Concorezzo Milan

As we are always looking for new topics lets have some memories
from there customs, Lauras bar, the Frenchmans restaurant, i used to look forward to Thursday nights in Concorezzo. Laura is still alive and well i get a card from her every Christmas she still has the bar but Sandro died some years ago, anyone for roast potatoes round the Frenchmans■■? :smiley: :smiley:

well here is the old place a bit empty but still there photo taken 1999 :unamused: :unamused:

Another view you can see the old shower block on this one. :unamused:

My first trip to Milan ended me up there for the weekend.
Bought my first cb just down the road.
Took my telly and flattened the one battery I had it connected to.
Bought some jump leads from the little electrician’s shop just down the road and limped home parking on slopes or cadging starts from whoever was nearby.
We ate in Mom & Pop’s just by the park outside the dogana, is that the place you mean?
I remember the squat toilets which doubled up as a shower by dropping a duckboard over the hole.
And the lovely great pile of boiled white cabbage topped with bacon and melted butter that an Irish driver advised me to order.
Happy days. :laughing:

Stuck in there for a week during a customs strike in the late 80’s…not very happy days :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

…and they didn’t have to be on strike for you to be stuck there for umpteen days either. :smiley:

Yep, I reckon most of us has spent many days be they happy or unhappy at Concorezzo Customs. Although it was a longer spell before the days of T-forms when everything was on a TIR Carnet. You could easily spend 3 or 4 days to do clearance. Funny how a week-end always seemed to come into it !!
Plenty of choices of places to eat but I always found Pop’s the best. You may even get a game of football in the lorry park on a Sunday morning,even with a headache. Funny how it all seems so good when you look back and not so good at the time?

Concorezzo on Sunday morning.What memories. I remember the Pompey boys thrashing the arse Sorry the backside off the Southampton lads.No change there then!!

Can’t remember which team I was playing for, or the result, seems to have been a few Irishmen involved though. :unamused:

Yes I can remember playing football one Sunday morn,Involving some Irish lads Dutchmen,Germans and a few Norsemen. After about 10mins,the Irish adopted the Irish version,the Dutch attacked the Germans Shouting “Where is my Grandmother’s bike?” and the Vikings ran around kicking everyone.What fun we all had! The team I was playing for lost but we won the drinking.Oh such great memories.Is Concorezzo still alive?

TIR Original:
Yep, I reckon most of us has spent many days be they happy or unhappy at Concorezzo Customs. Although it was a longer spell before the days of T-forms when everything was on a TIR Carnet. You could easily spend 3 or 4 days to do clearance. Funny how a week-end always seemed to come into it !!
Plenty of choices of places to eat but I always found Pop’s the best. You may even get a game of football in the lorry park on a Sunday morning,even with a headache. Funny how it all seems so good when you look back and not so good

TIR says he reckons Pop’s was the best. The only trouble with Pop’s was when you got there and looked inside, if there were more than 3 people in the restaurant you knew you had to go elsewhere as it would take all night to get served. Personally i think you couldnt beat the Frenchmans because when you ate there you had to take in Laura’s before and after the meal. Oh happy days
Ol’ Gravel Guts

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :imp:

On the subject of Concorezzo, sort of, there was a place i used to go if i arrived the night before, i think you headed back to the A4 to the Agrate? exit, crossed the motorway & headed for Gorgonzola, the resturant was on the right, parking on the left. It was a good feed & the vino rosso was plentiful, never had any Gorgonzola though! I last went there about 10yr ago & it was full of Austrians so I swerved it & went to either the Sisters or the refinery at Pero, there was also a pizza place near MGM customs in Pioltella nr the airport, it was run by a very friendly young lady by the name of Monica, there were always a few brits in there & to keep us happy she used to put fried eggs on top of the pizzas, amongst other things that she offered to an impressionable driver, which as a gentleman, i would never divulge!

My memory aint so good now but I also remember the place at Novaro customs, run by a bird, Nadine? there were also resturants in Via Quintiliano, Via Rogeredo, Melzo & by Central Customs that I have staggered out of far too pickled to remember, I used to reload Padova/Vicenza a lot & up that way there was Montebello & Peschira del Garda for the weekend.

There were also the places on the way up or down Frejus that I used to use, there was the Autoport at Susa & a decent place at Chiusa di san Michel, I had a 2 day park up here after an argument with the Carabinieri about my interpretation of the driving hours law, which I lost to the tune of 400000lira & yes I paid by credir card (my own!) to make sure it wasn’t a troppo caro coffee!

That lot should rattle a few memories…

run by a bird, Nadine?

dont you mean angela ■■ she ran the resturant in via bovio. before that the resturant on the left as you came into novara parking on the right. you then went to the lights and right or did the cut through first right then first left.

The place I’m thinking of was on the same side of the road as Feblands place, can’t remember much else except that it was not very big inside. Nadine is not the most popular of names & I do associate it with Novaro for some reason, could just be the long term effects of excessive consumption!

ah. you are on about the one that angela is in now. its quite big inside i live around 100 mtrs from it. when im home next i will ask angela who owned it before her. sorry for trying to confuse you :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers r slicker, it was in the late 80s early 90s that i used to be in the area, after that it was all down south & once the customs went (which in my opinion ruined the job) i never had much call to go anywhere near Novaro, who’d have thought we’d ever miss customs!

newmercman:
…headed for Gorgonzola, the resturant was on the right, parking on the left. It was a good feed & the vino rosso was plentiful, never had any Gorgonzola though! …

Neither did I, I stopped at a little grocers there just to buy the stuff, and he just shrugged his shoulders. :unamused: :cry:
Now would you expect a knock back if you asked for Stilton in Stilton? Maybe you would come to think of it. :open_mouth:

You can buy a Somerset Brie in Stilton.Not bad.

Spardo:
Now would you expect a knock back if you asked for Stilton in Stilton? Maybe you would come to think of it. :open_mouth:

pedantic boring story going off thread - you might get a knock back these days as proper stilton is only made in a small triangle on the leicestershire/derbyshire/nottinghamshire borders - it got it’s name from being sold at the bell inn at stilton (norman cross) to travellers on the great north road, it was never made there at all :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ve expressed my feelings on concorezzo on here before - ■■■■■■■■■ par excellence :frowning:

the bell inn at Stilton…mmmmmm…jj didn’t we get drunk there one xmas?? :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

well off thread :unamused:

jj72:

Spardo:

pedantic boring story going off thread - you might get a knock back these days as proper stilton is only made in a small triangle on the leicestershire/derbyshire/nottinghamshire borders - it got it’s name from being sold at the bell inn at stilton (norman cross) to travellers on the great north road, it was never made there at all :stuck_out_tongue:

:frowning:

Yes, I know, which is precisely why I wrote

Maybe you would come to think of it.

however, although I’ve never tried, you may be able to buy it there. :unamused: :laughing:

Who gives a monkeys about where it comes from or where you buy it. Just get some and eat it. Together with a good Port.