condundrum

So I’ve been spreading my CV and applications thick & far and now I’ve landed myself in a happy predicament.

Have interviewed for a company that’d get me HIAB licence and would tie me in to the company for a couple of years. Have been tipped the wink that this interview went really well but will find out result on Monday.

The trouble is that since the interview for above, I’ve been called for 2 more interviews from other firms which both run C+E with one of them offering “progression” from Cat C, and have been shortlisted for interview by a 3rd company.

I’m planning on heading to C+E one way or the other in the future.

Not sure if I should put my aspirations on hold for now and go for the HIAB job if I was to get it, or do I go all out for one of the jobs that have the possibility of heading to C+E that much sooner.

On the plus point … there are companies that will at least interview newly qualified / inexperienced drivers :smiley:

On the plus point … there are companies that will at least interview newly qualified / inexperienced drivers :smiley:

This is becoming more and more the case. We currently have a large employer who is short of 25 drivers a night who has specifically requested that we send newbies direct so that they don’t loose out to the agencies who are currently unable to satisfy their requirements.

We have also been approached by an agency who are offering us £100 for each driver we send and £50 for the driver. Personally I think this smacks of “selling” people but it’s an indication of how things are.

2 or 3 times a week we receive panic phone calls from agencies that simply haven’t got enough drivers.

The local papers have started listing driving jobs again - something that hasn’t happened for quite a while.

OK, it’s holiday season and there is always a bit of a shortage at this time. But not to this extent. Things are definitely on the up.

IMO it’s a great time to get into the industry.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

This is becoming more and more the case. We currently have a large employer who is short of 25 drivers a night who has specifically requested that we send newbies direct so that they don’t loose out to the agencies who are currently unable to satisfy their requirements.

We have also been approached by an agency who are offering us £100 for each driver we send and £50 for the driver. Personally I think this smacks of “selling” people but it’s an indication of how things are.

2 or 3 times a week we receive panic phone calls from agencies that simply haven’t got enough drivers.

The local papers have started listing driving jobs again - something that hasn’t happened for quite a while.

OK, it’s holiday season and there is always a bit of a shortage at this time. But not to this extent. Things are definitely on the up.

IMO it’s a great time to get into the industry.

I can only speak for where I live but there is a driver shortage here in the East Midlands. Rates have been rapidly rising all year, there are loads of permanent jobs around, agencies are on the phone begging for work as they cant get the drivers and its not the usual case of just wanting you on the books, they really cant get drivers to cover the work. I must get about 4 or 5 calls a week from different agencies that I’ve never even spoken too. Also would I have been able to up my rates by £2 an hour and still be offered more work than I either want or can physically do. Now is the time for the driver to have the power, you tell them what you want take it or leave it, this isn’t just the summer holiday season kicking in this has been happening all year,

Pete I assume you are referring to Sports Direct, saw them advertising for Class 1 drivers £32,000 a year and advert stated new drivers welcome? Could you imagine 4 years ago new drivers being able to walk into that kind of paid job right off the bat.

Personal opinion, go with the C+E. Many more C+E jobs out there than C. The earlier you get the C+E on your license, the earlier the magic 2 year clock starts, opening up even more jobs.
Plus the fact that driving artics around is MUCH more fun :wink:

I can only speak for where I live but there is a driver shortage here in the East Midlands. Rates have been rapidly rising all year, there are loads of permanent jobs around, agencies are on the phone begging for work as they cant get the drivers and its not the usual case of just wanting you on the books, they really cant get drivers to cover the work. I must get about 4 or 5 calls a week from different agencies that I’ve never even spoken too. Also would I have been able to up my rates by £2 an hour and still be offered more work than I either want or can physically do. Now is the time for the driver to have the power, you tell them what you want take it or leave it, this isn’t just the summer holiday season kicking in this has been happening all year,

Pete I assume you are referring to Sports Direct, saw them advertising for Class 1 drivers £32,000 a year and advert stated new drivers welcome? Could you imagine 4 years ago new drivers being able to walk into that kind of paid job right off the bat.

That’s right. They’re just up the road from me and we have a good working relationship. In fact, I trained their assessor a while back! The work is fine and I believe the money is excellent for the work expected. Add a modern fleet to the mix and I don’t see what the problem is!

I have never, ever, inferred to anyone that getting the first job will be easy. Or that the job will be nice and/or well paid. But times are certainly changing and when I can say that there’s £32k on offer up the road and I can ease the way in for you, now is the time.

Fill ya boots everyone!

Peter Smythe:

That’s right. They’re just up the road from me and we have a good working relationship. In fact, I trained their assessor a while back! The work is fine and I believe the money is excellent for the work expected. Add a modern fleet to the mix and I don’t see what the problem is!

I have never, ever, inferred to anyone that getting the first job will be easy. Or that the job will be nice and/or well paid. But times are certainly changing and when I can say that there’s £32k on offer up the road and I can ease the way in for you, now is the time.

Fill ya boots everyone!

Its not just Sports Direct, I’ve seen loads of full-time permanent jobs offering good pay and clearly stating they welcome new drivers. As you say now is the time for anyone thinking of getting their licences to do it, I’ve long believed it can be a well paid good career if you find the right job whether it be permanent or through the agency. Also I should add you don’t have to do excessive hours and be away from home all week to earn a good living as I think that is a massive misconception about the industry.

Peter Smythe:
We currently have a large employer who is short of 25 drivers a night who has specifically requested that we send newbies direct

If that starts happening all over the UK then its an indication of a UK driver shortage

Just trained someone from your end of the woods, ROG, and he has been monitoring the ads locally. He said there is a huge increase in the numbers of real jobs advertised.

And certainly the Home Counties and London have gone crazy.

Massive driver shortage up here in my area of Yorkshire ( Sherburn in Elmet)