Confused about WTD

Hi all,

I am sure the answer is on here somewhere but sick of searching when I only have a simple question.

I understand that any hours you work all count towards your driving time. So if Mr Yorkie is working in is normal employment (non driving) for 36 hours a week how many hours can he drive for that same week? and do all the other usual rules of 11 hour rest breaks between shifts apply?

Help I am confused :confused:

Mrs Y

Mrs Yorkie:
Hi all,

I am sure the answer is on here somewhere but sick of searching when I only have a simple question.

I understand that any hours you work all count towards your driving time. So if Mr Yorkie is working in is normal employment (non driving) for 36 hours a week how many hours can he drive for that same week? and do all the other usual rules of 11 hour rest breaks between shifts apply?

Help I am confused :confused:

Mrs Y

Only time spent actually driving is driving time.
If he’s doing 36 hours in a none driving job then in any week when he drives to EU regulations he should record those hours as other work either on a tachograph chart of a digital tachograph printout.

For EU regulations he can drive for a maximum of 56 hours in any week or 90 hours in any two consecutive weeks.

On days when he drives to EU regulations he should comply with the daily rest requirements, there’s no requirement to comply with daily rest periods on days when he does not do any driving.

In any week when he drives to EU regulations he should comply with the weekly rest rules.

Hope this helps :wink:

The 36 hours he does at the other job would count as 36 hours other work for the EU Driver’s Hours regulations but would count as nothing for the WTD for mobile workers. Those hours have no bearing on the 48 hour average or 60 hour maximum work allowed under the WTD for mobile workers.

The hours aren’t the issue here, weekly rest periods are the biggest concern and he must comply with the requirements for those. In simple terms if he works 5 days a week at his other job he will likely only be able to drive one day per fortnight. Daily rest periods will only apply for days he actually drives.

Thanks for the advise peeps. So just to check I am understanding this correctly…

He works 12 hour shifts Sun, Wed and Fri classed as other work so as long as he has a 11 hour rest period he could easily drive one day per week.

Sorry, there is a good reason for asking but have to be careful how much info I give as I could ‘blog my way into trouble’ :unamused:

Cheers

Mrs Y

Mrs Yorkie:
Thanks for the advise peeps. So just to check I am understanding this correctly…

He works 12 hour shifts Sun, Wed and Fri classed as other work so as long as he has a 11 hour rest period he could easily drive one day per week.

Sorry, there is a good reason for asking but have to be careful how much info I give as I could ‘blog my way into trouble’ :unamused:

Cheers

Mrs Y

Yes.
But how easy it is to fit in the weekly rest period will depend on what days he wants to work, or should that be what days you want him to work :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink:

It looks like the best days to drive would be Thursday or/and Saturday, then he would have at least 45 hours off on Monday and Tuesday, but without knowing what hours he works in the usual job and what days he would prefer to drive it’s difficult to be precise, but in any case it would be easier, not necessarily essential but easier if he could have at least 45 hours consecutive rest every week.

Hi,

He starts at 3AM in his usual job so it is difficult as he needs early starts so he still has a full rest period between shifts if working Thursday and Saturday driving.

In an ideal world the company he works for will just transfer him into their transport department and he will work full time driving! Unfortunately though there seems to be to many politics involved!!!

Oh and yeah Mr Yorkie is well under the thumb :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Think the WTD was put in place because of me! I would have him driving 12 hour days 7 days a week 363 days a year (will have him home x-mas day and my birthday!) :laughing: