Compressor coolboxes

I was looking at coolboxes, for the van for weekends away, but possibly not much off the mark for what some trampers would want.

I almost had a Dometic TCX35 coming until I realised that it was a peliter type not compressor.

There seems to be some low priced stuff about now but always weary of the buy cheap, buy twice saying.

Halfords have a compressor box at £250 (225 with 10% off)

halfords.com/camping/coolbo … 26078.html

This has fridge and freezer zones, under £300 with discount code

winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/out … ooler-35l/

Or Vevor stuff all quite cheap, smaller boxes under £200!

m.vevor.co.uk/car-refrigerator- … 0992014926

Anyone had any of the stuff above to use?

I used had a hi gear one for years used it in my trailer tent.
Plugged into cigarette socket or a plug socket.
Was from go outdoors.

Never had an issue kept things cold in my car on the way and.then plugged into plug socket

Away from the truck (built in fridge) I have an old 24v fridge, well past production, but more relevantly a Dometic and a newer compressor fridge.
The Dometic (12v/240n/gas) does work after a fashion, but not as well as the compressor one. However if stationary for a long time with no mains, the gas option can be useful.

Anyways to your query: I have a 12v/24v fridge. It comes with a mains adaptor so is marketed as 12n/24v/240v.
Looks very like this one on Vevor (out of stock)
vevor.co.uk/car-refrigerato … 0396450836
Ill have a wee bet that the exact same fridge will have a dozen different brand stickers on it, and very different prices, but will come from just one factory. Ive had it for 5 years, used for week-ends and longer holidays. Been rocked around a bit off-roading. In use for two weeks continuous duty, but not for months on end. Been unused for months in winter with no issues when needed again. Not noisy.
Variable low battery protection settings.
I`d buy the same again.

Similar,or maybe the same, here too: ebay.co.uk/itm/352890452275?

I’ve always had a Waeco. Never let me down. They do a range of different types and sizes. Not cheap, but worth it.

grumpybum:
I’ve always had a Waeco. Never let me down. They do a range of different types and sizes. Not cheap, but worth it.

Yep I’ve got 2 an 18ltr and a 40 ltr
Also got a Dellonda 50ltr dual zone only cost me £280
amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CPWXQS3? … 6YHMP62WQK
Use it all week
Keep eye on eBay as used Waeco ones do come up and even when they’re a few years old they still work as good just ask Robroy

I had an Indel B for years. They came standard fitment in the Renault Magnum back in the day. I moved it from truck to truck over the years, dunno if they still make them but worth a Google. Very reliable and quiet and easy on batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:
I had an Indel B for years. They came standard fitment in the Renault Magnum back in the day. I moved it from truck to truck over the years, dunno if they still make them but worth a Google. Very reliable and quiet and easy on batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep they still do and are good as well

I have a couple of the cheaper boxes 1x Aldi and an slightly larger camping/caravaning one.
I’m off to Portugal and Spain in the car for 30 days in July/August driving around exploring, and staying in various hotels along the way, and I’m aware that they either of these are probably not going to be good enough to keep the basics fresh and chilled (especially the beer) on a road trip as they tend to only cool to a certain level below ambient temperature and and with the money I’m getting from Volkswagon I’ve been considering a compressor fridge that I can run 12v/240v. So I’ll be following this thread with interest

peirre:
I have a couple of the cheaper boxes 1x Aldi and an slightly larger camping/caravaning one.
I’m off to Portugal and Spain in the car for 30 days in July/August driving around exploring, and staying in various hotels along the way, and I’m aware that they either of these are probably not going to be good enough to keep the basics fresh and chilled (especially the beer) on a road trip as they tend to only cool to a certain level below ambient temperature and and with the money I’m getting from Volkswagon I’ve been considering a compressor fridge that I can run 12v/240v. So I’ll be following this thread with interest

Any can be run off 240v if you buy a 240v to 12v dropper
The Waeco Cf 30 upwards have a built in transformer so do 12/24 v DC and 240V AC

Thanks for all the input. The inside of the van is somewhat still work in progress, so I will decide exactly where its going first to avoid buying something that is perfect in all but one or two dimensions.

A quick google on Indel B does bring up results, probably the top end of my budget but I will keep in mind.

blue estate:

grumpybum:

Use it all week
Keep eye on eBay as used Waeco ones do come up and even when they’re a few years old they still work as good just ask Robroy

Thanks for the suggestion, The Dellonda looks nice and the 2 zone one I linked in the first post (outdoor revolution) intrigued me but I did think they missed a trick by having the freezer section only go up to -5 or something where yours can be 2 sides fridge or freezer or combination between the two makes much more sense.

njl:

blue estate:

grumpybum:

Use it all week

Thanks for the suggestion, The Dellonda looks nice and the 2 zone one I linked in the first post (outdoor revolution) intrigued me but I did think they missed a trick by having the freezer section only go up to -5 or something where yours can be 2 sides fridge or freezer or combination between the two makes much more sense.

Yep I think they did !
My one is set at 5deg C on both sides at the moment , if I run with -18 I have the L shaped one as the frozen as it’s smaller ,
Handy tip get some ice blocks to put in frozen side so it’s not trying to freeze fresh air when not much in it

njl:
Thanks for all the input. The inside of the van is somewhat still work in progress, so I will decide exactly where its going first to avoid buying something that is perfect in all but one or two dimensions.
A quick google on Indel B does bring up results, probably the top end of my budget but I will keepin mind.

I would buy something that you can take out and use in the car or truck if need be
You can’t rip a built in out if you need to use it in another car etc for a day trip :wink:

I’ve one of these, had it for five years now, though they have been around for many years under the camping gaz brand,
Will make ice cubes if running on gas or 240v.

amazon.co.uk/Dometic-CoolFu … B004M8BRW6

Look at WAECO, you get what you pay for.

peirre:
with the money I’m getting from Volkswagon

It’s good…

To see that this is moving forward.
Mate of mine is waiting for Mercedes to cough but has no timeline at all.

yourhavingalarf:

peirre:
with the money I’m getting from Volkswagon

It’s good…

To see that this is moving forward.
Mate of mine is waiting for Mercedes to cough but has no timeline at all.

About 3 years from start to finish

I haven’t forgotten this thread but not made any substantial progress with the van conversion, I am still a bit in limbo about what size unit will work, some times I would only need space for 2 days supplies but there would be times it would be nice at least to get 6 days of basics packed in.

I think the 40+ litre boxes would prove to be too big, otherwise I might be tempted by this :

ebay.co.uk/itm/274453912614

If pushed to buy one today I think the 2 zone Dellonda has so much going for it, I would go for that.

Pierre I guess you are on the road in Europe already, did you add something to your inventory?

njl:
I haven’t forgotten this thread but not made any substantial progress with the van conversion, I am still a bit in limbo about what size unit will work, some times I would only need space for 2 days supplies but there would be times it would be nice at least to get 6 days of basics packed in.

I think the 40+ litre boxes would prove to be too big, otherwise I might be tempted by this :

If pushed to buy one today I think the 2 zone Dellonda has so much going for it, I would go for that.

Pierre I guess you are on the road in Europe already, did you add something to your inventory?

If youre starting with a blank canvas, since everything depends on everything else, it is difficult to nail down a start point. I doubt many would think that 40litres is too big, especially if you reckon on 6 days of autonomy. Im planning on one 50l compressor fridge in the back, and a small cool box for drinks accessible from the driving seat.

I don`t see the need for frozen. Nice to have, but most stuff (even if bought as frozen) will be ok in a cool fridge for several days. It needs more planning than living at home where you can throw stuff in a freezer, and take it out or leave it in on a whim, but that is only my view.

njl:

It says “Our portable fridge freezer is good to -20 degrees Celcius (sic) below ambient temperature” with temperatures we’ve been having of 30-40 degrees C, plus whatever that equates to inside a van, how could 20 degrees below ambient be any use as a fridge, nevermind a freezer?

stu675:

njl:

It says “Our portable fridge freezer is good to -20 degrees Celcius (sic) below ambient temperature” with temperatures we’ve been having of 30-40 degrees C, plus whatever that equates to inside a van, how could 20 degrees below ambient be any use as a fridge, nevermind a freezer?

Interesting spot, that description seems to be common across the ebay ad, their website and amazon listing. I messaged them on ebay and queried it, they came back and just confirmed its correct. Though on Amazon the q and a someone asked the question and a buyer responded and discounted the limitation.