Concret mixer job question

Hello, I’m starting my first job soon on concrete mixers as soon as I have passed my class 2 in March, and iv asked on the new and wannabe drivers forum and then got led to this part of the forum as nobody had much info for me,

I know I need to concentrate on passing my test but I’m getting myself very organised in my head so… My question is, can anyone give me an insight of what may entail in this job role? What to expect? And also what is expected from myself as an employee?

Thankyou for your time

Regards, chris

I have never done this before but from what I see from delivering to sites…

1. load up at batching plant
  2. set drum to cycle at ■■■ rpm
  3. deliver to customer address
  4. wash down on site once empty

I have seen mixers getting into some ■■■■ places being asked to tip it where you cannot get it ect… the usual crap…

am I right in thinking you get paid by the load?
also expect to get mucky…

Carl

There’s a bit here :slight_smile:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115824

Thankyou :slight_smile: much appreciated!

The #1 thing is …DO NOT ADD WATER…after you are batched ,the load is batched to a spec, once on site if your company even allows the addition of water ,add a little at a time and make sure it is marked on your load ticket.
remember you can add water but by god its, hard to take it out. another thing don’t pressurise your water tank until you are on site ,sometimes the water valves can leak :blush:
and I don’t think this will bother folk in the uk much …keep your water valves in the open position (don’t pressurise fgs) if its below freezing and always blow out the lines if you add water NOW not later as valves blow out quickly if freezing :blush: :unamused: .
keep the mixer moving don’t stop it as the drum will flatspot the rollers. don’t go round corners like a rally driver or the load will take you over .
remember the rule …the depth of a footing is the same distance you stay away from the hole
do not stick any part of your body any further than the drum ring.
jimmy

If you have a wet load on, always make sure that the drum is moving upwards in your offside mirror!!
Be aware that the centre of gravity of a mixer is way up in the air compared to a lot of other body types.
If the customer wants extra water, make sure they sign for it.
If you’re discharging a dry load, try and have the truck either level, or nose high-- comes out much easier
Always check that all water taps are closed before you start loading.

You’ll spend a lot of time reversing (concrete comes out the back) sometimes it can get tight so take it nice and slow and if you’re not sure stop, get out and look.

If you have any specific questions id be happy to answer, Mixers were my first driving job too

OH and mixer drivers ALWAYS wave to each other. :slight_smile:

+1 aye same over here ,different company or not .wave away…
other point if unloading into a pump .DO not let it run dry it can cause serious injuries to the guy holding the hose when it pressures up again.ASK before hand where the bell/stop is on the pump. jimmy.

Keep on the good side of the batchers…especially if your OD. When you go on site you’ll be expected to put the wagon where most folk wouldn’t or couldn’t put a landrover…challenge every day I love it… :grimacing: