Company internal Driving Assessment

Hi guys,
I’m a novice LGV driver, been driving panel vans for 4 years prior obtaining Class 1 with ADR ticket on January. Since then I’ve been doing a bit of Class 2 agency job in vehicles that could be hard to describe as roadworthy. Anyway, after sending dozen of CVs and cover letters I’ve been asked to come on interview and driving assessment to big logistic company (Class 1). I’m a bit nervous as I havent driven Class 1 since my exam (just class 2). My question is - what should I expect on such assessment? What should I pay attention to, should I drive in same way as ‘exam way’ ie steering technique, etc or is it about something else? Should I pay detailed attention to vehicle checks as per cpc exam and stuff? I don’t have to mention that other then reversing artic onto bay on exam would take more then 1 attempt (as I had no way to do that in the past). I don’t want to ■■■■ that up, I really want to finally drive artic and do something that gives me sense of satisfaction…

Hi. Criteria varies between companies. But essentially they are looking for someone who isn’t going the damage the vehicle or their company image with poor driving.

Of course the checks are important - it’s not just for test/cpc. It’s real world and vital.

Continue to drive as you were trained. It really isn’t a party piece just for test. When people mention they have been driving for ■■ years, they normally follow up with a statement about “bad habits”. Think about it. If they are BAD habits, why the hell are we doing it??

To drive correctly is safer, more efficient, more professional, faster overall. So, having achieved a basic standard of safe driving, please take it seriously and build on it rather than slip into “bad habits”.

Under these circumstances, they are normally generous when it comes to reversing as that takes a lot of practice before it comes natural. But maintain safety at all times. Dont feel silly getting out to check. It’s considerably more silly to hit the vehicle/wall/boss’s car that was at the side of you.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It might be an idea to give the people you trained for your class 1 a call and see if they can take you out for an hour or 2 for a refresher, you won’t be under any pressure as you’ve already passed and it will just be to check you still remember all you need to, it could be money well spent if it gets you a job

I did one last friday for a company, with the grumpy transport manager himself, i had to couple up the trailer to an 04 scania topline with one million kms on it and was told it had a knackered fourth gear synchro “Which is a bit awkward,if you can drive this you can drive owt !” :unamused: i was told, "its being sold next week, the rest of the fleet are auto’s, a child could drive them just point and shoot "

After a short twenty minute drive, i had to back on a bay between the white lines, "no fancy pants blindsiding required,just take as much room and shunts as you need, uncouple the trailer, park unit over there and bring me the filled in tacho back to reception when your finished ".

Just stick to speed limits, check your mirrors as though on test, leave plenty of space for parked vehicles which you should be doing anyway to be fair. He said it was not a pass or fail test just about ability and safety whilst trying to keep in the green band.

Just keep calm and take your time.