Complete cost of starting from scratch?

Hi People

Not sure which forum, so i’m posting in the busiest

My Friend :wink: asked me the other day what the total cost of becoming a class 1 driver would be?

Pretty broad question I know.

He passed his car test after 97 - so no 7.5 entitlement (no grandfathers rights to DCPC)

So a ball park figure please - he is 33

I am guessing: £850ish for C (1 weeks intensive course + test on friday)
£850ish for C+E (1 weeks intensive course + test on friday)

35 hours of dcpctraining - no idea :open_mouth: - say…£850ish
Theory test say…£80

chuck in a fail on one of the tests and couple of days re-prep and 2nd test I would say you won’t get much change from

£3000

Many thanks in advance

chris:
Hi People

My Friend :wink: asked me the other day what the total cost of becoming a class 1 driver would be?

He passed his car test after 97 - so no 7.5 entitlement (no grandfathers rights to DCPC)

35 hours of dcpctraining - no idea :open_mouth: - say…£850ish
Theory test say…£80

chuck in a fail on one of the tests and couple of days re-prep and 2nd test I would say you won’t get much change from

£3000

Many thanks in advance

I’d say you are pretty close TBH. It certainly isn’t cheap…Perhaps one of the trainers could expand a bit on this subject?

when i was loooking at it a bout a year back a south wales firm was offering around £1500 for just the class 2 but think that was everything included

chris:
Hi People

35 hours of dcpctraining - no idea :open_mouth: - say…£850ish it will be the initial DCPC not periodic
Theory test say…£80

£3000

Many thanks in advance

terriers:
when i was loooking at it a bout a year back a south wales firm was offering around £1500 for just the class 2 but think that was everything included

My mates dad is an instructor for Lancaster Training Services and that’s what he said, on the assumption you pass every part first time, fail a couple of them and add another 5-600 on :open_mouth:

From speaking to a trainer, if you agree to do your class 1 straight after your class 2 and book at the same time you could get a deal. I passed my C in 2004 and my C+E last month, just took a 3 day course as really its just an upgrade, no need for another medical/theory test ect.

C (Class 2)

Medical = £100
Theory Test = £35
Hazard Perception = £15
Driver Training = £800
Driving Test = £130
Module 2+4 Test = £85

C+E

Driver Training = £900
Driving Test = £140

All in at, £2205 with no retest, whole process could take 2-3 weeks

£1700 to get cat C (in my own experience). That included getting the initial CPC, and a few retests!
Haven’t looked into getting my C+E yet as im more than happy with what I have, which is a really easy night run in a 7.5 tonner, basically a run from Gatwick airport, round to Newsprinters in Broxbourne, then back to Langley then Gatwick, no stress, lots of chance to get sleep in (got 5 hours sleep in during the shift the other night!) and get free papers and food and drink from the airport caterers with a little bribe of free papers… I have been doing lots of cat C work doing multidrop amongst other things which I did enjoy although it was through an agency, which meant I got kicked before the 12 weeks :unamused:
Will eventually get round to doing my C+E, everytime I see one theres a little voice in my head saying, ‘go on, you know you want it’. Although now got my sights set on tug work in the airport, looks like more of a challenge pulling a plane :laughing:

£1214 to do both licences in my case, earlier this year. It was made easier because I have a pre-97 car licence, so didn’t have to do the mods 2 & 4.

Gary

Talking to someone last week who did both tests and adr about 6 months ago and paid £3800 but nobody will give them a job.

My C was £1300 and was told they could do the C+E for £900 but I never did it so £2200 ish. That was with a firm in Ipswich though that are no longer about now

Just done and paid for mine c and c e cpc mod 2 & 4 14 hours additonal cpc trainkng and a retest total cost £3200
hope this helps

I think I paid around £800 all in, inc:
1 x C test
2 x C+E tests

how things have changed …

Charliebear, you don’t need any lgv licence for tug work. I worked at both Luton and Birmingham airports as a fueller and i can assure you, the way those idiots drive tugs you’d be suprised if they had a car licence. They get round it by saying it’s private proerty and therefore the rules of licences don’t apply…I never met a tug driver who had anything other then a car licence. Same way, adr licences are not needed to drive 39000 litres of jet fuel round, well thats what the firm claim…

degsy4wheels:
Charliebear, you don’t need any lgv licence for tug work. I worked at both Luton and Birmingham airports as a fueller and i can assure you, the way those idiots drive tugs you’d be suprised if they had a car licence. They get round it by saying it’s private proerty and therefore the rules of licences don’t apply…I never met a tug driver who had anything other then a car licence. Same way, adr licences are not needed to drive 39000 litres of jet fuel round, well thats what the firm claim…

Thats true. The company I work for doing the newspaper round are also involved in cargo, fuelling, cleaning, tugs - basically everything on the ground. Just waiting for my airside i.d to arrive then I get cracking on training, got to do airport driving test, something to do with ramps and bowser training, and later in the year theres some training on de icing and snow ploughs apparently.

hgvhgv:
Just done and paid for mine c and c e cpc mod 2 & 4 14 hours additonal cpc trainkng and a retest total cost £3200
hope this helps

Thanks thats does help

Thanks for all the replies :smiley: