Company’s that don’t send trampers truck out at weekends

Wheel Nut:
One mans gold is another mans rubbish. I remember a boss of mine taking “someone else’s lorry” out, he found a notice taped to the steering wheel, after ripping that up and removing all the [zb] in the windows, flags, spears, fanny pelmets and air fresheners, he used it all weekend. [emoji23][emoji12]

As you’ve brought the pelmet subject up I thought I’d ask WTF is that all about?
Given they went out of fashion in houses in the 70’s why do truckers persist with it as well as frilly curtains? I bet their other halves don’t allow it at home so is it done with tongue firmly placed in cheek or is it trucker chic that just won’t go out of fashion?

nomiS36:

Wheel Nut:
One mans gold is another mans rubbish. I remember a boss of mine taking “someone else’s lorry” out, he found a notice taped to the steering wheel, after ripping that up and removing all the [zb] in the windows, flags, spears, fanny pelmets and air fresheners, he used it all weekend. [emoji23][emoji12]

As you’ve brought the pelmet subject up I thought I’d ask WTF is that all about?
Given they went out of fashion in houses in the 70’s why do truckers persist with it as well as frilly curtains? I bet their other halves don’t allow it at home so is it done with tongue firmly placed in cheek or is it trucker chic that just won’t go out of fashion?

Schucks, it just makes the place feel like a home from home - look closely and you find a stereogram and a lava lamp somewhere in there. :smiley:

albion:

Franglais:

albion:
You lot would hate our place. Double manned, motors get swapped around between drivers all the time. No agency though.

The difference being that your drivers don`t sleep in the trucks though?

OK, sleeping in hotels isnt your own bed. But hotels have cleaners. At our place we have a few trusted drivers who cover when were on hols. No problems. They are good people who leave the trucks clean. (never have ten minutes to top up diesel on Friday, but … :smiley:))
I can imagine coming back to “your truck” expecting to spend the next five nights in it to be confronted with …a mess… I wouldn`t be happy.

There are some nights in the truck, but not that often. Being a,small company, people stay on top of the cleaning mostly.

Sorry couldn’t work for you as I don’t double man

Socketset:

nomiS36:

Wheel Nut:

Schucks, it just makes the place feel like a home from home - look closely and you find a stereogram and a lava lamp somewhere in there. :smiley:

And a Watneys Party 7 in the side locker :grimacing:

Wheel Nut:

Years ago before they went bust Pawsons wagons where like that, one of which looked like a tarts boudoir with maroon velour stuck to the interior/floor and aforementioned frilly curtains paid for by the Driver, I even found a samurai sword secreted behind the seat for those road rage moments. The icing on the cake was while the Driver was on holiday his mates where ringing him up and telling him that a scruffy agency driver was in “his” truck, needless to say it ended up with him ringing me up from benidorm ranting about keeping it clean etc so I just told him to STFU and put the phone down. The next ranting call resulted in as much tat as possible being removed from the inside and dumped in the Office

Some drivers/tramper moaning about cab cleanest and bad agency drivers.But why not by seat cover,mattresses ■■■■ cover and put in place.All another in plastic .So easy to clean.Leave you mattresses and seat with cover and will be no problem after any drivers and better for self.

I don’t believe that a lorry that a driver lives in all week should be let loose on a weekend to just anybody. It’s an asset/tool and it’s there to earn money first and foremost, however it’s unlikely that a company that sends lorries out all week will have weekend work, those that do will usually have a portion of the fleet on day work all week and these can be used for weekend work.

If such a lorry is needed at the weekend, personally I would ensure that whoever used it treated it appropriately. My other lorry goes away all week, it has one driver and that’s it, when he goes on holiday it gets parked up until he gets back unless I take it out myself and if that was the case, he’ll get it back cleaner than he left it as I’m a bit OCD.

I use the time it’s parked to get work done on it and the lorry I drive, service them a bit early maybe even stretch the intervals to get them done at that time, replace some bits that are going to need replacing in the near future etc. All in order to reduce downtime when he is back off his holidays.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Funnily enough I was chatting to a mate of mine (yes I have friends honest) who works for Wincanton tramping about this very topic. He had a nice Merc, flat floor, microwave, fridge etc… good looking bloke and great in the sack.
Anyway he was telling me his truck is allocated to him, doesn’t go out the weekends and only driven by Wincantons own holiday relief drivers when he is off.

He then went on to tell me he cleared £650 a week and something about an embassy seige he was involved in so I switched off.

nomiS36:

They look good and I can only speak for myself here but my curtains are a huge upgrade from the originals, totally black out and thermal lined so keep the heat in well, not that it’s needed at the moment. Keeps the cool in from the pod though. The cheap coloured ones with the gold tassels that are a tat shop special aren’t to my taste but each to their own and if it makes them happy, so what. They’re just trying to be like those of us with bespoke, hand made ones, they aren’t doing any harm.

My company sends our trucks out on our days off, usually only to tip a couple of local trailers, do a changeover or the like. It’s a couple of older guys who do it and minus a few less biscuits and the seat moved they come back exactly as they left. All our drivers take pride in the job so it wouldn’t bother if anyone took mine out. No agency halfwits here either.

I can’t understand the hatred of others having nice trucks and things like curtains and pelmets or the ripping down of others’ stuff. Just shows the lack of respect these people have.

I too had my heavy oriental curtains fitted more for practical reasons than anything else. I got mine at a fraction of the UK price made-to-measure in Tangiers some years ago. They were far better than any factory curtains in that they kept the daylight out in summer, kept the warmth in in winter, and left no cracks for ne’er-do-wells to see where you’ve hidden your wallet! All my employers respected whatever I dressed my cab up as. Whereas I have little respect for the kind of behaviour shown by the boss up the page who tore everything down, I rather suspect that the contents of that note left on the steering wheel is a gigantic clue as to why he acted as he did :wink:, in which case one might be left respecting the boss but not his behaviour! :laughing: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I too had my heavy oriental curtains fitted more for practical reasons than anything else. I got mine at a fraction of the UK price made-to-measure in Tangiers some years ago. They were far better than any factory curtains in that they kept the daylight out in summer, kept the warmth in in winter, and left no cracks for ne’er-do-wells to see where you’ve hidden your wallet! All my employers respected whatever I dressed my cab up as. Whereas I have little respect for the kind of behaviour shown by the boss up the page who tore everything down, I rather suspect that the contents of that note left on the steering wheel is a gigantic clue as to why he acted as he did :wink:, in which case one might be left respecting the boss but not his behaviour! :laughing: Robert

If it had been me that boss would quickly have found himself a driver less. I would never work for someone like that, just shows complete contempt for his own driver.

That is a bit stupid, if there was a rule in place that such things were not allowed, maybe take them down, or tell the driver to remove them, but ripping them out is not on. But only that, who wants a ■■■■■■ off driver in control of their lorry, there are many ways a driver can cost you money without doing anything illegal or blatantly obvious.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

+1 and I would add that a driver who takes care of the cab is more likely to take care of the rest of the lorry. Robert

Dipper_Dave:
Funnily enough I was chatting to a mate of mine (yes I have friends honest) who works for Wincanton tramping about this very topic. He had a nice Merc, flat floor, microwave, fridge etc… good looking bloke and great in the sack.
Anyway he was telling me his truck is allocated to him, doesn’t go out the weekends and only driven by Wincantons own holiday relief drivers when he is off.

He then went on to tell me he cleared £650 a week and something about an embassy seige he was involved in so I switched off.

You’re probably right about the embassy siege, and I’ll take your word for what he was like in the sack :wink: , but everything else is true!

Don’t do tramping but whenever a driver says my lorry to my boss he says who’s names on the door then?
Or the other one is if you want the bills and hassle you can buy the ■■■■■■■ thing.

I was just tittering to myself in the nursing home.

Driving a TK Bedford and lifting the steering wheel cap off to find a little note.

Normally it was Nosey ■■■■ but I have seen others, “If you have time to read this you’re not working hard enough”

Or, “your missus is at home tonight” “isn’t she?”

Wheel Nut:
I was just tittering to myself in the nursing home.

Driving a TK Bedford and lifting the steering wheel cap off to find a little note.

Normally it was Nosey [zb] but I have seen others, “If you have time to read this you’re not working hard enough”

Or, “your missus is at home tonight” “isn’t she?”

That would amuse me no end

My company make it a condition of employment that drivers must be prepared to work every other weekend, it does not effect me because when I started we had no weekend deliveries and so my contract does not include weekend work, I will sometimes deliver to Ben & Jerry’s on a Sunday afternoon as a favour if they are stuck but I always go home after the delivery, we get $100.00 extra if we deliver during the weekend for either day, so if we work the whole weekend we get $200.00 extra. As it happens we are advertising for liquid tanker drivers this week, expect $1,150 to $1,500 a week if you are interested and have US residency guys :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
+1 and I would add that a driver who takes care of the cab is more likely to take care of the rest of the lorry. Robert

^^^^^^^
This.
All our R620’s and FH500’s are fitted from new side deflectors, light bars and Durabrite Alcoas and drivers can fit whatever added extras they choose and if help is needed the workshop does it for them. We also have a no damage bonus which also helps keep the fleet immaculate.

EDIT-company trucks, not mine…

I had a light bar on my own lorry. After 600 thousand kms and three and a half years it was clear that it’s of no use on a truck without a tag and hooks for chains.