Competetive Pay Rates?

Saw a class 2 job advertised that ticked most of my boxes, so I rung 'em out of curiosity.

Had to work hard, very hard to pump any info out of the chap, but eventually managed to convince him to reveal the pay rates which were advertised as “competetive”.

From the advert, I formed the impression that it involved 5 days out of 7, 40hrs then OT with extended rates for unsociable hours. He seemed really keen to get me to visit for interview before revealing the rates. Using my usual excuse of “before we waste both my time & yours” he admitted that :

Basic is £7.12 for 40hrs

Then OT @ Time & quarter = £8.89

Unsociable hours = 10pm to 4am

5 days from 7 means a rolling shift pattern including either a Saturday or Sunday, but mostly both.

A 2 shift system, 1st week 4am start, 2nd week 10pm finish.

He eventually hung up when I asked “on what Planet is this £competetive”?

They’ll be able to pick some quality staff at that pay rate… :unamused:

Well done for prising the info out, like you i wouldn’t have been wasting me time without some idea, and like you certainly wouldn’t waste another second thinking about it.

While its not wonderful its more than some jobs that I have seen advertised.If you need the job apply it wont be a vacancy for long.

For the work pattern i’d say that was proper ■■■■■■

So what if it’s crap money…you get a new lorry every 3 years, spotlights, allowed to take it to Truckfest (unpaid of course).
No pleasing some people :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chas:
Basic is £7.12 for 40hrs

Sadly, that is a good hourly rate in the current climate, I’ve seen a thousand jobs offering a pound an hour less.

Harry Monk:

Chas:
Basic is £7.12 for 40hrs

Sadly, that is a good hourly rate in the current climate, I’ve seen a thousand jobs offering a pound an hour less.

It’s not a “good” hourly rate in any climate & I guess the reason why there’s 1000’s of adverts is 'cos there aren’t 1000’s daft enuff to fill 'em.

If I was desperate, if my kids were hungry & the house was near repossession, then I’d be the first to snap his hand off. But £7.12 for earlys & lates working weekends■■?

Do we really need to prostitute ourselve’s to keep these scumbags in business?

Muckaway:
So what if it’s crap money…you get a new lorry every 3 years, spotlights, allowed to take it to Truckfest (unpaid of course).
No pleasing some people :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lol

Harry Monk:

Chas:
Basic is £7.12 for 40hrs

It might be a good rate for somewhere like Rockall, but in reality it isn’t much better than —all! :smiling_imp:

What do you class as a good rate for that working pattern?

hgvhgv:

I reckon £400 basic with £80 shift allowance is about right. :smiley:
Overtime @ 1.5 after 8 hours a day, POA paid as per normal hours aggregate. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m serious! :astonished: :open_mouth: :wink:

Say for a 60 hr week that would probably work out more than what im on for 5x 12hr night shifts on class 1. Depends on the area its offered in (i know that shouldnt be the case but it is) my partner does the same hours/ same job as me for £14k a year more :cry:

5 years ago, I was on 7.63 ph for one of the cushiest jobs I’ve ever had. It wasn’t good money, but in terms of effort:pay ratio it was great.

7.12 for loads of hard work and silly o’clock shift times is just no better than ■■■■ ing for coins.

Effort for pay ratio? - Hmm.

I’m a straight hourly rate guy. I can’t buy more time at the end of my life by wasting more standing around driinking tea now, so I’d rather just cram away, and coin as much as I can.

Offer me £25ph and I’ll run up the stairs with the brown food/bread trays alongside all the fit young guys prepared to do it for fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

Being offered a 10 hour job & £10ph that is easily do-able in 5 hours works out at £20ph if you think about it, so holding out for £25 isn’t as far fetched as one might think! :open_mouth:

Tuckwells pay a similar amount to the one quoted, on old motors but the drivers spend most of the day in our lorry park. Running to their place I could easily do 5 without speeding and an extra break here and there (my lorry rate was £8.40). Their drivers would struggle above 3 despite parking where they tip.

Winseer:

hgvhgv:

I reckon £400 basic with £80 shift allowance is about right. :smiley:
Overtime @ 1.5 after 8 hours a day, POA paid as per normal hours aggregate. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m serious! :astonished: :open_mouth: :wink:

Sounds about right! I dont know if this is a good rate or not. 9.48 ph, 48 hr week, 6 on 2 off on a rolling rota, ot @14.50ph. class 2, upto 7 drops a day flexi start times?

Tesco are advertising for homeworkers,the starting salary is £7.35 rising to £7 76.apply to www.tescocustomerservice-careers.com.Let us know how you get on.

class 2 RO-RO drivers at our place are paid £8.16 p/h & then 1.5 after they have done their 39 hours basisc.
don’t know what that compares to anyone else on here who is on a class 2 rate.

jrl driver:
class 2 RO-RO drivers at our place are paid £8.16 p/h & then 1.5 after they have done their 39 hours basisc.
don’t know what that compares to anyone else on here who is on a class 2 rate.

I was on roughly £440 pw on class 2 for 50 hours, based on £45 load bonus (legal as I always stuck to speed limits). Now with same company as plant op I’m on just under £500 for 50 hours. I do most Saturday mornings so this goes upto around £565.
I don’t get why as a lorry driver, my wages are based on what the lorry earns whereas I get the same on plant if i load 10 or 100 lorries. I’d rather drive a tipper but why should I rush about when I can stay in a quarry driving top of the range kit for more money?