Company Info-REM Transport,NB

REM Transport, St Stephen, NB, Any information on this company good or bad would be appreciated as I’ve been offered an interview for long haul truck driving. There web site has not got that much information on it regarding wages, turn over of staff/drivers, type of work and area of work, because of position in Canada I’m thinking alot of work to New York area therefore not a lot of miles if paid on this basis because of traffic.
Cheers
Shaun

On another forum there is a dutch owner operator who has been with them for several years and seems quite happy working for them.

crunchygear:
On another forum there is a dutch owner operator who has been with them for several years and seems quite happy working for them.

Thanks for that info, can you remember which other forum it was on please, cheers

They only employ shiny happy people, their driver “sidewinder” sleeps on his back8-)

It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy

I’ve worked for REM for 3 1/2 years, send me private message and I’ll give you all the info you need.

Dont bother with them. Pay is rubbish, you will get the oldest truck which will be crap. You will not earn what they say you will as they are short of work and put owner drivers first. You can sit for 1 hour to 5 days waiting for a reload for $50 a day layover. All the UK drivers have either left or are looking for other jobs, the ones with families are struggling to pay the bills. The main dispatcher does not like the english and is a liar, he also thinks he owns the place. The only good thing is the workshop/maintenance, also they are a nice crowd of drivers. If you want to see Canada/US you are better off going to Alberta, you earn more money and the runs from out there are more varied. If you go to New Brunswick chances are you will only do Eastern seaboard.
Houses are cheap in New Brunswick but on the whole it is expensive. Canada isnt all its cracked up to be but it could be worse. Most US trucks are crap, really outdated. Beware of company drivers singing the praises of companies they work for as they may be getting paid for any new driver they get to work for them, which is the case with REM.
Whatever you decide to do DO NOT USE an immigration agent, it will cost you a fortune and you
dont need them as you can do it all yourself and dont let any trucking company over here tell you different. Good Luck

Hey Lily, why don’t you stop beating around the bush and speak your mind :laughing:

Only telling how Ive seen it. Dont get me wrong New Brunswick is a nice place to live but work from here isnt great if you want to travel all over Canada/US and the wages are poor. Anyone who wants to come over and has property in UK should give things a go here before selling up in UK. Ive seen too many people go back to UK having to start again after being here less than a year, and lots of couples have split up. I personally would not go back to UK but I know
several people who would go on the next flight if they could. Western Canada is the way to go
if you want to earn more money and see the sights. Anybody coming out should get their residency ASAP and if they don`t like who they are working for they can work for whoever they like.
As far as REM like I said give them a miss, they have quite a high turnover of O/Ops and they
also have a lot of American drivers which dispatch prefers. Running the East Coast does involve a lot of traffic. The dutch O/OP mentioned does not go very far so he is not a good example of anyone working there. REM do cover all of the lower 48 states and Canada but you have to be a chosen favourite to do those runs most of their work is as far as Indiana and Illinois with the Carolinas chucked in and of course down the East Coast.
But on the up side…the snow is melting and the sun is shining :smiley:

lily:
Dont bother with them. Pay is rubbish, you will get the oldest truck which will be crap. You will not earn what they say you will as they are short of work and put owner drivers first. You can sit for 1 hour to 5 days waiting for a reload for $50 a day layover. All the UK drivers have either left or are looking for other jobs, the ones with families are struggling to pay the bills. The main dispatcher does not like the english and is a liar, he also thinks he owns the place. The only good thing is the workshop/maintenance, also they are a nice crowd of drivers. If you want to see Canada/US you are better off going to Alberta, you earn more money and the runs from out there are more varied. If you go to New Brunswick chances are you will only do Eastern seaboard.
Houses are cheap in New Brunswick but on the whole it is expensive. Canada isnt all its cracked up to be but it could be worse. Most US trucks are crap, really outdated. Beware of company drivers singing the praises of companies they work for as they may be getting paid for any new driver they get to work for them, which is the case with REM.
Whatever you decide to do DO NOT USE an immigration agent, it will cost you a fortune and you
dont need them as you can do it all yourself and dont let any trucking company over here tell you different. Good Luck

Obviously REM didn’t suit you! Yes the money isn’t the best in New Brunswick but you’ll earn what they tell you and the same as all there other Canadian drivers. As for the Brits leaving, 3 have left in the last 3 1/2yrs, one didn’t get on with the despatcher, one has gone onto local work and the other has come off the road all together. The despatcher doesn’t have a problem with any driver unless they mess him about and you’ll be hard pushed to find any despatcher that isn’t slightly economical with the truth to get his drivers to do things for them.
I’ve worked for REM 3 1/2 yrs and I’ve never had a problem with anyone in the office, I’ve driven from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island and 48 US states, just missing Alaska and Hawaii! Yes I did get the oldest truck when I first started but after 2 months I got a truck that was 4 months old and I got a brand new one 2 1/2 years after that, all the truck are replaced after 500,000miles at approx 4 years.
I will agree it can be tough being a driver with a family because it’s hard to balance home time and earnings but being a single guy it worked really well for me, in 2010 I had 10 trips out west, either Alberta or BC or both and I actually ended up with less miles than I guy with family that wanted to be home every week.
If anyone asks me about REM I’ll try my best to give a honest answer about them, I do not get anything if anyone decides to work for them.
I would say the same the thing to any guy from the UK that wants to come over to Canada and that is, do your research, don’t expect a 10hr a day day, expect to out for a least 5/6 days and to put the hours in. If you’re used to being home every night with your family then I’d say think very hard before you come out because it will be very tough for the first couple of years.
Finally good luck to anyone that decides to come out here.

Stu Leicester, are you the one the English midland driver was talking to at the Irving in Fairfield ME.

didster7:
Stu Leicester, are you the one the English midland driver was talking to at the Irving in Fairfield ME.

Nope, I work for REM mate.