Concrete Spillages

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot more concrete spilled onto roads? I don’t know if it’s crap drivers or crap mixer designs to save weight (8 wheel mixers can’t carry 8m3 anymore).

About a few weeks ago, I was delivering cement to a new Lidl in Barnsley. Everybody on site spoke very little English, and the telehandler driver managed to tip a pallet over whilst it was still inside the trailer, covering the back of my unit, plus the trailer floor, in concrete. I made them hose it all down before I left site.

Also, on the same day (a Friday, typically) I got delayed because I had a flat O/S/M tyre caused by a ratchet strap laying on the road (couldn’t lift the wheel because I was loaded at the time). Had to wait over three hours for a tyre lad to turn up! :imp:

Muckaway:
Is it me or does there seem to be a lot more concrete spilled onto roads? I don’t know if it’s crap drivers or crap mixer designs to save weight (8 wheel mixers can’t carry 8m3 anymore).

Could be bad/jerky driving, or a generous batching dude putting an extra 1/4m in for his mate at the site.
Drum should be always turning gently on the way to a drop especially if it’s 2" slump. Anything ordered over that needs wetting up at the site, not before you set off.

steviespain:

Muckaway:

Could be bad/jerky driving, or a generous batching dude putting an extra 1/4m in for his mate at the site.
Drum should be always turning gently on the way to a drop especially if it’s 2" slump. Anything ordered over that needs wetting up at the site, not before you set off.

There is also the question of when the drum was last cleaned out properly . No way to get a full load on with half a metre of set concrete in the bottom of the drum .

rigsby:

steviespain:

Muckaway:

There is also the question of when the drum was last cleaned out properly . No way to get a full load on with half a metre of set concrete in the bottom of the drum .

Def agree with that, mate. Many a time spent in the drum with a jackhammer!

I reckon the spilled concrete should be shoveled up and deposited in the nearest pothole :stuck_out_tongue:
There’s plenty to choose from :wink:

steviespain:

Muckaway:

never did mixers in the uk ,but did my share over here and our loads were sent out at 4.5" slump (unless ordered otherwise) water tanks on new mixers held just enough to wash chutes and fins ….the old ones we would arrive at certain contractors who wanted self leveling garage floors etc…water it up to a 6" and let ere go…(made sure they always signed exta water.)…yup steviespain was a pain in the drum with a hammer cleaning the back o the blades cause you were dropping slag from the blades into the concrete pump and blocking it .hehe.

Wow. Wouldn’t have happened over here, Jimbo, even 30 years ago.
4.5 inch-6 inch slump? Destroys the integrity of the concrete, surely.
Max slump we were allowed to take out was 2". anything over that was wetted up on site and, as you say, signed for.
If they wanted a self levelling slab, base, footing, whatever, they always had the option of us mixing a plasticiser in, on site. That did the job well.
If no plasticiser was used then just adding more water made the aggregate sink to the bottom, sand next, and cement just swirling around a bit, no strength, and guaranteed to crack under the slightest pressure.
6 inch slump isn’t a slump,. it’s a complete collapse :smiley:

Thinking back the only loads I did at 1-2" were highway (concrete roads) or the season I did with a “kerber” crew doing street setups on new developments…3 /4 loads a day no washing out between loads only at end of day, and a dump o rough stone/water in barrel and spin hard .As you say a 6 mix coming down the chute all separating. I Once unloaded a 6 mix over the edge of a basement down 2 levels for a floor :smiley: :smiley: . Had to work a full yr to get required hrs to be able to challenge the redi mix drivers exam,2 day in class and hands on exams ,now a certified redi mix driver…lol never needed it for 4yrs now as moved on.

Yeah, I used to like the (What we call) Semi dry. For kerbs and flags. Slow job job though, they want you to frikkin LAY it for them!