land Services at Scunthorpe,they were on Grange Lane and their tanker division was Tanker Hire.They were big players out of the steelworks and IIRC had a depot at Immingham.They took over North Lincs Haulage and H and L from Workington,I didn’t know they bought Sellars and Batty as well though David.I haven’t seen a photo of them anywhere which is a surprise - one may turn up.
They didn’t hang about and were a force to be reckoned with on the old A18 when you were driving east into the winter sun with no screen washers(except a fairy liquid bottle :smiley: ),and they were coming the other way with wide plate aboard complete with bits of fluttering rags as markers.The worst place was at Keadby Bridge and the old railway bridge at Crowle where it was a bit narrow. :open_mouth:

Hi Chris
no they did’nt hang about, I once remember around the mid 60’s I was on my regular run from Doncaster to Baxter’s Soups at Fochabers (loaded both ways) I had stayed at Jayne Laings digs on George Street Montrose and was ambling up the Aberdeen Road and spotted a CLS steel lorry in a lay by. I stopped for a chat and discovered it was Jack Lindley (Cracker Jack) from Epworth where I was living at the time. I asked Jack if he would be staying in Montrose that night as he had driven up through the night, nay lad says Jack I’ll be back in Epworth tonight I got me beast to feed. Also driving for CLS at that time from Epworth were the Moment Bros Mick and Danny, Aubrey Howden, George Nightingale and Trevor Brown. Trevor went on to drive a Scammell Crusador for Harry Smith (Smiths of Scotter)

regards Big Al

Clugstons, still very much on the go.

Did n’t CLS become part of Powell Dufryn Group, now running as PD Logistics

Regards

Spud

Spud1960:
Clugstons, still very much on the go.

Did n’t CLS become part of Powell Dufryn Group, now running as PD Logistics

Regards

Spud

Yes Spud, it sure did.

Heres a couple more of North Lincs (CLS)

lilbow73:
Hi all,for such a huge concern as CLS I still cant find any photos.Cmon lads help out if you can. :

hi if you look at my posts i have quite a collection of cls pictures.

Hi all,for such a huge concern as CLS I still cant find any photos.Cmon lads help out if you can. :

No pictures I’m afraid,although I used to drive for Sellars & Battey from Peterboro,CLS took us over,all down hill from there I’m afraid!!

Rgds,

David :laughing:

I remember Consolidated Land Services at Scunthorpe,they were on Grange Lane and their tanker division was Tanker Hire.They were big players out of the steelworks and IIRC had a depot at Immingham.They took over North Lincs Haulage and H and L from Workington,I didn’t know they bought Sellars and Batty as well though David.I haven’t seen a photo of them anywhere which is a surprise - one may turn up.
They didn’t hang about and were a force to be reckoned with on the old A18 when you were driving east into the winter sun with no screen washers(except a fairy liquid bottle :smiley: ),and they were coming the other way with wide plate aboard complete with bits of fluttering rags as markers.The worst place was at Keadby Bridge and the old railway bridge at Crowle where it was a bit narrow. :open_mouth:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,I spent my youth as adrivers mate with my old man.He drove for TSL from Scunthorpe.Wide plate and 90foot beams,that was in Erfs around 1973 to 78.Used to see CLS everywhere then.I seem to recall a haulage firm next to keadby bridge,I think it was gunness hauliers?

lilbow73:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,I spent my youth as adrivers mate with my old man.He drove for TSL from Scunthorpe.Wide plate and 90foot beams,that was in Erfs around 1973 to 78.Used to see CLS everywhere then.I seem to recall a haulage firm next to keadby bridge,I think it was gunness hauliers?

Hi lilbow,I remember TSL as well,Transport Services Lindsey (or was it Lincs)? Smiths of Scotter used to do some big stuff and also Thompsons of Crowle who had the old Two Rivers Cafe as a yard.There was another company that ran that overlength stuff from Scunthorpe but the name escapes me.
Gunness Hauliers ran in a maroon livery and they were as you say near Keadby Bridge.I used to tip and load out of their tank farm in the 70s.They were in the same group as Rother Transport from Rotherham which I think was part of Eccles Aizlewood or maybe t’other way round.My mate revman will know better when he reads this.
You won’t remember Scunthorpe BRS running these Octopussies and dollies then? I do -just. :laughing:

You won’t remember Scunthorpe BRS running these Octopussies and dollies then? I do -just. :laughing:

[/quote]
hi chris,sorry to hijack this thread but how did this work? was the dolly chained to the load and the bearer on the flat swivel?? or did someone steer the dolly■■?
cheers steve.

RH00545.jpggot this off na3t-(bob hobbs)ye used yo run export out of parkgate to cls grange lane tip then load pit arches -drop tr solo into the works pic up cls tr run back to queens way tranship off cls tr onto bsc tr (chain up first ) then back rotherham for delivery into notts pits -eccles were part of slag reduction chris then multiserv now harsco running m.a.n.-alan ps note lincs reg looks like a load of piling out of scunny-contact bob hobbs for a copy

They were also part of the furniture near to my home in Yorkshire. I know several drivers who worked for them out of Howdendyke Jetty. It was a busy little port to get away from the national dock labour scheme. Sadly no photos, but some of the Goole/Selby Hauliers posters may find some.

Did,nt they also have lorries based at Sheerness too.?