Company high wind policy

Does anyone know which company’s have a high wind policy for high sided trailers.
What is the max wind speed for stoppages?
Do they put this policy into practice or say get yourself out there?
I’m out today fully loaded but coming back empty at 15’9".

Last time I was out in high winds, I phoned the boss and said that I AM parking up for the night early, due to the wind. When he queried this, I told him that an extra night out was cheaper then getting the truck stood back up and then towed home.

I can just imagine the response if I said it was a bit windy to be going out today/ tonight ,it wasn’t long ago our depot jack- knifed 15 :open_mouth: trucks in a few days in snow and they still continued too send trucks out .
Mind everyone else seemed too be getting on fine,so maybe they were hoping by watching other firms coping ok,that it might rub off on us/ learn how too drive in snow,but alas the carnage continued until we had no trucks left too jack- knife :exclamation:

if we are empty curtains are opened up back doors folded open onto the curtains, internal straps used then 3 straps over the roof and then crack on :wink:

D5UPE:
Does anyone know which company’s have a high wind policy for high sided trailers.

You’re the driver, you’re in charge. Its entirely at your discretion to decide if its too dangerous to take them out. If a company puts pressure on you to continue then they’re leaving themselves massively open to a major payout if anything happened. They’ll most likely stamp their feet, scream and shout and tell you all kinds of tales of woe of how it knackers things up for them and how “nice but dim Tim” would do it but ultimately they know that they cannot force you to.

I and plenty of others have refused to take double deckers out when its plainly too windy, usually a decision backed up by traffic reports on Radio 2 of wagons on their side. Yes you lose a day’s pay but it is better than ending up in hospital. If someone else is stupid enough to take it out then that is up to them.

Do what you feel is right for you, not your employer.

Its pretty simple really, is your life worth more than whatever it is you`re carrying ?

Most companies as always would leave it up to the driver, as they need someone to blame when it goes ■■■■ up, you can tell them your not driving any more because of the high winds, but at the end of the day, they dont give a monkeys, all they care about getting their goods from A to B and they dont care what a driver has to go through to get it there.

when was the last time you saw a dd on its side due to high winds :open_mouth:

Ours is aw the best going by last winter. Phoned them up one particularly windy night to see how things were down south I quote “there’s 4 over but you’ll be ok” :open_mouth: I pulled over for the night

We are told that if we get blown over, we are not to go any further… :confused:

shirts:
We are told that if we get blown over, we are not to go any further… :confused:

and can you also check driveshift for any play

russjp:
Its pretty simple really, is your life worth more than whatever it is you`re carrying ?

omfgg we have a chickening farmer, as in the avatar badge :smiley: :laughing: , not the post

nick2008:

Our lot reckon they are better in high winds than standard box vans,how do they work that out,saying that we have got more deckers than any other trailer and not one has gone over,yet :unamused:

The centre of gravity is lower on most DDs due to smaller wheels. A lot depends on loading as well.

gardun:
The centre of gravity is lower on most DDs due to smaller wheels. A lot depends on loading as well.

Ive had one today and sudden gusts dont seem ■■■■■■ the wheel like standard trailers :confused: :confused:

D5UPE:

depence if Wind comming from Front or Rear

seth 70:

nick2008:

Our lot reckon they are better in high winds than standard box vans,how do they work that out

Theres normally less of a gap between the bottom of the trailer and the road on a DD trailer giving the wind less purchase to get up underneath. Also, as mentioned, a lower centre of gravity.
Also, most trailers are around 14ft and doubles are 16ft. The 2ft isnt going to make a massive difference in the scheme of things.

nick2008:

February this year, at least half a dozen just before Tebay.

nick2008:

Never, the centre of gravity is much lower we have run them since they first became available and have never had one go over in the wind.

The biggest problem is the light weights the lazy and the useless who grasp at any excuse to avoid doing what they are paid to do, the slightest breeze sets them whingeing.

You just need to drive SLOWER :unamused: