Comparison of MPG

What unit would be the most fuel efficiant between say Volvo, Scania, MAN, DAF etc, given the same route with same driver & load & of course equal HP & gearbox?
Between say a five or six year old unit?

Or compared to an ERF E series?

Not sure about a 6 year old unit but we did trials on all four. Volvo and Scania returned the highest, then MAN followed by DAF.

We ran them on the same rout fully loaded 44t with the same driver who returned each time within 2 mins.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi All
Dont ask lorry drivers they all 20 to 30 mpg @ 44t because they all earn £500 per week extra on their fuel bonuses. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The Volvo would be the worst, that I can say, other than that it all depends on so many other factors, especially when you get into Euro4/5, then all the emissions crap can have a massive impact on mpg if it’s not 100% right.

But, if everything was equal (tyres, road conditions, weather etc) and the trucks were in tip top condition it would be hard to seperate the Daf and the MAN :wink:

Thanks for the replies. But one bloke says DAF is the worst & another says its the best!
What i am thinking is if I were to buy a second hand unit a few years old for occaisional work which would be the best?

gripjim:
Thanks for the replies. But one bloke says DAF is the worst & another says its the best!
What i am thinking is if I were to buy a second hand unit a few years old for occaisional work which would be the best?

I ran an X reg 6x2 420 Scania for nearly seven years until March this year, I worked full time on container haulage, my average mpg over that time was 9.5mpg. Ps, I have the records to prove it, Regards kevmac47.

kevmac47:

gripjim:

I ran an X reg 6x2 420 Scania for nearly seven years until March this year, I worked full time on container haulage, my average mpg over that time was 9.5mpg. Ps, I have the records to prove it, Regards kevmac47.

You would do a lot better than that in a 240 Percy powered Big J[whats a Big J I hear someone say!!!■■?]

David :astonished:

Guy! Yer but no air suspension? Or had they?

gripjim:
Guy! Yer but no air suspension? Or had they?

No Gripjim,no air suspension to the seat or the Guy unit,however,both Smith of Maddiston and Humber McVeighs has air bag suspension to some of their trailers,quite often you would reverse under the pin,connect the air lines up,only to find that only 1 side would rise,meaning you had a flat bag on the other side,nothing to do but get the bag changed,so that trailer didnt go out for another night!

David :slight_smile:

Thanks 5th wheel. I can remember Humber McVieghs!
So Im thinking the best option is second hand Scania?