Complete newbie

Hi guys, new to the forum and just to introduce myself and get some views from everyone.
Im doing a career change from a letting agent to car recovery. What I want to know or rather need to know is do I have to register as an operator to do recovery work on a 7.5 tonner? Ive already bought a Renault midlum twin loader LEZ compliant and after talking to some of the smaller recovery guys im confused. Any info would be helpful or are the smaller drivers just trying to put me off?

Hi, you need to go on the vosa website and look at the exemptions to operators licencing. If my memory serves me right, to be exempt from an O licence you can only carry vehicles that are immobilised ie broken down, accident damaged. You cant pick a car up just because it has no mot or deliver a new car from one garage to another. A lot do but will fall foul on day and pay the price. I use a 4.6t Iveco + 3.5t trailer and run with an O licence. Get reading my friend.

mraf786:
Hi guys, new to the forum and just to introduce myself and get some views from everyone.
Im doing a career change from a letting agent to car recovery. What I want to know or rather need to know is do I have to register as an operator to do recovery work on a 7.5 tonner? Ive already bought a Renault midlum twin loader LEZ compliant and after talking to some of the smaller recovery guys im confused. Any info would be helpful or are the smaller drivers just trying to put me off?

Whether or not you need an operators licence depends on the vehicle and what you intend to use it for, to be exempt form needing an operators licence you will only be able to recover disabled vehicles, so if it’s also your intention to transport operational vehicles from A to B for people you will need an operators licence.

If the vehicle does not fall intot he category bellow it will not be classed as a recovery vehicle and you will need an operators licence, my advice would be to discuss the vehicle and exactly what you intend to use it for with VOSA.

(3)A vehicle is not a recovery vehicle if at any time it is used for a purpose other than–

(a)the recovery of a disabled vehicle,

(b)the removal of a disabled vehicle from the place where it became disabled to premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped,

(c)the removal of a disabled vehicle from premises to which it was taken for repair to other premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped,

(d)carrying fuel and other liquids required for its propulsion and tools and other articles required for the operation of, or in connection with, apparatus designed to lift, tow or transport a disabled vehicle, and

(e)any purpose prescribed for the purposes of this sub-paragraph by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

Here’s some reading for you :smiley:

Page 5 explains operator licence exemptions - Goods Vehicle Operator Licensing Guide for Operators

Part V of Schedule 1 to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994

It seems to be a really grey area. Spent 35 minutes on hold while the guy on the other end apparently went away and checked up what I needed to know. Guess what? NOTHING new was said to me. I can post the paperwork out to you or you can download it online. Wow it opened my eyes.
All I want to do is pick up broken down cars from A-B. I thought id not jump on the band wagon of the transits I`ve seen blatantly overloaded with a range rover or Q7. Makes me wanna cry.
So ill ask everyone here what I asked vosa, IF IM JUST PICKING UP BROKEN DOWN OR DAMAGED VECHILES I DONT NEED AN OPERATORS LISENCE DO I?
Thanks guys :open_mouth:

mraf786:
It seems to be a really grey area. Spent 35 minutes on hold while the guy on the other end apparently went away and checked up what I needed to know. Guess what? NOTHING new was said to me. I can post the paperwork out to you or you can download it online. Wow it opened my eyes.
All I want to do is pick up broken down cars from A-B. I thought id not jump on the band wagon of the transits I`ve seen blatantly overloaded with a range rover or Q7. Makes me wanna cry.
So ill ask everyone here what I asked vosa, IF IM JUST PICKING UP BROKEN DOWN OR DAMAGED VECHILES I DONT NEED AN OPERATORS LISENCE DO I?
Thanks guys :open_mouth:

I would say no you don’t. As jezza1961 said the vehicle has to be broken down or immobilized in some way, if the vehicle is to be moved from point A to point B under and there is no fault I.e delivery to the dealer for servicing or to be returned to the owner on the back of a recovery truck/transporter will be transporting goods.

I work for the rac we charge for recovery of untaxed vehicles because we have to send a contractor with an O license.

Try and find yourself a local AA flatbed or recovery driver and ask for there input

‘Recovery’ vehicles are exempt from operator licensing under Section 2(2)(d) of the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Act 1995, as specified in Schedule 3, part 1, para. 27 of the 1995 Regulations. The definition of a recovery vehicle is given in Schedule 1, Part V of the Vehicle Excise and Regulation Act 1994:

Generally a vehicle which is permanently adapted primarily for the purposes of lifting, towing and transporting would be exempt from Operator Licensing if it was being used for:-

i) the recovery of a disabled vehicle;
ii) the removal of a disabled vehicle from the place where it became disabled to premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped; or
iii) the removal of a disabled vehicle from premises to which it was taken for repair to other premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped.

I must emphasise that a vehicle will only be exempt if it is solely being used for the purposes described above. If it is being used for a purpose other than that described above, then it would not be exempt and an operator licence is likely to be required.

There’s also something I’ve read about you can use a recovery truck within a certain mile radius… stops ppl using a recovery truck for transporting a vehicle between garage to garage as this would fall under the transportation of goods…not covered by an exempt operators licence