Company passing on a fine, who should pay?

Hi all, new to the job and new to the board.

Would it be reasonable to say I’m not at fault?

I am currently working for a supermarket chain, I was given one of there old trucks, a satnav with the stores programmed, and my paperwork. Sounds easy enough? One day my run was in Bradford the truck being so old I get a CAZ fine £60 + £50 for the charge.

Company will have to pay :slight_smile:

It sounds a daft question but does the firm allow you to use your own HGV specific sat nav that may have up to date information on CAZ and additional important information such as weight limits?

I hope you are not one of these that use cheap Chinese ones off EBay or a mate, for £40 that are designed for cars and not trucks?

I am on about a sat nav for personal use and not the one installed in your cab that day.

The planner for allocating you the truck in the first place

Henry Stephens:
It sounds a daft question but does the firm allow you to use your own HGV specific sat nav that may have up to date information on CAZ and additional important information such as weight limits?

I hope you are not one of these that use cheap Chinese ones off EBay or a mate, for £40 that are designed for cars and not trucks?

I am on about a sat nav for personal use and not the one installed in your cab that day.

Read the post , he was give a preprogrammed Sat Nav from office why would he use his own ?

Because the pre-programmed sat nav may not be updated for the CAZ.

at travis perkins (other firms may be the same ) you sign your pod every morning ,and one of the things on the pod is use only company supplied sat nav " .the pod is actually the same software /mapping as supplied to dpd vans. it was absolute garbage .

Henry Stephens:
Because the pre-programmed sat nav may not be updated for the CAZ.

Their problem not he’s as he would probably be disciplined for not using supplied sat nav ,
These corporates are like that , the mere driver must not think for him self

Good point there B.E.

Henry Stephens:

Thanks for the helps guys I thought I was being the escape goat.

As for the satnav they are garmen, intact same model as mine that cost me £500 from Argos. But we are not allowed to change settings or update as that’s the trainer’s job we are told to type the store number in and crack on (obviously diverting in the case of low bridges and weight limits).

I have been told now if I get Bradford never go in less than a 64 plate, doesn’t seem to help now as most of the fleet are old 13 plates

Henry Stephens:

I have an Xgody chinese sat nav and they also have truck settings on them, and it has never let me down in over 4 years, it is fully updateable if you know where to get the maps from online, and uses the same software that some truck sat navs use. I paid less than £35. I would buy another one straight away if it ever breaks.

I have gone through about three Snoopers with the inbuilt television and constant screen freezing for the sat nav.

syramax:
at travis perkins (other firms may be the same ) you sign your pod every morning ,and one of the things on the pod is use only company supplied sat nav " .the pod is actually the same software /mapping as supplied to dpd vans. it was absolute garbage .

That sounds like the company Satnav I have to have running, but don’t have to follow. So If it routes you down a road that has been changed to a dead end do you call out recovery?

Or the crane company?

Did you have a discussion about it with your manager then Gary?