Confused about digi tachos

Hi can someone help me with a few questions about digi tachos use?

Correct me if wrong my thoughts on how to use a digi tacho was ;

Turn up at lorry , digi in , drive 4.5 hours take 0.45 break or drive 2 hours 0.15 break etc etc but my question is :

How to do the 15 min pre check of lorry ? So turn up at lorry stick digi in put to other work and check lorry and roughly 15 mins later start driving?

Also the big question when taking card out at end of day or shift must the card be on rest before removal ■■

Also must I do printouts the following shift ? Or are they just not for discrepancys or visa checks etc? If I have to do them can someone point me to a clear guide / video or a guide I can print.

Before you ask I have been going through old topics and unfortunately getting more and more confused.

As you might have seen from my other topic im a newbie and have just started with a local company and will be starting work from Monday week on. Hopefully they will teach me some of these things etc but does no harm to ask here first thanks paul

paulr92:
Hi can someone help me with a few questions about digi tachos use?

Correct me if wrong my thoughts on how to use a digi tacho was ;

Turn up at lorry , digi in , drive 4.5 hours take 0.45 break or drive 2 hours 0.15 break etc etc but my question is :

How to do the 15 min pre check of lorry ? So turn up at lorry stick digi in put to other work and check lorry and roughly 15 mins later start driving?
When you insert your card it should default to other work, 10 minutes is really the max you need. 5 minutes for a check of the truck and load and another 5 for filling out any paper work. Thats what VOSA will look for.

Also the big question when taking card out at end of day or shift must the card be on rest before removal ■■
No, when your done just eject the card but you will need to do a manual entry when you put it back in

Also must I do printouts the following shift ? Or are they just not for discrepancys or visa checks etc? If I have to do them can someone point me to a clear guide / video or a guide I can print.
You don’t need to do printouts unless you are required to by your office or if you have say gone over your alloted 4.5 hours of drive because you were stuck in traffic on the M1 say. In that situation you’d do a printout as soon as you have stopped and put it on break. On the back of the printout you’d write the reason for the infringment, the date, the time and where you stopped. I normally do a printout at the end of the day for my own records when I fill in my timesheet and online diary.

Before you ask I have been going through old topics and unfortunately getting more and more confused.

As you might have seen from my other topic im a newbie and have just started with a local company and will be starting work from Monday week on. Hopefully they will teach me some of these things etc but does no harm to ask here first thanks paul

When I’m on my break tomorrow I’ll make a video on tacho I think.

Thanks radar19 that’s cleared it up mostly for me , so if I do a printout at the end of every shift do I have to do one the flowering morning or start of shift?? Also how long do you keep your printouts?? Thanks

paulr92:
Thanks radar19 that’s cleared it up mostly for me , so if I do a printout at the end of every shift do I have to do one the flowering morning or start of shift?? Also how long do you keep your printouts?? Thanks

If its from the end of the day you don’t need to keep them unless you want to. You don’t need to do a printout at the start of a shift, just at the end if you desire, it will give you an option if you want to do a printout when you eject your card. It will say the following: "End of 24 hour day? No/Yes. If you select “No” then it will just eject your card. If you select “Yes” it will do a printout as well as ejecting your card. The only ones you need to keep for least 28 days is any that relate to an infringement you may of gotten.

No, when your done just eject the card

• but you will need to do a manual entry when you put it back in*
    radar can you explain please

Thanks guys I understand now,

I have a got a diary / folder / stapler and pens and will be doin printouts every end of shift ATM , and the following morning only (when I start tramping in England ). I’ll make notes of any infringements etc in my diary and note down my reg/start finish times/mileage every day.

Thanks paul

There’s no need to do printouts at either the start or the end of your shift , it’s all stored on your card and the tacho head ( unless your company want you to do them )

You don’t need to take your card out if you’re tramping either. If nobody else is going to move the truck just do a manual entry for end country at the end of shift and another manual entry for start country at the start of the next shift

Thanks Denis f