Company’s that don’t send trampers truck out at weekends

My question is, why so many tramping jobs been advertised as day rate? No one wants to pay by the hour anymore?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bino10:
My question is, why so many tramping jobs been advertised as day rate? No one wants to pay by the hour anymore?

For some reason day rate good for company and drivers.Company have fixed money.If driver work and get money per hours that he sometime “taked time so long”.And driver can taked long break or stop at town for extra time and after drive again.Most trampers work just about 12 hours.

Andrejs:

Bino10:

For some reason day rate good for company and drivers.Company have fixed money.If driver work and get money per hours that he sometime “taked time so long”.And driver can taked long break or stop at town for extra time and after drive again.Most trampers work just about 12 hours.

About right.
No need to “hang the job out” to make money. No need to worry about taking an extra 5 minutes on a break. Load not ready until next day? No need to worry about guaranteed hours.
On the other hand doing a long spread may make your hourly rate for that day look poor, but “swings and roundabouts”.
Company knows its pay liability at years end, and drivers know how much they will earn at year`s end too.

Many Companies these days have clients that require 24/7 operations,given the fact that Drivers have a restriction on their work time and cant work 24/7 Companies cant afford to have motors standing in the yard,when they could be out earning money.
Common sense to send a motor out irrespective whose uses it on days /nights or “tramping” its the Companies vehicle to do as they please NOT YOURS.

Bino10:

I’ll not state the company, but the drivers operate from Carlisle. On a Friday, sometimes a Saturday morning, the driver walks away with his keys, and the truck doesn’t move until he returns on Monday morning! Very occasionally, he has a Monday off, the truck doesn’t move till he returns to it on the Tuesday.

He’s a tramper, maxing his hours cos the more hours he works, the more money he earns. And he’s paid by the hour!

When driver/tramper work by day rate that he do same job much more quicly,use less diesel per miles.

I did my first tramping job few weeks ago. Getting an incredible very good money maximising my hours through the agency.

Exchanged few words with the full timers and found put they were getting £115 daily rate.

Then I knew I wouldn’t be there for too long. Too much of a difference. It lasted 3 weeks til they paid for one of the full timers ADR and that was me gone.

I would never consider doing the job for less than 180/175 ltd a day

I’ve just rang my lot up to ask if ‘‘my truck’’ is in yard to go and collect duvets curtains etc to wash…it is.
I don’t have a problem with it being used (why would I as I’ve already said) the boss says he’s had a certain guy on it, that is an ok type of a guy and not a ■■■■ tramp.
He knows what I’m like for being a perfectionist, so he asked me if I was tidying out today also (still on holiday btw) I said no I’ll do it on my start back time…Wed lunchtime.
Told not a problem…, so I’ll get a couple of hours pay for it.
Job sorted. :sunglasses:

animal:
Sorry couldn’t work for you as I don’t double man

I’ll take you off the list :wink: TBH, couldn’t do it myself for long, but that’s the job and it seems to suit plenty of them.

When I take our boat back to near Colchester after doing our fortnight it gets parked up for our two weeks at home unless there is a problem with the other boat, the boss man dont want the other crew buggering about with things on ours and nor do I !!

albion:

animal:

I’ll take you off the list :wink: TBH, couldn’t do it myself for long, but that’s the job and it seems to suit plenty of them.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Unless of course you have another female driver

animal:

albion:

animal:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Unless of course you have another female driver

I think that Ms Ko-Ko has got another female driver. I`m sure KO-K… sorry Albion… mentioned a Wife/Husband driving team elsewhere.

Franglais:

animal:

albion:

animal:

I think that Ms Ko-Ko has got another female driver. I`m sure KO-K… sorry Albion… mentioned a Wife/Husband driving team elsewhere.

Have a brownie point Mr Franglais! Yes married couple, being crewing on vans for over 20 years. Fond as I was of Mr A, I’d have killed him after a few years of that :neutral_face:

Sod that, running team with the wife, one of us would end up waiting at a bus stop somewhere. And when I say one of us, I mean me [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Sod that, running team with the wife, one of us would end up waiting at a bus stop somewhere. And when I say one of us, I mean me [emoji16][emoji16]

Same here, fiesty senorita isnt the word for KarlaG, only little but she dishes out the specialty of a crack around the head and kick in the shins far too often… :grimacing:

I sleep with one eye open when I’m home, doing that on the road too would mean I never got a decent night’s kip. Running team requires a lot of patience, I’ve done it with my uncle, he’s the same age as me and we grew up like brothers, that was ok as it wad in the days when crossing the channel meant any hour’s laws were optional, we ran a 4-8hr shift each then slept while the other one drove, it was all drop and swap demount intermodal tilts on an A frame wagon and drag and the lorry never stopped all week, we would often do a Chalons sur Soane turnaround in less than 24hrs and we never had time to get on each others nerves. Running with the wife would be an entirely different thing though and fair play to those that manage to do it.