confirmation

hi,just need a little confirmation that i,m ok in doing this, driving mon-fri this week but on sat/sun i will be hiring a 7,5 to help move a relative, will i have to put a tacho in? (getting no reward other then beer, hopefully) following week will be mon-fri again… ta

Na

dle1uk:
hi,just need a little confirmation that i,m ok in doing this, driving mon-fri this week but on sat/sun i will be hiring a 7,5 to help move a relative, will i have to put a tacho in? (getting no reward other then beer, hopefully) following week will be mon-fri again… ta

No, you don’t need to use your card. In fact using it would cause you no end of problems.

Leave your card at home when you’re helping your (seemingly very large :laughing: ) relative. It’s just a complication if you get stopped by the authorities.

hey its the dreaded mother in law, specified hi ab to help lift her in!!

dle1uk:
hey its the dreaded mother in law, specified hi ab to help lift her in!!

Good call! :laughing:

Just to clarify, the reason I say leave your card at home is that if for whatever reason an enforcement officer finds it in the vehicle you’ll be there a lot longer than needs be because he or she is never going to believe you’re doing someone a favour.

As an aside, if you get stopped don’t mention anything about what you do for a living unless you’re asked.

That’s true for all enforcement agencies. Never volunteer any information, just answer their questions. :slight_smile:

Happydaze:
As an aside, if you get stopped don’t mention anything about what you do for a living unless you’re asked.

That’s true for all enforcement agencies. Never volunteer any information, just answer their questions. :slight_smile:

That’s true, most people talk them selves into a summons or a fine, nobody has ever been found guilty of saying “no comment” :wink:

If in the unlikely event you do get stopped all you have to say is your friend knows you have the licence to drive the truck and wanted a hand moving house.

mucker85:
If in the unlikely event you do get stopped all you have to say is your friend knows you have the licence to drive the truck and wanted a hand moving house.

Why would you do that? What bearing does a friend’s knowledge of your licence have on anything?

Again, say nothing to anybody who isn’t acting in your interest (in any situation) unless you have to. Reply to specific questions, that is all.

If its illegal…dont do it…if you have every weekend off, then you are perfectly within your rights to help your friend, and use the tacho to keep everything legal. Dont listen to these numbskulls, about not using a tacho, leave it at home etc, it your licence, and your doing no wrong, but at least tell your boss on monday ( or before ) what you are going to do, as you will have to download your card, and they may ask questions. good luck

Under 7.5 ton for personal use (no business use whatsoever) you do not need to use your digicard. Hours rules are only the domestic ones, if it has an old tacho - no card is needed either. Just treat it like a transit van. There is no need to complicate this.

brados:
Under 7.5 ton for personal use (no business use whatsoever) you do not need to use your digicard. Hours rules are only the domestic ones, if it has an old tacho - no card is needed either. Just treat it like a transit van. There is no need to complicate this.[/quote

This.

I did the same a couple of years ago, a;; the hire company are interested in is seeing your licence, you don`t need a card.

truckyboy:
If its illegal…dont do it…if you have every weekend off, then you are perfectly within your rights to help your friend, and use the tacho to keep everything legal. Dont listen to these numbskulls, about not using a tacho, leave it at home etc, it your licence, and your doing no wrong, but at least tell your boss on monday ( or before ) what you are going to do, as you will have to download your card, and they may ask questions. good luck

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Is this Trucknet or Wannabenet?

i asked the hire company, their reply was if i want to i can use the card but they agree that it may cause probs with an employer, they also pointed out that the vehicle can be hired and driven by folk on a normal car license, for personal use and these folk will not have any driver card… the units are fiited in the cabs cos they want to be able to rent the vehicle to buisness users as well who legally have to have a unit fitted…

[zb] it, do you want one of my cards?

dle1uk:
i asked the hire company, their reply was if i want to i can use the card but they agree that it may cause probs with an employer, they also pointed out that the vehicle can be hired and driven by folk on a normal car license, for personal use and these folk will not have any driver card… the units are fiited in the cabs cos they want to be able to rent the vehicle to buisness users as well who legally have to have a unit fitted…

Okay. Now we have similar views from LimeyPhil, Wheel Nut, the hire company and me. Obviously we’re all numbskulls with no experience, so don’t listen to us. :laughing:

There are many ways to approach life and all of the rich experiences it has to offer. Helping a friend can be a rewarding one and it’s good of you to offer your skill and experience (but “not for hire or reward” :wink: ). I imagine LimeyPhil’s (from reading other posts of his) and mine are broadly similar, along the lines of do it and enjoy yourself.

Man was not made for rules, rules were made for man.

Midweek philosophising eh, where else would you get it? :laughing:

I was,nt going to use my card but thought i would let you all know what the hire company said as there seemed to be some disagreement in the posts… the only problem that may arise if i used the card is from the employer, if they decide to think that i have been doing other work, legally i,m doing nothing wrong in either using or not using the card, ( taking into consideration my work pattern as well)…

dle1uk:
I was,nt going to use my card but thought i would let you all know what the hire company said as there seemed to be some disagreement in the posts… the only problem that may arise if i used the card is from the employer, if they decide to think that i have been doing other work, legally i,m doing nothing wrong in either using or not using the card, ( taking into consideration my work pattern as well)…

Yes. legally you’re not doing anything wrong at all, but do you think the nice man in the checkpoint is going to believe you when he checks your card?

If you were a plumber or an accountant hiring a lorry for the weekend, you wouldn’t have a digital card.

You aren’t using it for hire or reward, so your profession is irrelevant.

So as I said, leave the card at home and save yourself the worry of any potential hassle in the future. Simple.

It won’t be ‘For hire or reward’ and therefore a private vehicle and not come under the regulations.