Confused newbie

Hi
Sorry if some feel this may be obvious - but here goes.

I am a self employed courier driver - mostly using a small van. However on occasions I am asked if I can do removals - I would need a 7.5t lorry.

OK - I am told that a local firm can hire me the 7.5 tonner without any problem. However - I am also told that in order to use a 7.5 tonne for reward (not into doing jobs for free !!) - then I need an operators licence and a CPC manager. If I am using hire vans only once a week - how do I do this …

As I understand it the operators licence has to have the vehicles reg. on it etc. How do I do this when I am hiring vehicles … Also I have to have a transport manager for a minimum of 8 hours per week - I could only be doing one job a week in the 7.5 tonne so that doesn’t really seem to work either.

Is it realistically not possible to use hire vehicles for business …

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete

sub the work out with you packing to keep an eye on things.

pjlewis:
Hi
Sorry if some feel this may be obvious - but here goes.

I am a self employed courier driver - mostly using a small van. However on occasions I am asked if I can do removals - I would need a 7.5t lorry.

OK - I am told that a local firm can hire me the 7.5 tonner without any problem. However - I am also told that in order to use a 7.5 tonne for reward (not into doing jobs for free !!) - then I need an operators licence and a CPC manager. If I am using hire vans only once a week - how do I do this …

What you have been told is entirely correct, it doesn’t matter if you only do one job a year, you still need an operators licence.

As I understand it the operators licence has to have the vehicles reg. on it etc. How do I do this when I am hiring vehicles … Also I have to have a transport manager for a minimum of 8 hours per week - I could only be doing one job a week in the 7.5 tonne so that doesn’t really seem to work either.

Is it realistically not possible to use hire vehicles for business …
Perfectly possible with an operator’s licence, if you had one, you would know that a vehicle can be run on it for up to 28 days without having to be notified,
specifically to allow for the use of hired vehicles

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete

Everything you need to know can be found here.

I wouldn’t have thought that the occasional job would justify the costs of an O licence.
You could either sub the job out or possibly use two smaller vans ( 3,500 kgs max gross weight), or the same one twice if it pays well enough.

Regards,
Nick

It is quite possible to use hire vehicles to run a business but if you are using vehicles over 7.5tonne GVW you definitely need an operators licence. Hire companies will usually require sight of your operators licence before hiring. Casual hire is possible as long as you have a margin between vehicles specified on your operators licence and the max number of vehicles allowed on the licence, vehicles on hire do not have to be specified for 28 days. If you do not understand any of this I would suggest you do some research, try google, or contact VOSA.

The issue for the OP is that VOSA, I think, recently stated they do not like an operator’s licence not having a vehicle specified on it. I suspect because of issues with o-licences for hire.

The other issue will be to obtain one you’ll have to have suitable off-road parking (that you may never use), letter of intent from a vehicle maintenance company and proven funds to pay them (for a vehicle you won’t need to maintain) and a qualified transport manager who will be very under-utilised.

I think the current set-up actually incites the over-loading of 3.5 ton lutons by small businesses and traders. I also think that removals could really be better suited to a restricted o-licence regime.

Hi

me again - thanks for all your replies.

I had a thought … not sure if this is a way around things …

As far as I understand it is legal to transport your own belongings in a 7.5t van without an operators license. Could I get the owner of the goods (ie my client) to hire the vehicle in his name and then I could drive it for him. The hirer of the vehicle would then be the owner of the goods being transported …

Just a thought

Pete

pjlewis:
Hi

me again - thanks for all your replies.

I had a thought … not sure if this is a way around things …

As far as I understand it is legal to transport your own belongings in a 7.5t van without an operators license. Could I get the owner of the goods (ie my client) to hire the vehicle in his name and then I could drive it for him. The hirer of the vehicle would then be the owner of the goods being transported …

Just a thought

Pete

No, you need under current rules -(whether it’s OTT really or not), a standard operating licence for what you want to do.

VOSA will be unsympathetic and you may end up making it much more difficult for yourself it you wanted to get an o-licence in future.

The only way round this, is as others have said,
Standard/Restricted O’ license, which would be expensive and paperwork intensive for occasional use, but if your in a position to do so you can expand.
Hire another van, you’d need to find another driver obviously, payload on 2 vans would be about the same as one 7.5t (depending on cube/weight of your cargo).
Subcontract, either to a haulier or get an indy courier to help you (one you trust not to nick your customer).

Also bear in mind anything over 3.5t requires an O’ license (there are some exemptions), that also includes trailer combos.

Thanks … was just an idea :slight_smile: