Complete novice needs direction

Hi all…I have decided that i would like to try for my C1 class license but as i am completely new to this type of work i was wondering if anybody can recomend any training companies in and around the Barnsley/Doncaster area that can help me complete the full works (written tests, medical, practical tests etc…). I have read many posts and understand that it will probably cost around 1 thousand give or take a little but as i am not mechanically minded and never done this before, will i be wasteing my dollars?

What are you doing now and what do you know about the job

When did you pass your car test? Going by “Dave1973” if you passed before 1997 you’ll have C1 anyway…

mac12:
What are you doing now and what do you know about the job

I’m currently working in a dead end warehouse job…as i said i will be going into this training/work as a complete novice. I have a little experience driving a 7.5 ton wagon but that was a few years ago.

DaveB68:
When did you pass your car test? Going by “Dave1973” if you passed before 1997 you’ll have C1 anyway…

It was in 1997…looking on my license theres a line through the “C1” option, i’m guessing this means i’m not able to drive this size vehicle without further training (not that i would be comfortable just jumping in a cab and driving off without proper training).

So you don’t have your class C if not your costs will be nearer £3000 but others will tell you better about that.

mac12:
So you don’t have your class C if not your costs will be nearer £3000 but others will tell you better about that.

Yikes MAC!!!

why go for LGV C1 when LGV C is an option because you can skip C1 and go for C with a current B licence

Got manual B licence then go for C auto then C+E auto and they come back from DVLA as manuals

Recommend to have £3k handy if going from B through to C+E

Click the link in my signature for more info as well as the other stickies near the top of this forum so you do not get ripped off

ROG:
why go for LGV C1 when LGV C is an option because you can skip C1 and go for C with a current B licence

Got manual B licence then go for C auto then C+E auto and they come back from DVLA as manuals

Recommend to have £3k handy if going from B through to C+E

Click the link in my signature for more info as well as the other stickies near the top of this forum so you do not get ripped off

I Think C+E is something for the future ROG, but this going for LGV C is definately an option i’m willing to go down. I’ve never joined a forum before so these “stickies” and other words are a bit new to me…but i’m getting there, thanks for your help pal.
Are you saying apply for a LGV C AUTO with the DVLA and they come back as you can drive manuals?

Dave1973:
Are you saying apply for a LGV C AUTO with the DVLA and they come back as you can drive manuals?

Providing you passed your Car (B) in a manual then yes

Reef:

Dave1973:

Providing you passed your Car (B) in a manual then yes

Strange…but great info. Thx guys.

stickies = pinned threads near the top of the forum such as …

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY are soon parted - Drivers Medicals.
BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS…
Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS…
HGV LGV TRAINING
How a TNUK member passed the CPC Mod 4 test.
LGV TRAINING TIPS (Read only)

My class 2 (Cat C) including medical and theory etc only cost me about £1150

NOVE:

Good price

I always recommend having enough for a couple of retests just in case which is why I said £3k handy to go from B to C+E

the extra cost of the mod 4 can bump up the cost by 2 or 3 hundred quid unless you can get that done during the practical on-road training

NOVE:

Where was this at Nove■■? i’m based in S.Yorkshire and after any good recommendations.

Dave1973:

NOVE:

Where was this at Nove■■? i’m based in S.Yorkshire and after any good recommendations.

How far from Mansfield?

ROG:

Dave1973:

NOVE:

How far from Mansfield?

about 35 miles…worth the travel if the training was good

Dave1973:

ROG:

Dave1973:

NOVE:

How far from Mansfield?

How about EXCELLENT instead of good … truckdrivertraining.co.uk/ = the forum sponsor

ROG:

Dave1973:

ROG:

Dave1973:

NOVE:

How far from Mansfield?

How about EXCELLENT instead of good … truckdrivertraining.co.uk/ = the forum sponsor

I see the starter pack is 1,350.00 how come you only paid 1,150,00 Nove?

Sent you a pm.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: