Compensation claims

I had an accident at work about a month ago, where I slipped on a permanent ladder [leading up to a loading bay], and fell chest first onto a concrete ledge. Did myself a nasty rib injury which still has not cleared up, and has forced me to be off sick [unpaid] for 3 of the last 4 weeks, and it looks like I will be off for at least one more week.
I have been advised by my employer to sue the owner of the loading bay for compensation [lost wages, injury etc.]. Does anyone have any experience of similar claims who can point me in the right direction?
I have always believed that these “no win, no fee” companies are a bunch of chancers who seek to line their own pockets, so can anyone recommend a decent company who might actually pass on some of the claim to me?
I live in the west of Scotland area.
Thanks.
Al.

I would strongly suggest your first port of call should be the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, that way you will get sound guidance and a list of genuine Solicitor’s who can help.

Did you fill the accident book in and report it

Dafman:
Did you fill the accident book in and report it

Yes, that was all done before I went off to casualty.
Have also been to see my own GP, and a physio.

Al.

CM:
I would strongly suggest your first port of call should be the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, that way you will get sound guidance and a list of genuine Solicitor’s who can help.

Good thinking, CM… Will give them a call in the morning. Thanks.

Al.

you have filled in the accident report book and got a hospital report,take it to a good lawyer and see what he says.i’d stay clear of them no win no fee places.good luck,by the way it was nice talking to you the other week. :wink:

1st of all dont believe everything you here about massive compensation claims its all a myth

2nd go to CAB as said above and get a proper brief who will work for you and not for himself

3rd blag it as much as you can :wink:

3 years ago i was stuck under this and ive just been paid out a nice few quid for dragging it out

simon

the drinks are on simon lads :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:
by the way it was nice talking to you the other week. :wink:

Likewise, Kitkat.
Was in today to hand in sick line, and had a chat with the boss, so hopefully I still have a job to go back to [still on 3 month trial period].
Hope to be back in about a week.

Al

kitkat:

You’re joking man the wife has already destroyed it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

simon

Simon, looks like a sore one, ouch!! Glad you’re ok now, and been sorted out with the compensation.
Re large amounts of cash; I know I would need to cross the Atlantic for that, so I will be happy if they pay the lost wages [plus overtime of course!] for the time I am off.

Al.

SimonRS2K:

kitkat:

simon

usual cry from man under thumb :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:

SimonRS2K:

kitkat:

simon

usual cry from man under thumb :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I wish it was just the thumb :blush: :cry: :wink:

simon

alcraw62:
Simon, looks like a sore one, ouch!! Glad you’re ok now, and been sorted out with the compensation.
Re large amounts of cash; I know I would need to cross the Atlantic for that, so I will be happy if they pay the lost wages [plus overtime of course!] for the time I am off.

Al.

Al, you suggest in your earlier post that you are on 3 months trial. This suggests you are employed on the books, that being the case your emplyer should be paying you SSP and claiming it back from HMG. At least that is the position south of the wall, is it different in Scotland?

CM:
that being the case your emplyer should be paying you SSP and claiming it back from HMG. At least that is the position south of the wall, is it different in Scotland?

I’m new to all this, so I’m afraid I don’t know!
In my last full time job [not related to driving], then if you were off sick you got full pay for up to 6 months, then half pay for the next 6 months, then zero pay. As far as I know, the company I am with just now will pay sick pay once you have been with them for over 3 months. Of course, sod’s law being what it is, I have only been with them for 2 months.

Al.

most companies have different policies on this ssp stuff,why don’t you try the dss and see what they say about ssp :wink:

kitkat:
most companies have different policies on this ssp stuff,why don’t you try the dss and see what they say about ssp :wink:

Yes Kitkat that would also be worth the price of a phone call. Give them a call Al, nothing ventured and all that!

I had an accident at work. Was crushed between two trucks, and one was moving at the time. The curtainsider (moving) did the most damage by ripping my arm out of its socket.

I’m with TGWU and they’ve sorted it all for me and stuff. I had SSP but wasn’t off work long, as as I had not long gone permanent didn’t want to lose the job over it.

I’m just properly getting over it now and can move things and do things without it hurting. The compensation side is still pending.

You should be on SSP on all accounts by what I’ve read! Unless you’re different up North :slight_smile:

Good luck.

kitkat:

Fortunately, I have a pension coming in from a previous life!!
The DSS just have a laugh at you when the chips are down, because the pension keeps my income above the level of “the legal minimum” which according to them is about £70 per week.
With their specially trained obstructive staff and barriers of red tape, I am sure they would manage to duck out of paying me anything. Far better that our taxes are used on more deserving cases :confused: We all know the ones I mean. By the way, I have no problem with the genuine cases.

Al.

alcraw62:

kitkat:

Fortunately, I have a pension coming in from a previous life!!
The DSS just have a laugh at you when the chips are down, because the pension keeps my income above the level of “the legal minimum” which according to them is about £70 per week.
With their specially trained obstructive staff and barriers of red tape, I am sure they would manage to duck out of paying me anything. Far better that our taxes are used on more deserving cases :confused: We all know the ones I mean. By the way, I have no problem with the genuine cases.

Al.

I would then be thumping the desk arguing that you are a genuine case, you did not injure yourself intentionally, but I know what you mean, typical of GB regardless of Government.