Concerns after my first interview after passing class 2

This is the first interview I’ve had since passing my class 2. I’ve been self employed my whole life and it might sound funny but I don’t really know the process of what happens when you get a job.

I went to what I expected to be an interview. The guy walked me round the yard we had a generally informal interview. Whole thing took about half an hour and it seemed very much like I’d already got the job. We were stood outside for most of it and it didn’t seem like the sort of thing where we’d discuss the formalities. I kinda expected another interview to discuss pay and holidays and all that jazz. I’m going in Monday for some sort of written assessment and to meet the transport manager and from what I gather I’ll then be going out (possibly the same day?) with another driver who at some point in the coming days/weeks, will sign me off as competent and I’ll be able to go on my own.

Thing is though, I haven’t signed any sort of contract yet and I don’t think they’ve even got my NI number for PAYE. Is this in any way normal? I guess they could go through all the formalities Monday morning before I even go near a truck, just seems a bit weird to do it on the first day that I’m actually working there.

Was a it a small family business? If so they tend to be a bit stuck in the dark ages do things slow or last minute. They might not have a accounts department onsite. Ive filled in bank details on the first week before and been given a written contract to sign as well. I wouodnt worry juat ask the TM on monday.

Yeah I think they run about 50 trucks in total.

Thanks for the reassurance, I’ll see how Monday goes.

Cheers

It could be that most of the potential new drivers disappear before their first shift after being offered the job. The employer might just be seeing if you are going to stick around or just disappear like most of the other drivers. Most drivers do a lot of window shopping, and only stick around if they feel they are landing a nice little number.

I would probably err on the side of saying that you need the experience so just roll with it rather than start insisting on certain things. I would certainly hope that you wouldn’t be messed about.

With driving often things are quite informal and it is how you go in the first few weeks that really counts, rather than the interview process. A licence and a pulse will often get you an assessment drive.