Congratulations to the RM

Finally decided to get some new motors, well done, some of them were now in a state which is to be expected when thrashed for over 8yrs…

Does anyone know why such large companies don’t have a regular fleet renewal programme in place? A few years ago DHL was picked up on it when the sold up the container division…

Ps I love the Royal Mail, will be sad to see it go…:frowning::(:frowning:

May aswell get the taxpayers to replace the fleet. Don’t want the new owners having to spend money doing it.

They have a 10 year replacement schedule on the HGV side. It’s based on a vehicle life cost and some office bod has worked out that that’s the most cost effective life for a vehicle in the fleet.

They do all there maintance in house so repairs to the older vechilles are obviously cheaper than using main dealers

• I think there one of the only firms that are sensible in the vechilles they spec do a lot of these other firms realy need big horsepower big cabbed moters for basicly leightweight trunking work

Pimpdaddy:

Apparently Tesco are in the frame to buy it!

the maoster:

Tesco need brains to do that, something that’s very much in short supply for them so I’m not worried…:slight_smile:

Tesco Mail, whatever next

m1cks:
They have a 10 year replacement schedule on the HGV side. It’s based on a vehicle life cost and some office bod has worked out that that’s the most cost effective life for a vehicle in the fleet.

That’s “management speak” for “grinding every last mile out of the fleet” :wink:

Kevwall:
Tesco Mail, whatever next

I might put that forward as an idea tomorrow :smiley: :laughing:

the maoster:

…& then sub it out to stobbarts :unamused:

its a 10 year programme or 1 million Kms, both our trucks are over 900k now. one is sitting at 980k :smiley:

The 57 plate DAF`s that the local DHL depot have recently replaced where all in the 900K+ mark, with a large number over 950K

peirre:
The 57 plate DAF`s that the local DHL depot have recently replaced where all in the 900K+ mark, with a large number over 950K

Have they been replaced by Volvo FMs? Seeing more & more knocking about…!?

the maoster:

Pimpdaddy:

No, it’s Stobarts being used as a front for Tescos! :smiley:

Pimpdaddy:

peirre:

I like the USB slot they have in them… No more dangly wires or crackly transmissions from your MP3 transmitters! :slight_smile:

Winseer:
I like the USB slot they have in them… No more dangly wires or crackly transmissions from your MP3 transmitters! :slight_smile:

Its good, aux & Bluetooth too…:slight_smile:

Pimpdaddy:

Theyve replaces them with 70+ brand new Volvo FM duel fuel diesel methane (LNG) gas trucks. Though theres still half a dozen 62 plate diesel only FMs left in the yard, which are probably for the handful of trampers based there, (the other diesel only 62 plate FMs that where there where shipped out to other depots) & 1-2 hired Axors, which I suspect will be phased out after the Xmas period. I understand that the company is leaning towards a 1 make fleet. So that would explain the more & more Volvos your seeing.
Theres the usual luddite drivers who are against the D/F FMs saying its a rubbish idea, but this particular yard, 99% + of the trucks return to base the same day, re-fuel on site & go back out, without the need to re-fuel elsewhere. I rarely see any other trucks from other depots fueling at this site. So the idea of duel fuel truck would probably work for this site. I did 600+ km in a D/F 1 day last week, when I returned back to the yard, to fill the 3 tanks back up, I put a total of 34ltrs of diesel back in the tank, 45kg of gas (roughly 2ltrs = 1kg), & 4 ltrs of Adblu in. So discounting the initial investment cost, theres an obvious saving in diesel cost/use, not to mention that LNG gas will be cheaper than diesel to buy. Personally I quite like the D/F FMs, the only headache I can see with the design is that the diesel filler is vertical, which makes filling a PITA id youve got a trailer on, so IF you wanted to fill that tank up off site, you`ll need to raise the suspension to make room to get the filler in.

Wouldn’t mind taking a D/F FM out for a spin…:slight_smile:

Pimpdaddy:
Wouldn’t mind taking a D/F FM out for a spin…:slight_smile:

I find they handle just the same as a standard FM
Theres very little cosmetic difference between the D/F Volvo and the standard trim diesel Volvo with auto box. besides the calor gas shaped gas tank on the LHS, & the combo diesel / Adblu tank on the RHS see [HERE](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxW2nTZPXx8) Theres only the addition of the centre console fuel gauge which looks like a standard centre console switch but with a series of LEDs, as seen [HERE](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxIJSJbZuo) basically theres:
10x green LEDs for the (gas) fuel level 1x red LED at the top, to tell you that youve left the filler cover open (which also sounds a buzzer)
1x blue LED at the bottom to tell you its running on diesel (at start up, & goes out once its running and the engine temp has reached 63`C)
There is a bump/accident trip switch in the drivers locker, and a small isolator switch on the tank, should they be needed

Fuelling wise, you pull up, open the cover to reveal the filler neck, attach and earth strap, then the main fuel filler, but instead of twisting it to lock (as seen in the video), you push both handles/levers forward to lock it on, then you attach another smaller hose (with a bayonet fitting) for the vapour recovery.
Then the usual fuel card routine, then press the start button on the pump. This then charges the fuel pump system & cools down the flow meter within (20-30 secs), once its senses its cooled & ok to pump, itll fill the tank in around 10 secs. with a standard LED fuel display on the pump, albeit the reading is in Kgs of gas
The H&S have insisted that we use insulted gloves, and a face visor while fuelling. But since the gas is nearly as cold as liquid nitrogen, that makes sense
At least it will give any of the fuel thieves a surprise should they try to syphon any of the fuel out, as I have visions of finding a pair of lips stuck frozen to a syphon pipe with a dead scumbag attached to the lips having got a mouthful of liquid LNG

:slight_smile::):):slight_smile:
Last FM I drove was an 04reg many moons ago, now we have old FH which is likely to be replaced by E6 current FH. There’s rumour of trial D/F FMs knocking about, bet they won’t let me have a go…:frowning: