Conman Sense vs Technology

Hi, I’m in two minds on a great topic that is always on here. A satnav always helps specially for a new driver like myself. I use my map for route planning but when I get to nearer I wack on Google maps. I’ve used it a few times on the way to my location as it has live updates on queues and faster routes.

So would I benefit spending £300 on a TomTom 5150 truck Sat nav so I don’t get parked in front of a low bridge with my head in my hands but then pay £45 for live updates. Or do I keep using Google maps which I believe is great they just need to add restrictions options. But in the back of my head I’m thinking when I get stuck I’ll be saying I should of spent the money on a Sat nav.
Its easy saying just keep your eyes open for street signs but I’d rather have something to fall back on.

Common Sense*

A lot of people on here and various facebook truckers pages swear by these…
hgv-trucktables.co.uk/7-truck-sat-nav.php
A hgv sat nav delivered to your door for under £75!
Why pay £300 for a Tomtom one.
As for the live updates thingy,motorway delays will be well signed by the overhead mattix and the majority of non motorway delays are ones you have to sit out as the diversions I’ve found with Tomtom are generally not hgv suitable.
I have the live thing for a year when it was free,I certainly wouldn’t pay for it.

Thanks that’s a great help.

Lsands:
Thanks that’s a great help.

No probs,I’ll be getting one once my Tomtom 820 packs in (standard car not hgv tomtom)

I use a 5150 and just renewed my live services today. For me if I get a diversion or advanced warning on an overhead gantry then it re routes me without the hassle of finding somewhere to stop and try and consider a new route round suitable for my size.

Coupled with the height width length weight data input it can think quicker than me!