Company Insurance Excess

Question that has been niggling me since i got billed from work for £300 or ripping the step of artic unit with concreate post.Is is legal to be charged the insurance excess for damage to wagon or is a just a question of ■■■■ it up and pay the £50 pound a month out of my wages as they are doing now?

army2483:
Question that has been niggling me since i got billed from work for £300 or ripping the step of artic unit with concreate post.Is is legal to be charged the insurance excess for damage to wagon or is a just a question of ■■■■ it up and pay the £50 pound a month out of my wages as they are doing now?

Hi army2483,

I’d suggest that you check the documentation that you signed when you joined the company.

Whether the deduction is for an insurance excess makes no difference, because under employment law, it’s still a deduction from your wages.
The type of deductions that don’t need your permission are things like income tax and NI contributions, because they are required by law. Other deductions usually need your permission and signature in advance of the deduction being made.

If there’s a mention of deductions for damages in your documentation and you’ve signed to that effect, then generally, you’re liable for the deductions. However, if there’s nothing that’s been brought to your attention that you have signed in advance of deductions being made**, then the deduction is usually regarded as an unlawful deduction.**
:bulb: The Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB) would probably be able to give you advice that’s relevant to your particular case.

Hi thanks for the reply I was given a contract but never signed it as wanted to take it home with me to read which was 3 months ago and still sittng at home unsigned.Handed notice in last week as they always telling me to pull tachos and the money wasnt worth it in the end £19 a night out allowence paying tolls in europe out of own pocket just wanted to find out if they could deduct the remaining £250 pound out of last wage packet.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK army2483 :wink:

army2483:

I don’t know if it’s legal for a company to make a driver pay insurance excess without the drivers consent but I would very much doubt it.

I once worked for a company that had a paragraph in the contract of employment that said I would have to pay insurance excess, I refused to sign it until the contract was changed which it was, I would advise anyone else to do the same.

I agree with dieseldave that you should contact CAB or speak to a solicitor if you have free access to legal advise like many people do these days.

Also forgot to mention in the contract was offered there was stipulation that any accidents or damage to trucks would incur the driver paying the £300 company excess but as i never signed the contract i dont think they can bill me for it■■?

One other note to add to all new drivers in the derbyshire area looking for experiance they are always looking for drivers for casual work or 18 tonne european drivers fair enough my experiance was not good but for the chance i got i was greatfull being a new driver myself european work each week to holland and belgium just that them wanting you to break rules was to far that i was willing to go if you pm me i will gladly give you the firm and good luck to any who sign on with them.

18 TONNE DRIVER £17000 a year you have to pay all tolls yourself ie severn bridge dartford you have to claim it all back on expenses which are paid monthly and be prepared to break a few driving hours rules but if your a new driver its a foot in the door Good Luck

army2483:
One other note to add to all new drivers in the derbyshire area looking for experiance they are always looking for drivers for casual work or 18 tonne european drivers fair enough my experiance was not good but for the chance i got i was greatfull being a new driver myself european work each week to holland and belgium just that them wanting you to break rules was to far that i was willing to go if you pm me i will gladly give you the firm and good luck to any who sign on with them.

18 TONNE DRIVER £17000 a year you have to pay all tolls yourself ie severn bridge dartford you have to claim it all back on expenses which are paid monthly and be prepared to break a few driving hours rules but if your a new driver its a foot in the door Good Luck

Hi army2483,

That firm sounds like a bit of a nightmare to work for. :open_mouth:

Let’s see now… the driver pays tolls, then claims them back monthly as expenses. :open_mouth:
The next thing may have been that they wanted you to front-up the ferry costs too!! :smiling_imp:
In my Euro days, we were given a float (cash) by the boss, but we had to account for it, so that was fair enough IMHO. The way that things are these days, I’d have thought that the company might give you a credit card and there are a fair number of these available for exactly the purpose of paying for tolls and fuel etc.

Now back to the deduction(s)… from what you’ve said, IMHO the company were a bit lax in not following up the fact that you hadn’t signed the contract.
Normally, the fact that you turned up for work and performed your side of the contract would be taken as you’ve accepted their terms and conditions.
However, IIRC the law on unlawful deductions is quite specific that your signature is required in advance of the deduction being made, so my advice about you going to the CAB is now even more relevant. I’d say that in your case, you do need a proper legal opinion, because it might be possible for you to recover the £50 installments that you’ve already paid.

The fact that you’ve decided to leave means that my usual tip about considering the possibility of upsetting the boss and leading to further problems at work now doesn’t apply, so you may as well go to the CAB to explore the possibility of recouping your cash now mate. :wink: :grimacing:

Having to pay your tolls then claim back hmmmmm I know when I worked for 1 comp I did pay some of the tolls as they were unexpected ( but was in uk ) I could have received them back when I got back to yard or at end of week but when it was a planned journey with tolls they gave me a cash float but I did have to account for all expenses as did all the other drivers

Taking money with out consent dont think they can do this but has been said I would go to see CAB or a solicitor ( 1st 30 min normally free )