Concrete Lorrys

Hi all

Well, after going around haulage companies local to me handing out my CV i had a feW calls. Most from transport managers saying they had my CV, Were interested and Would call When a vacancy comes up. (Better than no reply)

I had handed my CV into a Cement firm, just because it was along the road i was on. I spoke to the transport manager who Was very interested, regardless of my age and no experiance with cement Work just general haulage. He called me on Saturday asking if i wanted to go and see him, have a look at the job and see What i think.

So, 10.00am today i Went and saw him. He explained the Work they do and asked if i Wanted to go out With a driver for the day, see what i thought of the job.“yea, brilliant, thanks”

Off i go, brand new Renault With auto shift, all bells and Whisltles. Light bars, horns etc. Plated to carry 30T which i was supprised about. Its not a barrel cement lorry, this mixes the cement exactly how you want it as it comes out. Was supprised how much there Was involved.

The guy showed me the ropes and i Was told i would be sent out with someone for 2weeks so im competent in the use. And there may be a chance to do some class 1 work too.

When i did my licences, this wasnt what i planned to do, but, work is hard to come by, and especially when you dont have experiance in that area. Plus, its another thing i can put on my CV,

So to all looking for work, dont give up, i know its crap but you’ll get lucky and find someone whos willing to give you a chance.

Safe driving.
Ben

Can I ask how young you are Ben?

Congrats and Good Luck.

At least someone is willing to give you a chance.

And it’s not like you have to be there till you retire.

Just stick it out a couple of years and then move on to better.

Good Luck.

Dean

Sam Millar:

Congrats and Good Luck.

Hi sam, Im 23 mate. Had a read of your recent post regarding looking for work, you signed on with any agencys yet?

bigfoot:

Sam Millar:

Congrats and Good Luck.

Hi sam, Im 23 mate. Had a read of your recent post regarding looking for work, you signed on with any agencys yet?

Even new drivers your age have trouble with the ‘age and experience’ barrier but I’m 18 and it’s even worse! haha

Yes I’m with DriverHire at the mo and plan to go and sign with a few more tomorrow mate. Again, well done.

Sam Millar:

bigfoot:

Sam Millar:

Congrats and Good Luck.

Even new drivers your age have trouble with the ‘age and experience’ barrier but I’m 18 and it’s even worse! haha

Yes I’m with DriverHire at the mo and plan to go and sign with a few more tomorrow mate. Again, well done.

Hi Sam.

Thanks. Yes it is hard, and the no experiance thing is such a viscious circle. As you already knoW, perserverence is the only key. Iv’e had a fair amount of agency jobs, some good, some bad, but its all experiance. At 18 it will be hard, but at least your on your way. I have a pal at 24 who doesnt have a car licence so you’ve got a dam sight more than most.
It might take a while to find a job, but all the time your looking, your licence is being “held” for X amount of time, and that can only work in your favour.

I wish you luck in finding your start.

Ben

Sam you have a PM.

Well done Bigfoot :smiley:
Like you say mate its a start and the beguining of that all important expearience gaining /learning process
I would think its about the same as the Tarmac job so there may be times when you are sat about waiting to unload because the build is running late :open_mouth: just make shore that you dont get any stuck in the back or its a ball ache . :frowning: I dont mind tipper work but i woud never do the tarmac job again . lol It will not be bad for a young lad of your age ha ha but im 54 and the last straw was 3 ton of the Black stuff stuck sollid in the back and me with a pick and shovel :open_mouth: 5 am till 6am on a cold morning trying to shift it :angry:
Best of luck mate chuffed for ya I hope it works out great :wink:

Well done Bigfoot :wink: :smiley:

Nice one bigfoot!

Go for it bud, it’s that all important “driving experience” and I hope it works out well for you :smiley: Good to hear more positive work experience in jobs coming out of Essex.

Is it with Jim’ll Mix It■■? You’ll be experienced in Mortar/concrete mixes in know time. Just don’t let the foreman/engineers encourage you to add more water to the mix on purpose! We need it more watery to pour it faster was always my excuse, how I got away with it back then I’ll never know :smiley:

C

Hi gosling72000

Thanks for the reply. No its with Exact Mix, based in Basildon. Nice tidy fleet too which i was supprised about. No doubt ill make a few mistakes, its only natural. But as long as it doesnt come out just water then ill be mixing something lol.

Where abouts in Essex are you based pal. Got much work on?

Ben

Hey Bigfoot,

Cool, with getting the first job Ben well done mate again.

Exact Mix, seen them about but never had the chance to use them. Keep the mistakes to the minimum bud and you’ll whizz through there’s only a certain amount of mixes (British Standards and all that) that you can use in construction anyway and I’m sure the company will list all of them and mixing it all together will be easy peasy for you! :laughing:

Live near Essex. Work as a engineer at the moment, but have had the licence for a while since '05 in fact used it for 7.5 ton weekend night work with Menzies, helped out with Class 2 work and then been out playing with a W+D with John (Flair Training) on here, just before Christmas.

Still looking for my break into the industry people say I’m mad but what do you do. May have a lead tonight coincidently that I’m going to chase hard and if it’s not to meant to be. I’ll be off the road for the next 18 months saving up household expenses for a year (so I can go agency and not worry) and to get my Class One, with HIAB, Moffet and ADR too. Heavy saving as you can guess but got to make myself as employable as possible. :unamused:

Works average we’re neither busy and not busy, we’ve got problems on site, so are making ourselves look busy instead at the moment, solving them :laughing:

C