Conditions of Carriage

I am still in the research phase of starting as an OD. Do most OD’s use RHA Conditions of Carriage as the insurance companys refer to when giving a quote, i see that it is expensive to take membership of RHA. Do you have to be a member to take insurance with RHA conditions attached ?

No you don’t need RHA membership, its just a standard. Around £1300 per tonne cover. As to wether it good enough, that will be up to the firm you haul for. It is usually ok for containers and general haulage but you may need greater cover for frozen/perishable or high value goods.

Carl

www.rha.net/business-services/rha-condi … -carriage/

according to this you must be a fully paid up member to use their conditions of carriage

jc69817:
RHA > Business services

according to this you must be a fully paid up member to use their conditions of carriage

Trust me, you don’t need to be a member. You just buy a policy that meets the RHA conditions of carriage. The insurance company will be a member and has used the standard to create the policy they sell to you.

You’re both going the right way with this, however you must not use RHA motif on your stationery or copy their standard c.o.c. sheet as they tend to get rather mardy. RHA 1998 is a benchmark for c.o.c. though, just be careful not to infringe copyright or pay the fees, if they’ll have you as you have to go before a committee before membership is granted.
As an aside, for certain container companies, RHA plus £5000 per tonne G.I.T. insurance is the minimum insurance requirement and this makes most insurance companies cry.

Thanks men!! :smiley:

The FTA Conditions of Carriage are VERY similar to those of the RHA, and the FTA don’t mind non members quoting their conditions fta.co.uk/services/publicati … -carriage/