Confusion over driver hrs

I know the rules on 9 hrs or 10 twice a week and 45 mins rest and all that but here’s what confuses me- I don’t do distance work but do a lot of stop start and waiting around-

Example drive for 2 hrs and put it on bed for 1 hour. This obviously now resets my tacho to a new 4.5. I now drove for 3 hrs totalling 5 for the day.

My question is if i put on bed whilst I’m waiting around and it resets my tacho again surly i can,t have only 1 hour left on my drive time?

Seems a silly question i know but I know I would have only driven for 5hrs and should still have either 4 or 5 hrs left but how does the digi tacho show this?

you can drive for 9 hours per day, increased to 10 hours, twice per week

this is irrelevant of how many breaks you have during the day

you do not lose the drive time because you take a break earlier than 4 hours 30 minutes

you would still have 4 hours driving left on the 9 hour day

but, when you accumulate 4 hours 30 driving, you would need a 45 minute break

in your example

2 hour drive, 1 hour break, resets drive time

3 hour drive, 5 hours total, you could legally drive for another 1h 30m before requiring a 45m break

then, you could do another 3h 30 driving (on a 10 hour driving day)

if your waiting around and not working use poa

some tacho don’t reset the times until you move off again

Coolrider:
I know the rules on 9 hrs or 10 twice a week and 45 mins rest and all that but here’s what confuses me- I don’t do distance work but do a lot of stop start and waiting around-

Example drive for 2 hrs and put it on bed for 1 hour. This obviously now resets my tacho to a new 4.5. I now drove for 3 hrs totalling 5 for the day.

My question is if i put on bed whilst I’m waiting around and it resets my tacho again surly i can,t have only 1 hour left on my drive time?
?

You wont have, you’ll have 2.5 or 3.5 left depending on wether your doing a 9 or 10 hr day (driving)
Example: drive 2 hours, 1 hour rest. Drive 4.5 hours, 45 mins rest. Drive 2.5 (or3.5), start of daily rest period. Total drive time = 9 or 10 hrs.

Coolrider:
Seems a silly question i know but I know I would have only driven for 5hrs and should still have either 4 or 5 hrs left but how does the digi tacho show this?

I don’t think it does- Ive only got close to maxing out driving time a couple of times but as far as I know, it upto you to keep a tab on it.

Edited, beaten to it but its the same thing. :smiley:

Coolrider:

I take it your on digi, if so you can do a print out and it will show total driving time for the day near the bottom, or you can go into the menu and display the days activities including total driving time for the day near the end.
Just leave it a few mins before you check after stopping, or it wont add on the last driving period.

Thanks all this is what I thought but had some doubt if i was right.

mexy:

Don’t really see the point unless you company doesn’t pay for breaks. POA will also reset your driving time on the tacho machine but you still have to take break so why not just stick it on break if you not working.

mrginge:

mexy:

Don’t really see the point unless you company doesn’t pay for breaks. POA will also reset your driving time on the tacho machine but you still have to take break so why not just stick it on break if you not working.

+1 if I’m not working in resting which means candy crush and a coffee :slight_smile: I know some people will come on and say if you use poa over a break you won’t need a break later ect but I’m paid straight through so don’t use poa

If you have an iPhone get an app called Trucker Timer and run that with your tacho. It gives you a full list of all the time limits you’re working with and tells you all this sort of stuff.