Congestion (in the skies)

The missus is pushing her trolley up the aisle tonight, from Washington DC to London.

If you’ve nothing better to do before bed, go to flightradar24.com and then type in ual918 in the search box at the top of the page to track her flight.

While you’re on there, you’ll see just how many planes are up in the sky at any one time. Always bleedin’ amazing how they don’t crash into each other. :question:

Is that your way of boasting your mrs is a trolly dolly

No need for me to boast, a lot of people on here know what she does already. Anyway, it’s just a job at the end of the day like any other.

Nah, it was just to point out the amount of traffic in the sky as well as on the ground. Plus, it’s a useful site to bookmark if you’re ever meeting friends or family off a flight and want to know if the flight is delayed or track their progress. :slight_smile:

Handy that. I’ve got a mate arriving next Sunday from Engerland and it might save me hanging about at the airport if it’s delayed. Bloody airports are a pain in the aris.

You think that’s bad … my boys sitting his exams over the next 9 weeks to be the traffic warden … Sorry sir can’t park that plane on them dubble yellow clouds… he’s hoping to land a job up the far north of the country actually on the Orkney isles in a few weeks time.

Some of our work involves waiting for planes so nice got the app. Quite scary to see just how many there are (and that’s not all the planes up there either)
Great little app to have on your phone though.

I checked a British Airways flight on another tracking website a few weeks ago, and while I was doing so I clicked on “all airborne flights” for that airline. There were nearly 250 for BA alone at that moment. I then realised how utterly crowded the skies actually are, and developed a new found appreciation and respect for air traffic controllers. They certainly earn their money.

I’ve got that Plane Finder app on my phone, it’s a great app also got the Ship Finder app too.

Just a quick screen shot of now

citycat:
Always bleedin’ amazing how they don’t crash into each other. :question:

Its called TCAS, ATC, procedures & high automation… :grimacing:

Pimpdaddy:

citycat:
Always bleedin’ amazing how they don’t crash into each other. :question:

Its called TCAS, ATC, procedures & high automation… :grimacing:

Yeah, I sort of guessed they didn’t fly around the sky with pilots shouting out

“Whoa whoa, pull up quick, there’s someone underneath us, s**t, there’s one to the right of us now, pull left pull left, and watch out for that b****r over there, whoops just missed him…” : :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

citycat:

“Whoa whoa, pull up quick, there’s someone underneath us, s**t, there’s one to the right of us now, pull left pull left, and watch out for that b****r over there, whoops just missed him…” : :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Still need to keep your wits about, remember the Ãœberlingen mid-air collision…?

Pimpdaddy:

citycat:

Still need to keep your wits about, remember the Ãœberlingen mid-air collision…?

Oh yeah, think I remember reading the air traffic controller on duty that night was later stabbed to death by an anguished husband who lost his wife and kids on one of the flights. :open_mouth:

Sounds like the storyline of a movie !

citycat:

Pimpdaddy:

citycat:

Oh yeah, think I remember reading the air traffic controller on duty that night was later stabbed to death by an anguished husband who lost his wife and kids on one of the flights. :open_mouth:

Here we go :

-MOSCOW – A Russian man who in 2004 fatally stabbed an air traffic controller he blamed for the death of his wife and two children in a midair collision was briefly detained Saturday in Munich as he traveled to a ceremony observing the 10-year anniversary of the accident in Germany.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors

The man’s detention, which Russian consular officials protested, once again raised delicate questions of grief and vengeance in the unusual case.

The man, Vitaly Kaloyev, a native of the North Caucasus region of Russia, where blood feuds are still an accepted and parallel system to settle scores, was convicted of murder in Switzerland in 2005, but released two years into an eight-year sentence and deported to Russia.

He was returning to Germany on a flight to Munich to attend the ceremony commemorating the victims of the 2002 midair collision over Lake Constance in southern Germany that killed his family. The police detained him for most of the day on Saturday.

“The German authorities apparently do not want to let me attend the mourning ceremony,” Mr. Kaloyev told the Interfax news agency in a telephone interview. “They think for some reason that my presence there is unnecessary, although all my family perished in the plane crash.”

In the nighttime accident on July 2, 2002, a Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev passenger jet filled with children headed for a vacation collided with a DHL Boeing 757 cargo airplane, killing 71 people, including 52 children.

Though the collision occurred over Germany, a private Swiss air traffic control company, Skyguide, was responsible for monitoring the airspace.

The only controller on duty at the time, Peter Nielsen, a Danish citizen, had instructed the Russian jet to descend, after noticing that the planes were on a collision course.

Partly because radar data was delayed, owing to technical repairs taking place at the time, and because a colleague was sleeping, Mr. Nielsen was slow in delivering the instruction to descend to the Russian pilots.

But the onboard collision-avoidance systems on the planes issued contradictory instructions, telling the Russian pilots of the passenger plane to ascend, while instructing the DHL jet to descend. The Russian pilots followed the air traffic controller’s advice and the two descending planes collided.

The Boeing’s tail fin severed the Russian fuselage, and both aircraft crashed, scattering debris and bodies over the surrounding countryside.

A German investigation partly blamed Skyguide for the collision.

After learning this, Mr. Kaloyev, an architect said to be overwhelmed with grief, flew to Switzerland in 2004, found Mr. Nielsen’s house and stabbed him to death in a garden. Mr. Nielsen’s wife and three children were home at the time. Mr. Nielsen was 36.

After the killing, Swiss police detained Mr. Kaloyev at a nearby hotel. A court sentenced him to the eight years in prison for murder in 2005, but the authorities released him after he had served two years of the sentence.

To the annoyance of the Swiss, he was welcomed back to his native region of North Ossetia as a hero; the region has a deep tradition of tolerating vendettas.

The regional authorities appointed him to the post of deputy minister of architecture and construction.

In Switzerland, though, the government has requested that Mr. Kaloyev repay the costs of his imprisonment, about $157,000. Mr. Kaloyev has refused.

German police officers detained Mr. Kaloyev at the airport in Munich. He told Interfax that the Germans said that his visa was on a watch list from Switzerland, and that the Swiss delegation to the ceremony had objected to his presence.

The German authorities released Mr. Kaloyev after Russian diplomats offered to accompany him to the ceremony, the governor of North Ossetia, Taimuraz Mamsurov, wrote in a blog post announcing the release. “Accompanied by Russian diplomats, he will go to the site of the tragedy,” the governor wrote.

citycat:

Never heard that bit, sounds interesting though, watched it on 1 of the ACI documentaries.

Can you get an equivalent app for traffic jams that takes info off highways agency or something?

Freight Dog:
Can you get an equivalent app for traffic jams that takes info off highways agency or something?

Im sure you can, I use the HA & RAC apps to check on what’s occurring, google maps tell you as well when you put a route in.

Always amazes me when flying from heathrow you can see 4 or 5 planes almost directly behind each other coming to land

maga:
Always amazes me when flying from heathrow you can see 4 or 5 planes almost directly behind each other coming to land

Amazing when a tripple crashes just short of the runway & life goes on or in low visibility ops, I understand BA can use the MLS & squeeze in just as many landings:mrgreen:

Cheers Pimpdaddy, downloaded HA app. I’ve used google on my phone but sometimes it is slow to respond to traffic jams I’ve noticed. Maybe my connection of course.

Ship finder?! Bet that’s not a very fast animation :slight_smile: . I’m a sucker for interest in ships and trains so I’ll take a look.